So I was having a snoop for railwayania on Pinterest (feel free to judge!) and I came across this.

post-31208-0-62919100-1538499361_thumb.jpg

I know that the SECR did (possibly?) draft some 4-6-0s but this, to me, looks distinctly Robinson, very GCR- could it be a poster for through trains to the coast, holiday trains?

- Alex

• Like 1

Brilliant, thank you Jason! I see the Raven family lineage now. Makes you wonder what it's doing in St Leonards though...

Is it a poster, or a postcard? A poster would have more details on it (such as the name of the railway company) so I'd suggest this is a generic commercial postcard.

It just happens to use a NER loco, and it wouldn't surprise me if there were similar ones for other resorts using the same image. 

Is it a poster, or a postcard? A poster would have more details on it (such as the name of the railway company) so I'd suggest this is a generic commercial postcard.

It just happens to use a NER loco, and it wouldn't surprise me if there were similar ones for other resorts using the same image.

A bit like the surprising number of railway inns featuring GWR green 4-6-0s on their signs, despite the pub in question being at the other end of the country...

A bit like the surprising number of railway inns featuring GWR green 4-6-0s on their signs, despite the pub in question being at the other end of the country...

I once received a birthday card showing a Castle passing through Sydney Gardens in Bath.

Not that unusual, one might think, but this Castle was liveried by the benighted "graphic artist" who cooked up the card IN RED.

This was long before "Hogwarts Castle" was thought of btw.

• Like 1

It's definitely NER. I agree with the above, it's probably a generic postcard which would have been simply tinted into an approximation of the local livery...

b15.jpg

Which makes me wonder...

How about an Umber one?!

Anyway, I think this is more than enough excuse for you to justify an NER Raven 4-6-0 on Blackstone, Alex! I believe this one is an S2 (B15 for you modern LNER people!), for which I have yet to find an available kit. I like the looks, and if I can get it to fit an RTR chassis... sigh. Another one on the list...

Edit: If you want something even weirder for 'Blackstone' then how about this variation of the S2?

b15_uniflow.jpg

An explanation as to the strange-looking cylinders is offered here: https://www.lner.info/locos/B/b15.php

"The last B15, No. 825, was built with Stumpf Uniflow cylinders. The Uniflow arrangement was intended to avoid condensation in the cylinders, by having separate intake and exhaust ports on the cylinders. Steam flow was in one direction, hence "Uniflow". The main handicap with this system was than the exhaust ports were always of the same size, but the intake ports could vary in size according to the cut-off position. Comparative trials in 1913 were sufficient that after World War 1, the system was fitted to the last of the Class Z (LNER C7) Atlantics. Further experience showed that the improvement was not as great in normal running, and was negated by the special attention required of these two experimental locomotives. In March 1924, No. 825 was rebuilt with conventional cylinders to match the other members of the class."

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 3

This inspired me to look up "Just arrived at... Postcards"...

0_post_card_views_unidentified_crich_06_

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-SOUTHERN-RAILWAY-CONSTITUENT-COMPANIES/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-THE-LONDON-SOUTH-WESTERN-RAILWAY/i-t4GhrFC

Spot the LSWR T14! It seems the practice of using irrelevant locos to the location was not unique to St Leonards. At least the T14 in the Edinburgh one does, at a glance, bear a passing resemblance to contemporary CR machines. As a random aside, can anyone identify the coaches in the above image? I guess that they're LSWR ones but something is telling me otherwise, and I'm not sure why!

I'm going to start irritating people with multiple posts now... sorry!

I couldn't resist a basic attempt at one in Umber:

post-33498-0-59284400-1538558829.png

I quite like that...

Edited by sem34090

Okay, so this probably belongs in the 'Imaginary Locos' thread, but... meh. It's an SECR 4-6-0.

post-33498-0-37841700-1538565720.png

• Like 3

Okay, so this probably belongs in the 'Imaginary Locos' thread, but... meh. It's an SECR 4-6-0.

attachicon.gifOh dear.png

Who wants to volunteer to bend that splasher from brass?

A late friend produced a batch of 4-4-0s in Gauge 1, where the cab sides and splasher fronts were milled from solid brass, to get the right effect. This wasn’t CNC milled, either.

Looks very much like a generic postcard, as the place name is in a different typeface.

As if they print up a big batch (colour = expensive) and then overprint in black ( = cheaper) to "personalise" them for different places.

I think that is probably the truth, and perhaps the rough resemblance of the loco livery to SECR Wainwright is purely coincidental? It's not a very close resemblance to that livery, so is probably generic.

Very close to the actual Ashford proposal of 1907. This would have had a larger diameter boiler and a Belpaire firebox, though. Details in the RCTS Locos of the SECR and Railway Modeller July 1991, along with a proposed Atlantic.

Oh dear, I get seasick just looking at those splashers.

Yes, would probably have a belpaire, like the E, but very good.

• Like 1

How does the fireman feed the second firebox - the one ahead of the middle driving axle?

Also, why is there such a long forward platform ahead of the smokebox? - I would have expected the cylinder centre-line and bogie centre-line to be approximately co-incident with the chimney centre-line.

Have a look at a drawing of a GER 1500 class (LNER B12).

Regards

Chris H

How does the fireman feed the second firebox - the one ahead of the middle driving axle?

:)

That’s just the moulded skirt, to hide the worm wheel from view.

I feel like the drivers would need to be closer together and possible have an overall splasher a la GCR or LSW rather than individual ones, in order to look more cohesive. The bogie should be moved about a foot backwards to be central under the smokebox, and then this would allow a shorter front frame? It just looks excessively long and not in a glamorous way, like the LSWs or Caledonians managed.

- Alex

I agree wholeheartedly with all of the above, but I only had seven spare minutes to do it in!

I may do a proper version later, if I have time.

So, is this any more convincing?

post-33498-0-84326300-1538646220.png

- Larger Boiler

- Closer-spaced driving wheels

- Running Plate Shortened

- Single Splasher

- Reduced-Height Chimney & Dome

- Bogie moved further back

- Belpaire Firebox

Personally, I think it looks a lot better... and if at some point I can be bothered I may yet model it!

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 2

You still have an extra firebox between the first and second drivers...

I know, but that one only filled 12 spare minutes! Some day I may actually do it properly...

Looks like a Wainwright finish applied to something LNWR.

That is not a bad thing.