Half yellow warning panels

Hi everybody 

I've got a query about yellow warning panels.

My layout is roughly based on the last years of the 1960's and  early 1970's so I have a mix of transition pre-tops green and blue locos. I've seen  pics of I think odd 20's and 25's as late as 1972 still running with half yellow ends; and I know there was 1 hymek that lasted into 1972 half yellow.

To make my layout authentic does anybody know the exact date everything went full yellow ended? I still have from when I was young the old Hornby "Mammoth" class 47. Needs a bit of TLC but I don't think it will fit the criteria. I've looked on class47.com and I can't see any half yellow ends on type4's after about 1967.

Could anybody clarify?

Regards

Jon

Having a quick look at my Western Region database for liveries and renumbering I have found 4 examples with yellow panels from 1969 onwards:

Class 46 nos. 138 and 151 until April 1971, Class 47 nos. 1584 until Jan 1970 and 1586 until June 1970

These were taken from the Railway Observer whose observations do need to be taken with a certain amount of discrepancy but I would imagine that there would have been a few more examples throughout the country in 1968 and 1969.

BTW my notes state that Mammoth was already blue by Jan 1969.

Edited by Flood

• RMweb Premium

Hi everybody 

I've got a query about yellow warning panels.

My layout is roughly based on the last years of the 1960's and  early 1970's so I have a mix of transition pre-tops green and blue locos. I've seen  pics of I think odd 20's and 25's as late as 1972 still running with half yellow ends; and I know there was 1 hymek that lasted into 1972 half yellow.

To make my layout authentic does anybody know the exact date everything went full yellow ended? I still have from when I was young the old Hornby "Mammoth" class 47. Needs a bit of TLC but I don't think it will fit the criteria. I've looked on class47.com and I can't see any half yellow ends on type4's after about 1967.

Could anybody clarify?

Regards

Jon

Hi Jon

It is the period I trainspotted, and liveries were in a state of flux. The best thing is to work from reliable dated photos

• RMweb Premium

Definitely work from photos. “Everything” is a huge ask because liveries were changed gradually over several years. Many locos never wore every variation. Not all had half-yellow ends, more commonly called the small yellow (warning) panel and abbreviated to sywp or syp.

Whether it is diesel, electro-diesel or electric locomotive, diesel or electric multiple unit the most reliable source, short of locating someone with compendious notes, is using dated photos.

Personally I like the green / maroon - blue changeover years as it gives me scope to present more variety than just blue.

• RMweb Gold

D1744 was the last GSYP 47 - lasted until 1970 - or 2018 if you count the Abbotswood Junction parallel universe! 1 minute in here

If that Hornby model is right then it will have the wrong boiler for D1744 but easliy sorted if it vexes you

Hope that helps!

Phil