BRM November '18

Howard Smith

Snag is that it's not possible to make that choice on a one-off month by month basis - you're either a subscriber or a newstand purchaser. Currently the choice seems to be that subscribers have pay more for the card kit and newstand purchasers go without the DVD.

But how about making one of the offers/gifts/extras available one month to everyone and then the other offer/gift/extra to everyone the following month. Would seem easier to administer and perhaps encourage sales for the effort put in over two issues.

G

Personally, I think it would be best if both subscribers of the print edition and those who buy it over the counter received exactly the same offer, and that the title of this remains BRM ~ full stop!

You then produce a NEW digital only model railway title that just contains the items NOT contained in the Print editions, and make this available at the same price per issue for everyone, whether they have a regular subscription or prefer to buy just the months they want. But please do not call this new digital content BRM or the confusion will continue for ages past Brexit!

Food for thought, I think.

• RMweb Gold

To be honest I think the thread for Novembers magazine was very badly handled from the start.

Promoting the digital edition hard and being very quiet about the paper edition seemed odd as most months both versions are advertised together.  Now we know why.  All you seemed to have done is angered subscribers.

Wouldn't it have been better to be up front with everyone in the beginning and explain the reasoning behind the various editions.

On the subject of the cover disk, the videos on the digital version are watchable on You Tube.  Why do you need to produce a cover disk why not just print the links in the magazine? 

… Hasn't really convinced me that the digital version is better!  Quite the opposite in fact, I'm asking myself do I want to keep subscribing. I wouldn't be surprised if others are starting to think the same and you could start to lose readers rather than gaining them.

Ultimately, this is the real reason why I've "spoken my mind" - both with DVD-gate and with its current sequel.

Although some people might see this as some sort of "dig for victory" campaign, I can assure you that this perception couldn't be further from the truth.

People who know me also know that I am a straightforward sort of person - straight in my dealings - and straight talking. Some people like this - some people don't.

The fact that I am saying things as I see them ultimately means one thing - I care about BRM. I care that the magazine is worth reading and worth buying - I also care that the magazine has a long future.

In other words, I don't see myself as an enemy of the magazine - more as an honest but critical friend.

I hope that various people might be able to see my observations in this context.

Regards,

Huw.

• Like 2

Hang on with the acidity and remonstrations chaps.

Firstly I've been out all day so this is the first chance to address it. The newsstand copies which include the Metcalfe kit are to hopefully get new readers to pick up the magazine - that's the reason for it and hopefully we can get them to become repeat customers. Yes, there is a cost to it which is reflected in the price change. We have had previous issues where a DVd wasn't included and as we explained then the best way to ensure you always get a copy is to become a subscriber (print or digital) - this also has financial benefits which we pass on to subscribers or the alternative is to take one of our offers to subscribe including other gifts at one of the shows. And yes, the digital version makes use of tech and our efforts to bring you extra content so there are different products from customers to choose from.

We have some further cover gifts in coming months on newsstand copies so if you want to make sure of getting the DVD, as said perviously, the best thing to do is subscribe if you want it every month. The cover mounted DVD won't be disappearing though as there's plenty of content lined up for further issues.

I will discuss with Steve about access to the material - this could mean a lower cost digital version which includes the DVD content later in the month.

We don't set out to upset any section of the readership but seek to get great value in different ways. Oh and one of the future cover-mounted gifts on an issue in a few months is a very good one (but I am biased).

Hang on with the acidity and remonstrations chaps.

Firstly I've been out all day so this is the first chance to address it. The newsstand copies which include the Metcalfe kit are to hopefully get new readers to pick up the magazine - that's the reason for it and hopefully we can get them to become repeat customers. Yes, there is a cost to it which is reflected in the price change. We have had previous issues where a DVd wasn't included and as we explained then the best way to ensure you always get a copy is to become a subscriber (print or digital) - this also has financial benefits which we pass on to subscribers or the alternative is to take one of our offers to subscribe including other gifts at one of the shows. And yes, the digital version makes use of tech and our efforts to bring you extra content so there are different products from customers to choose from.

We have some further cover gifts in coming months on newsstand copies so if you want to make sure of getting the DVD, as said perviously, the best thing to do is subscribe if you want it every month. The cover mounted DVD won't be disappearing though as there's plenty of content lined up for further issues.

I will discuss with Steve about access to the material - this could mean a lower cost digital version which includes the DVD content later in the month.

We don't set out to upset any section of the readership but seek to get great value in different ways. Oh and one of the future cover-mounted gifts on an issue in a few months is a very good one (but I am biased).

All well and good Mr York, but your comments seem to completely miss the issue at hand. Would it not be better to taken onboard the justified complaints and come up with an amicable solution, rather than justifying the unjustifiable. It’s a great idea and laudable to try and hook new readers, but to alienate subscribers; I.e; your regular customers is tantamount to shooting oneself in the foot.

