BRM November '18

Howard Smith

• Administrators

Hi, I may be being a bit dense but I’m struggling to find a link to the Little Bytham video on the digital version (via pocket mags).

Any help much appreciated (as this is the main reason I purchased this months mag).

Thanks.

Page 5 - BRM TV. It's also on the DVD, hence page 5 for digital readers.

BRMTV.jpg

Absolutely not!! I’m an OAP and use / enjoy every piece of latest technology I can get my hands on. (I stopped buying paper books and magazines 10 years ago) I’ve been this way all my life. Luckily my wife is the same.

Reading various posts on this forum it is clear there are many, if not more, people decades younger who have a major aversion to any new technology, and refuse to even contemplate benefits.

No, its not generational, it is attitudinal. Nothing whatsoever to do with age.

My pennyworth - As a lifetime worker in advanced telecoms and IT projects development and implementation  (so possibly not a luddite? but a sceptic by experience!!) I am not averse  to a bit of digital in fact I use it on a daily basis, my train money is dependent on techy stuff and I certainly would not be without some of the personal tools e.g. mail/bank/Excel/Project/Access Open Office etc and of course Templot!! but I agree it is certainly not an age issue it is (non-judgementally) attitudinal and based on how you prefer to carry out some basic activities like absorbing information.

At the risk of getting a bit theoretical in my view what we are discussing here is merely a tool - a device for conveying information to the recipient, and the management of BRM are obviously looking at the best/most attractive way to convey that information to the recipient. I wish them well - they are ahead of the pack on innovation for delivery tools but at the end of the day people buy the content not the tool and BRM must never forget that (as in my view they did in the recent past - thank goodness it has now improved).

Reverting to the tool :jester: - I have used things like sticky notes, kindles tablets etc and for me nothing beats being able to turn the physical page - I can read something in a size I do not have to blow up to see but if I want to skim have to wind down or swipe thro to go back or forward. I like to refer back - book/document/whatever by keeping a finger post-it or receipt(!)  in the reference point, scribble notes on the page and then comparing/flicking or whatever - yes you can do it by digit expand/contract/swipe or on split screens or you can have multiple screens or you can electronically mark it for future reference but sure as eggs it won't be the thing you want to refer back to that's s**s law.  - I can flick back thro a book or magazine and quickly cover 100s of pages to get to where I thought I saw the cross-reference and if you drop a book/magazine while falling asleep in the bath it doesn't fizz or die -(even if it can be a b***** to dry out without the pages sticking together ;) ) but each to their own and as an oldie in the words (sort of!!) of the poet "hope to die before (paper) magazines go cold !!".

• Like 5

Hang on with the acidity and remonstrations chaps.

Firstly I've been out all day so this is the first chance to address it. The newsstand copies which include the Metcalfe kit are to hopefully get new readers to pick up the magazine - that's the reason for it and hopefully we can get them to become repeat customers. Yes, there is a cost to it which is reflected in the price change. We have had previous issues where a DVd wasn't included and as we explained then the best way to ensure you always get a copy is to become a subscriber (print or digital) - this also has financial benefits which we pass on to subscribers or the alternative is to take one of our offers to subscribe including other gifts at one of the shows. And yes, the digital version makes use of tech and our efforts to bring you extra content so there are different products from customers to choose from.

We have some further cover gifts in coming months on newsstand copies so if you want to make sure of getting the DVD, as said perviously, the best thing to do is subscribe if you want it every month. The cover mounted DVD won't be disappearing though as there's plenty of content lined up for further issues.

I will discuss with Steve about access to the material - this could mean a lower cost digital version which includes the DVD content later in the month.

We don't set out to upset any section of the readership but seek to get great value in different ways. Oh and one of the future cover-mounted gifts on an issue in a few months is a very good one (but I am biased).

Hi Andy

I only buy the magazine now and again however I have stated buying the magazine that has a metcafle kit or a kit I hope this helps with feedback the reason for this is mainly down to the fact that I enjoy building the kits and im more into collecting models that's why I am a casual reader if that's the correct term for me so a DVD is of no value to me.

Thanks

Alan

P.s sorry I haven't read all the comments on the topic but I hope ive give good feedback

Finally managed to go into town today and buy a copy. Haven’t had a proper read yet as I’m a bit busy this week but had a quick look through. I liked the article on Tackeroo and the philosophy behind it. The card kit is giving me ideas for layouts/dioramas and the Haywain was lovely too. Only slight disappointment for me was that the Heljan interview didn’t have any questions concerning whether they will be doing any more 009 in future but it could be that I’ve just missed news on this anyway. The return loop article might come in handy - I don’t quite understand if the switching is automatic or you have to manually use the controller but will have another read.

• RMweb Gold

If you contact the BRM team via this link:

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm/competitions/wheres-my-dvd

Someone at Warner's will either send you the weblink or stick a DVD in the post to you, gratis.

I post this with reluctance, as I feel that some on here may well abuse this offer by requesting a DVD without purchasing the magazine.

But that wouldn't be smart or clever, it would be a pretty scummy thing to do.

On the flip side it offers genuine customers an opportunity to view the DVD content. Kind of a win-win situation?

Thanks for the link on page 81 it says how to get the DVD but as usual has not been proof read, the web address just goes nowhere, again us subscribers loose out, how can it be cost effective different editions.

• Administrators

Finally managed to go into town today and buy a copy. Haven’t had a proper read yet as I’m a bit busy this week but had a quick look through. I liked the article on Tackeroo and the philosophy behind it. The card kit is giving me ideas for layouts/dioramas and the Haywain was lovely too. Only slight disappointment for me was that the Heljan interview didn’t have any questions concerning whether they will be doing any more 009 in future but it could be that I’ve just missed news on this anyway. The return loop article might come in handy - I don’t quite understand if the switching is automatic or you have to manually use the controller but will have another read.

