Fowler 150 hp diesel shunter

Gordon A

Hi - just caught up with this subject, I ran a tape measure over the former Mid-Hants based one a few years ago (22889/1939 - it had the rebuilt radiator too) and created a dimensioned sketch drawing if anyone’s interested, although it was never turned into the intended set of modelling drawings due to the lack of suitable wheels in O gauge. If anyone interested I’m happy to share once I return to the UK next week.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, D River said:

Hi - just caught up with this subject, I ran a tape measure over the former Mid-Hants based one a few years ago (22889/1939 - it had the rebuilt radiator too) and created a dimensioned sketch drawing if anyone’s interested, although it was never turned into the intended set of modelling drawings due to the lack of suitable wheels in O gauge. If anyone interested I’m happy to share once I return to the UK next week.

Yes please, even if it gives Mike another variation to scratch his head over.

Gordon A

I paid AMW 169 another visit yesterday to take some more photographs. I had prior to my visit obtained permission to access the cab.

Can any one tell me what the hand wheel coming out of the floor is for?

I assume the two levers are gears on one long lever and forward and reverse on  the other long lever.

I have shown a picture of the hand brake for completeness.

aP1060968.JPG.16307f7a00d57aca43a8e3ffa9a03a2d.JPG

aP1060972.JPG.9a5158357a4187b0f0fa1a899f05e621.JPG

aP1060973.JPG.748b1a72f69cbf292d9b0559b5b3ce83.JPG

aP1060977.JPG.95542c441c97eddb05c067b3b8da77fc.JPG

Gordon A

Edited by Gordon A
  • Like 2

As promised guys, please find below the notes I made of the "Mid Hants" Fowler 0-4-0DM works number 22889.  These are photographs of the original which in turn are a record of the figures recorded whilst measuring at Ropley.  They were to form the basis of drawings when used with photographs taken on the day and as a result they have not been checked, so typically where larger dimensions are broken down into smaller ones, it might not all add up for example.  There may be other errors lurking in either measuring or transposition too, (note the cab height is missing) but other than that, fill your boots! The photos will be dug out later this week and posted to.

Fowler_1.jpg

Fowler 2.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

Edited by D River
added photo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I slightly misunderstood Ray / Marshall5 in his earlier post in that I read it as a means of disengaging the drive from the gearbox so that the loco could be towed without causing any damage to the drive train.

My thanks to D River for his measurements and diagrams.

When driving Kingswood 0-4-0 Barclay No 446 there is no separate clutch operation by the driver when changing gear. You just eased the power off and changed gear, reapplying the power. The other thought is as a driver would you want to reach down that low to change gear, baring in mind that these locos would I think be single manned?

Gordon A

5 hours ago, Gordon A said:

I slightly misunderstood Ray / Marshall5 in his earlier post in that I read it as a means of disengaging the drive from the gearbox so that the loco could be towed without causing any damage to the drive train.

My thanks to D River for his measurements and diagrams.

When driving Kingswood 0-4-0 Barclay No 446 there is no separate clutch operation by the driver when changing gear. You just eased the power off and changed gear, reapplying the power. The other thought is as a driver would you want to reach down that low to change gear, baring in mind that these locos would I think be single manned?

Gordon A

Not all diesel-mechanicals are the same. The Barclay you describe sounds like it has some sort of self-changing or pre-select gearbox. I know that in the older Fowlers evertything is literally mechanical, with crash gearboxes and levers actually moving the gears into mesh.

Thanks Ruston, the Barclay gear selection was manual with no preselection, with a lever either side on the central consul, but I believe air operated.

As I mentioned you eased the power off and moved the gear selector across one gear, waited for a clunk and reapplied power.

I accept that there may be an air operated clutch synced with the gear change mechanism.

It would be nice if we could find someone who used to drive these locos  that could give us a definitive answer, or if there was such a thing as a drivers manual in existence?

Could be another trip to Reading next month.

Gordon A

I have asked owners of Fowlers and have been told that there is a switch on the wheel so that unless the wheel is wound the starter does not operate. The clutch is actually worked by air, so you obviously can't press on the pedal to disengage the engine from the gearbox if you're starting with no air in the reservoir, which should be every day as from my experience of working with shunting locos you drain down the brake reservoir when the loco is finished with for the day. I can only assume that the reason for disconnecting the gearbox from the engine is for the cold start, where having to turn those big heavy gear shafts that are covered in thick gear oil is going to put unneccessary strain on the starter motor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Two sets of measurements now incorporated into the drawing, they didn't show up any significant discrepancies and did clarify a number of things. Thanks to both of you for these.

The later radiator casing is a lot deeper than the original and will need the engine casing to be shortened to fit it, the "Fowler" plates are far too small to reproduce in .015" material and will need to be done in something thinner.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Mike,

Quite fascinating! I'd be interested to see how you get from the above drawing to the finished etches if it isn't too much work please? It appears to be a bit of a black art!

Andy G

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Mike,

Quite fascinating! I'd be interested to see how you get from the above drawing to the finished etches if it isn't too much work please? It appears to be a bit of a black art!

Andy G

Lots of black but with green and red as well.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I will be demonstrating how it's done at York and Warley this year, come along and ask.

Most layers in the drawing get their own colour but red or orange are often used when I'm tracing from imported drawings and photographs. It all gets tidied up to produce the GA we include in every kit.

Below is a screen shot of work on the etch so far.

113971373_ScreenShot2019-02-21at13_01_18.png.6d6d8affecad1ebfecb0987dbb40faab.png

For the moment a colour system is used, grey is etched both sides, red from front and blue from the back. Other yellowish colours are used for white on both/front/back, these will cancel out what was originally drawn, i.e. to leave tags etc. The outline of a High Level gearbox is there to make sure it clears the frame spacers.

All parts have their own box drawn round them to be etched away, this makes it possible to copy any individual part to another drawing - or indeed another loco. It also means that there is plenty of unetched material around all the parts to put numbers on.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2