Royal Logistics Corps Exercise

Thought someone might be interested in this ...

Photos from a RLC twitter account. Sorry don't know how to post a direct link.

Described as "from yesterdays (Oct 2nd) rail load using a commercial terminal in SE England"

post-13274-0-25149700-1538656380.jpg

post-13274-0-84433300-1538656393.jpg

post-13274-0-53986100-1538656407.jpg

post-13274-0-84579000-1538656417.jpg

Hope it's ok for copyright etc.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by 60091
  • Like 8

Thought someone might be interested in this ...

Photos from a RLC twitter account. Sorry don't know how to post a direct link.

Described as "from yesterdays (Oct 2nd) rail load using a commercial terminal in SE England"

attachicon.gifDolW0maXUAARNZi1.jpg

attachicon.gifDolW0mcXkAAYxIY1.jpg

attachicon.gifDolW0mYXsAAFsZd1.jpg

attachicon.gifDolW0mZX4AEeGp41.jpg

Hope it's ok for copyright etc.

Cheers

Alan

"Somewhere in England" eh !!?! ...... maybe the fact they are ferry wagons could be a clue ?

That's all the article said. I was hoping someone might be able to identify the actual location.

Alan

I would guess the location is within the Eurotunnel Maintenance Depot at Cheriton for three reasons, firstly there would be no problem using Berne gauge wagons, secondly there are OHLE structures visible on both sides of the sidings, and finally there would be no Network Rail involvement.

I would guess the location is within the Eurotunnel Maintenance Depot at Cheriton for three reasons, firstly there would be no problem using Berne gauge wagons, secondly there are OHLE structures visible on both sides of the sidings, and finally there would be no Network Rail involvement.

Don't know if it's to do with the same thing but 9 Rgt. RLC have gone to Norway to operate a railhead for a NATO exercise

I believe the origin & destination are correct, Belgium stock.

"Somewhere in England" eh !!?! ...... maybe the fact they are ferry wagons could be a clue ?

They are NOT ferry wagons which IS the clue - since the only place in the UK those wagons can run is through the tunnel, round the terminal or up HS1, it rather limits where else it could be.

Jon

They are NOT ferry wagons which IS the clue - since the only place in the UK those wagons can run is through the tunnel, round the terminal or up HS1, it rather limits where else it could be.

Jon

OK ....... an' I know jolly well there aren't any ( train ) ferries within hundreds of nautical miles of 'SE England' - so, perhaps I should have said 'not British wagons' !

OK ....... an' I know jolly well there aren't any ( train ) ferries within hundreds of nautical miles of 'SE England' - so, perhaps I should have said 'not British wagons' !

'Not British' wagons run all over the UK, 'not ferry/CT' ones don't though, which is Jon s point.

• 1 year later...

Found these photos today from defence journalist Gabriele Molinelis' twitter feed..

Described only as - 27 Reg Royal Logistics Corps, 3rd UK Division "operating a railhead"

Thought they might be of interest. No date but assume recent ?

EG52d_6XkAYozN6.jpg.6baff600a666ded89d0871a18e10716a.jpg

EG52d6OXkAAKhb4.jpg.c194bb4066f25ce9c104db72621c8c07.jpgEG52eO3XUAQ9daB.jpg.262c86b8599a5577a414a32e476a0db5.jpgEG52eVbWkAAT6a0.jpg.0d90980cbd97306d744a15e8df37f850.jpg

• Like 2

I think it’s to do with the full equipment rotation for Op CABRIT - NATO’s enhanced forward presence in Poland and the Baltics. I have seen some Facebook chat about this.

The vehicles shown include RWMIK, Jackal and CVRT, which are all part of the ORBAT.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 06/10/2018 at 10:04, SED Freightman said:

This is the second time that Cheriton has been used to load/unload vehicles, though the first was just a proving run. I'm trying to work out when it might have been taken; my best guess is a Sunday morning, as one of the photos has an NR person up a catenary gantry in the background. Sunday morning is probably the only time they'd get a possession for that.

Edited by Fat Controller

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Perhaps the recent trip to Ludgershall? GB took a load of empty warwells in the other day

Jo

That's Ludgershall, the last shot is taken facing towards Tidworth Road. the two houses in the background

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2549972,-1.6258944,3a,75y,159.66h,80.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHM5p3jj8jYMG8QrTAEk04Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

and the view from behind the camera man in the last shot, taken from Butt Street about a hundred yards up the road from the house of the last Ludgershall ganger (my granddad.)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2574005,-1.6284666,3a,16.4y,156.01h,85.34t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sy7lbN0rZxu45xhUyArrqEQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Dy7lbN0rZxu45xhUyArrqEQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D172.04335%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 16/10/2019 at 18:23, alastairq said:

Also note, military personnel wearing modern urban camouflage....?

[After all, who notices anyone wearing hi-vis these days?]

:)

I was just thinking that I hope the hi-viz is peacetime only, or the snipers are going to think it's Christmas. 

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

It always amuses me to visit French hypermarkets at theis time of year; you find stacks of camouflaged hunting clothes, with built -in Hi-Vi patches...

if it were in the USA I could understand it, there is a tremendous level of hunter on hunter deaths.

Most animals eyes work slightly different to ours, if done correctly a hi vis to us is camouflaged to them..

1 hour ago, PatB said:

I was just thinking that I hope the hi-viz is peacetime only, or the snipers are going to think it's Christmas. 

Snipers too far away anyway.....

Nope..snipers are the least of a RLC private's worries.....the driver of that FLRT is, though.

As an employer, the British Army is incredibly safety-conscious....and rightly so. Besides, at this sort of establishment, if things go bang in the night, somebody at the top has got it very wrong.