Edited by Stanier16

At my time of life, with 'disposable income' reduced, I have to be selective which railway modelling magazines I buy each month, and confine it to the one or two that have the most interesting and relevant content.  There is no way I want to become a subscriber to any of them, because typically at least half the issues in any one year would have little or nothing to offer (BRM being better than most but still by no means every issue being purchased).  Even though the 'per individual copy' price is higher per magazine, the flexibility this gives me is, in my view, worth having and is more cost-effective overall on an annualised basis.

I too was therefore disappointed there will be no DVD this month on BRMs purchased from the High Street, especially as the 'Little Bytham' feature on it was being so eagerly anticipated in other threads on here.  The card kit is of no interest. I'm not sure I shall bother with the magazine at all now.  I would add my voice to those who are expressing concern that lately BRM are quite simply making purchasing and reading their offering far too complicated and confusing for their own good, let alone ours.

In a word, guys:  K.I.S.S ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not alienated

Nor me, I'm a happy paper copy subscriber. I think it would be strange if the magazine did not try and evolve, trying different things along the way

I am, however, in the position where in a couple of months I can choose whether to continue subscribing to the paper copy or I could change to the digital version. Therefore the feedback about plans for the next few months, while not set in stone, are still appreciated

• Like 1

Steve's been on the case overnight and has utilised our competition page to enable anyone who wants the DVD content to give us their details so we can either get a physical DVD posted out or if you are in a rush to see the content you can have a link to the digital version of the DVD.

Go to https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm/competitions/wheres-my-dvd

'

As I say don't worry about it saying it's a competition but whilst you're there there's also a competition to with a Blue Pullman set.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info Andy and I’ve just requested a copy of the dvd.

I am in fact a digital subscriber but for a long time have been unable to view the embedded content in full screen and sometimes not at all. I have chipped in on here with others about this problem when viewing on iPad but the problem is still persisting and when I contacted Pocket Mags some time ago they said that they believed it was a publishers problem.

My iPad was venerable in years and I rather shrugged it off as being down to the fact that Apple stopped updating ios9 a while ago but I have this week been gifted a new iPad running current ios12 sowtwear with exactly the same results.

With this being what is now a long standing issue, and not an age related equipment issue, it is this something which you can solve jointly with PM as this letterbox view really does detract from the quality of the dvd.

I would add that by pinch opening the page I can improve things slightly but nowhere near to full screen.

Brian

I appreciate the offer above to send out the DVD. However, I must be missing something.  The text states. "Select 'Post' or 'Email' from the options below. You'll then need to log-in or create an account.".   However, there's no option to select post or email.  Do I have to register for the competition first or has something gone wrong with the page?  Google Chrome and Internet explorer show the same results.

I appreciate the offer above to send out the DVD. However, I must be missing something.  The text states. "Select 'Post' or 'Email' from the options below. You'll then need to log-in or create an account.".   However, there's no option to select post or email.  Do I have to register for the competition first or has something gone wrong with the page?  Google Chrome and Internet explorer show the same results.

I believe that you need to register your details and you should then get the option.

• RMweb Gold

To be honest I think the thread for Novembers magazine was very badly handled from the start.

Promoting the digital edition hard and being very quiet about the paper edition seemed odd as most months both versions are advertised together.  Now we know why.  All you seemed to have done is angered subscribers.

Wouldn't it have been better to be up front with everyone in the beginning and explain the reasoning behind the various editions.

On the subject of the cover disk, the videos on the digital version are watchable on You Tube.  Why do you need to produce a cover disk why not just print the links in the magazine? 

Not everyone likes to read a magazine on a tablet or PC.  I for one find it difficult to read having to zoom in and out on the I-pad.    

I bought this months digital edition to see whether it was worth  swapping over.  The BRM windows app would not play the videos or show the additional photos, the Pocket mags app worked but the additional pictures are different sizes so when a smaller image is on screen the larger image is visible around the borders. 

Hasn't really convinced me that the digital version is better!  Quite the opposite in fact, I'm asking myself do I want to keep subscribing. I wouldn't be surprised if others are starting to think the same and you could start to lose readers rather than gaining them.

I was rather bemused when we had a November edition thread which was about the digital version.  I can see the sense of what Andy said above but I do wonder if the time has come to more clearly differentiate - at least on here - between 'Digital BRM' and 'real BRM' as two different things which in many respects are likely to appeal to different markets.  Clearly Warners would want, and should, need to retain BRM in the title of both but we are increasingly looking at two separate beasts and sensibly they should not only be promoted in different ways but in my view a further distinction would be to go the way things have been moving and publish them at clearly separated dates - on opposite fortnights would strike me as logical if both run on a 'Kodak (and BR) year' of 4 weekly publishing intervals.

