Cakebox Challenge - The End ( in a day...)

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

None of us are germ free, you should know that with your career history, but I am sufficiently recovered to be not sneezing or coughing every other minute.

As part of our staff we have an ex-GP and at least one practicing nurse , so should there be an outbreak of somekind help should be at hand.

More importantly though, I'm now getting under SWMBO's feet.

• RMweb Premium

None of us are germ free, you should know that with your career history, but I am sufficiently recovered to be not sneezing or coughing every other minute.

As part of our staff we have an ex-GP and at least one practicing nurse , so should there be an outbreak of somekind help should be at hand.

More importantly though, I'm now getting under SWMBO's feet.

Tell her to mind where she walks then you won't be trodden on. :nono:

• RMweb Gold

Re-worked 'description'.

I'll need a couple of figures, a radio reporter talking to a long time resident of the area, stood on the roadway outside the shop. 

"It's all changed, y'know. This road used to go right through to the High Street, before they chopped it in half. And what is it for, that building?  It’s a real eyesore as well.

‘Mother Gregg’s Bakery’ was just there, next to ‘Simpson and Son, Gentlemen's Outfitters’. Both long gone. Across the road was the grocers, ‘Wainwrights’, and Jim the Barber. He did everyone round here.”

“The little workshop there used to make sideboards and coffins – they shut when the railway came and took all their trade away – people could get stuff from those catalogues instead.”

“But it's all gone. Sad, really. You could catch a bus on the corner and go up town for a night. Not anymore. And now ‘Lightfoots’ has closed too. I used to get all my bits and pieces there, and they sold hats 'n' things for weddings. The flat upstairs is still used by a couple of the local girls, but it'll be bulldozed too, soon. A new carpark for the station, I hear. And they call that progress."

• Like 3

Disused warehouse-type building. Needs the roof painting a bit more.

attachicon.gif20181004_123559.jpg

And a couple of overall progress shots.

attachicon.gif20181004_124244.jpg

attachicon.gif20181004_124301.jpg

Jack Bauer and a disused warehouse.

Is this the bit where he thinks he's found and defused a nuke only to discover that someone has unleashed a deadly virus in Airforce One's shower cubicle? 

Going well.  Like the ersatz cobbles.  You've certainly made a virtue of necessity there.

• Like 1

Jack Bauer and a disused warehouse.

Is this the bit where he thinks he's found and defused a nuke only to discover that someone has unleashed a deadly virus in Airforce One's shower cubicle? 

Going well.  Like the ersatz cobbles.  You've certainly made a virtue of necessity there.

With the current incumbent of the White House, a deadly virus in AF1s shower would be pretty desirable.  Perhaps it could dissolve his hair?

Very......well I was going to say smart but that is not what you are looking for...…..

Tired and unloved, good job we don't have smell-a-vision otherwise we would be getting the odour of decay and damp.

Very effective.

Are you planning any graffiti or posters to add to the feel of urban destitution.

• RMweb Gold

I need to add the shop name and a sign on the factory, but probably not much else. I've thought about a phone box too, but that would be too useful and detract from the general level of abandonment.

Edited by Stubby47

I need to add the shop name and a sign on the factory, but probably not much else. I've thought about a phone box too, but that would be too useful and detract from the general level ofl abandonment.

Unless you could model the phone box with peeling paint, broken glazing, the door off, a damp and smelly looking floor, the handset missing and a forest of "business cards" plastered over the back wall....

Looking forward to the final result!

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure I can achieve that level of detail (never having seen such an image....), but it would hint at a more busy area than I'm trying to portray. This should be more the air of a neglected, forgotten road, once a thoroughfare, now a dead end, dead in so many ways.

Edited by Stubby47

As Johnny-cwm-lately to your day's modelling I'm as impressed as ever with the current Stubby real-time project.

We have too many roads just as you describe in our Borough.

So off the cuff I'd recommend adding a fair bit of artistic graffiti, a patch of dug-up and badly replaced cobbles/kerb/ pavement plus an inevitable bit of fly tipping.

Brilliant stuff!

dh

• RMweb Gold

I like this a lot, especially the fallen leaves and dirt, and the limited timescale makes it even more impressive. If the road has been cut by the railway line is it supposed to be a new railway?

Yeah, sort of. It's more an extension to an existing line, to allow longer units to be marshalled. The rear wall is just an idea, another is to add a newish carriage or maintenance shed as the wall.

• RMweb Gold

The wagon was just positioned for demonstration purposes, a coach would be too long for the module and I've not got a DMU or HST to chop up.

A piece of rolling stock is not strictly necessary, but it helps set the scene and emphasis the size of the railway when up close.