I chatted to Ben about the 009 range at Guildex and there isn't anything to say at the moment - but they are thinking about it as the L&B loco sold well. My guess is that the new guy looks at the core market first and moves on to other stuff a bit later. There won't be the pressure to bag prototypes in narrow gauge, in the same way as there is for standard gauge stuff, as so few are available. 

I chatted to Ben about the 009 range at Guildex and there isn't anything to say at the moment - but they are thinking about it as the L&B loco sold well. My guess is that the new guy looks at the core market first and moves on to other stuff a bit later. There won't be the pressure to bag prototypes in narrow gauge, in the same way as there is for standard gauge stuff, as so few are available.

Given the difficulties with quality control on some of the early ones, and their lack of N gauge/H0n30 experience compared to Bachmann, are we likely to see more from Heljan anyway in 009?

• Administrators

Given the difficulties with quality control on some of the early ones, and their lack of N gauge/H0n30 experience compared to Bachmann, are we likely to see more from Heljan anyway in 009?

At a guess, yes. All the issues can be fixed, indeed they were on the second batch. If firms give up the first time there were issues with a product, we'd all be riding horses.

• RMweb Premium

And for a bit of levity for those with the digital version, try turning on the automated subtitles - I say automated but they are automatically generated, and then saved (because some come up before the speech comes out) and clearly never checked or corrected.

A few examples

A Lenny are

Oh a toe

enjoy

And for a bit of levity for those with the digital version, try turning on the automated subtitles - I say automated but they are automatically generated, and then saved (because some come up before the speech comes out) and clearly never checked or corrected.

A few examples

A Lenny are

Oh a toe

enjoy

Are those the subtitles within the embedded YouTube video elements? I can see an opportunity for levity arising. We can make enough errors ourselves without YouTube interpreting various regional accents.

............. The newsstand copies which include the Metcalfe kit are to hopefully get new readers to pick up the magazine - that's the reason for it and hopefully we can get them to become repeat customers.

Yes, there is a cost to it which is reflected in the price change. ....................

We have some further cover gifts in coming months on newsstand copies ........................

Andy,

A few questions if I may:

For clarity, is the price change for this month only (because of the included kit)?

Will the higher price apply to (only) those following issues with included extras?

Or is it a general price increase with 'inclusions' to soften the initial impact?

IIRC isn't that how the 'free' {sic} DVD was originally introduced?

Rgds

• Administrators

Andy,

A few questions if I may:

For clarity, is the price change for this month only (because of the included kit)?

Will the higher price apply to (only) those following issues with included extras?

Or is it a general price increase with 'inclusions' to soften the initial impact?

IIRC isn't that how the 'free' {sic} DVD was originally introduced?

Rgds

Hi Andy,

The higher price will only apply to those issues with what we deem a substantial extra.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Hi Andy,

The higher price will only apply to those issues with what we deem a substantial extra.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I'm only an occasional purchaser and for me the 'extras' don't necessarily swing a 'buy'.

• Administrators

Thanks Steve, I'm only an occasional purchaser and for me the 'extras' don't necessarily swing a 'buy'.

Hi Andy,

Hopefully the extras we've picked will do.

We've tried to pick extras that we feel have mass market appeal. Take the Metcalfe kit as an example, it's a great project for beginners/newcomers yet, as you'll see from Phil's article in the magazine, it doesn't take a lot to improve it further. It can be used by modellers of all abilities. However, it unfortunately won't appeal to those who model in a scale other than 4mm.

We aim for extras that have mass market appeal. Yes, we want to sell as many copies of the magazine as possible but we also want to grow the hobby. The more people who try their hand at modelling and as a consequence enter the hobby, the better it is for everyone.

Anyway, ultimately I hope you love the magazine and that the extras are a little bonus.

Steve

I guess that I'm a bit late to this thread but I today bought my copy of BRM, brought it home, opened the wrapper, looked at the cover and the DVD is missing! After rechecking that it wasn't tucked inside the magazine, opening the card kit to see if it's inside, blame the missus for removing it....but it really is missing. Feeling a bit 'miffed' I checked RMweb to see if anyone else is missing one too and find its not just me.

I've now read the complete thread about marketing (yawn), electronic version (tried it but didn't like it), subscriber option (maybe soon), added content, links to create an account in order to get one posted (more passwords) and despite all the logic and reasons the DVD is missing I still feel disappointed it's not there. Maybe irrational but there you have it.

I like the magazine so it won't stop me from buying it, nor will a missing DVD change my life but I simply liked watching it...not this month though.

Even Mrs PL feels a bit let down.

PL.

I guess that I'm a bit late to this thread but I today bought my copy of BRM, brought it home, opened the wrapper, looked at the cover and the DVD is missing! After rechecking that it wasn't tucked inside the magazine, opening the card kit to see if it's inside, blame the missus for removing it....but it really is missing. Feeling a bit 'miffed' I checked RMweb to see if anyone else is missing one too and find its not just me.

I've now read the complete thread about marketing (yawn), electronic version (tried it but didn't like it), subscriber option (maybe soon), added content, links to create an account in order to get one posted (more passwords) and despite all the logic and reasons the DVD is missing I still feel disappointed it's not there. Maybe irrational but there you have it.

I like the magazine so it won't stop me from buying it, nor will a missing DVD change my life but I simply liked watching it...not this month though.

Even Mrs PL feels a bit let down.

PL.

Did you think the extra price was worth paying for the card kit?