And please, please, please stop implying any running down or 'second class citizen' nature of 'real BRM'.  I'm getting slightly fed up with being told how much better the digital version is - just let purchasers (us) judge for themselves and simply tell us what's in each one and not how wonderful it is compared with the other version, please.

BRM for me is a discretionary purchase, and a major factor in deciding to buy it in the past has been the DVD. The lack of it, plus the price having gone over £5, has I'm afraid deterred me from buying the November issue. I do however look forward to seeing what gifts are supplied with future editions; While I don't think I have ever built any of the card kits supplied with magazines in the past, the modellers' plastic boxes from some years ago are extremely useful (hint !)

• Administrators

I was rather bemused when we had a November edition thread which was about the digital version.  I can see the sense of what Andy said above but I do wonder if the time has come to more clearly differentiate - at least on here - between 'Digital BRM' and 'real BRM' as two different things which in many respects are likely to appeal to different markets.  Clearly Warners would want, and should, need to retain BRM in the title of both but we are increasingly looking at two separate beasts and sensibly they should not only be promoted in different ways but in my view a further distinction would be to go the way things have been moving and publish them at clearly separated dates - on opposite fortnights would strike me as logical if both run on a 'Kodak (and BR) year' of 4 weekly publishing intervals.

The digital and paper issues aren't different enough to justify separating them in this way. Digi is the paper version with extras bolted on so we need to do the paper first and then the bolt-ons. The paper is actually ready first but has to be printed and distributed. Taking that away allows digi to overtake it, hence the schedule is:

Friday - Digi issue

Tuesday - Subs copies arrive

Thursday - Newsstand copies arrive.

If we published the digi version 2 weeks ahead of the paper, every paper subscriber would howl about being second class citizens. Do the paper 2 weeks before digi and the digital subscribers demand to know why they have to wait. 

Hmm... not sure whether to buy the digital version (available as a single issue as well as a subscription) or the one with the kit. Either way, the content common to all the versions sounds interesting so I will be buying a copy. The idea of the free kit makes me wonder if this would work as a future forum/magazine challenge (i.e. buy the magazine, modify/detail/build a diorama based around the kit and then send in a picture as with the cake box challenge).

• Like 4

The idea of the free kit makes me wonder if this would work as a future forum/magazine challenge (i.e. buy the magazine, modify/detail/build a diorama based around the kit and then send in a picture as with the cake box challenge).

Watch this space!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I’m bound to say that it was another great issue with my layout in it, but I’ve always been consistent in my praise for BRM. I’ve watched it grow from the early years since Warner’s took over and turned it into a high quality product. I don’t mind not having the DVD (and you can still have it if for free if you ask for it!) as I don’t always watch it.

Loved Tackeroo - a highly crafted and researched layout. A fitting tribute for this time of year (liked the inclusion of the Poppy in both printed and digital issues).

Well done again guys - in my opinion BRM always delivers great value for money.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The idea of the free kit makes me wonder if this would work as a future forum/magazine challenge (i.e. buy the magazine, modify/detail/build a diorama based around the kit and then send in a picture as with the cake box challenge).

Watch this space!

That sounds fair enough. However, since I've never really been into scenery, I hope this one won't end up becoming the replacement for last year's "cake box challenge".

Of course, if we were also to get a motive power and/or rolling stock themed kitbashing challenge, I'm sure my concerns would soon cease to be an issue.

Huw.

Yes, when you login you should then see this option.

attachicon.gifDVD Capture.JPG

Just a query, and I'm not rushing?

I went to this link, and selected the email  option but I'm not sure it went, as by mistake I moved rather quickly to another web page. However, I went back to resend it and was not able to, as I had "already entered the competition". How long before the email arrives, or have I messed it up?

Stewart

Just a query, and I'm not rushing?

I went to this link, and selected the email  option but I'm not sure it went, as by mistake I moved rather quickly to another web page. However, I went back to resend it and was not able to, as I had "already entered the competition". How long before the email arrives, or have I messed it up?

Stewart

There's probably no-one at the other end to get it sent out to you today Stewart but I'll try and check for you on Monday morning.

What's the point of being a subscriber to the printed edition if you are cut out of the free gifts?

I think the overall BRM objective is to only deliver digital products.

Strategy is to recruit new subscribers eg free give aways on newsagent copies

Persuade people to become subscribers using price etc (saves paying newsagents)

Persuade subscribers of hard copy to move to digital by offering additional content (save print costs)

I like having hard copies for future reference. Given the number of model railway magazines that have come and gone a digital only version is not necessarily a permanent record.