Fowler 150 hp diesel shunter

Gordon A

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Holby Railway said:

not equipped for building white metal, not got the ability to build kits, cant solder, never leaarned

None of us who can were born with the capability or ability - we decided to learn.

It's not 'can't', it's 'won't'.

John Isherwood.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Holby Railway said:

maybe a bit of both i dont have the patients or the skill

At least that's an honest answer. Kit building is not for everyone and Holby Railway's position has to be respected. There's room in this great hobby for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 15/10/2020 at 21:50, cctransuk said:

None of us who can were born with the capability or ability - we decided to learn.

It's not 'can't', it's 'won't'.

John Isherwood.

Absolute tosh, after years teaching mechanics, peoples brains work in different ways, some can do it easily, others struggle and some just don't have the dexterity.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

From my perspective, even if you have the skills - and after lessons, I have built just a couple of locos - it doesn't mean that is how you want to spend your time.

Life is too short and very few people enjoy doing absolutely everything needed to develop a modle railway, so I focus on the things that I enjoy doing most and get other people to do the things that I do least well, or least enjoy doing. :)

3 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

From my perspective, even if you have the skills - and after lessons, I have built just a couple of locos - it doesn't mean that is how you want to spend your time.

Life is too short and very few people enjoy doing absolutely everything needed to develop a modle railway, so I focus on the things that I enjoy doing most and get other people to do the things that I do least well, or least enjoy doing. :)

A perfectly tenable position - and one that I respect - but with that goes a limitation as to what one can own when it comes to rolling stock; (unless deep pockets are available)!

For my part, I don't greatly enjoy achitectural or scenic modelling. For that reason, I have selected that part of my chosen modelling location - Evercreech Junction - that excludes most of the station / level crossing area, whilst retaining the operational interest.

I'd love to own an accurate model of the most scenic part of the station, but I don't want to spend my time building the necessary infrastructure.

Life is a compromise.

John Isherwood.

I did look into acquiring the Fowler but then noticed the body is made of N/S which much more difficult to form. As there are many, equally attractive, prototypes I then looked elsewhere both in the JE catalogue and others.

Edited by PenrithBeacon

• RMweb Premium

It's a compromise, we try to keep the whole kit on one sheet - and these Fowlers, unusually for industrial locos, had bright coupling and connecting rods. Brass wouldn't be appropriate for these but I do agree that it would be easier to form the casings from it.

• Like 2

well, my position is that i cant do it i dont have the patience etc, thank you to those who understand, there are those out there that prefer to just build things for people, i wish i knew a couple of them, my uncle was well respected in model railway circles for building locos, there are many prairies and auto tanks out there that he built before he died, i used to watch him building white metal kits, sadly he is long gone now

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been pointed here from the 2mm Any Question Answered thread because I am looking for a kit for Fowler 4200008/1947 and I think that the ED2-6 locos would be the same class.  If a) that is the case then b) what chance a 2mm kit (snap that @Michael Edge has appeared twice in my queries! It maybe that I can't read your list properly Michael and it's already there...)