Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

http://www.channel5.com/show/the-great-model-railway-challenge/

The theme for the first episode of the series is Classic Movies and the trailer shows some novelty items!

I closed off the lead-up topics as people who pre-judge whether something is bad get on my wick. Of course it's not going to be MRJTV - it's popular telly to appeal to the masses and if it gets more people joining in the hobby that's a good thing. Maybe it'll stimulate a few Christmas pressies too?

Several RMweb members participated in the series and hopefully they enjoyed the experience and will share some of their memories; hopefully some of those who've enjoyed the TV series will end up reading the topic and maybe joining in too so let's keep the judgemental negativity to a minimum in this topic.

I see the Basingstoke Bodgers have had the prestigious job of creating a layout for Radio Times too! http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/138119-the-radio-times-challenge-layout/

• Like 12

If they want great layouts to look at, they either have to give them more time or allow what missenden have done.

Indeed.  They need at least 5 days to make a reasonable attempt with baseboards of that size.

• Like 2

Hi,

I didn't have to hide behind the sofa for any of the first episode.

Did I spot a Heljan GWR Shunter on one layout (I thought only locos from Hornby and Bachmann could be used)?. Also a Hattons or Oxford Warwell?.

Regards

Nick

• Like 1

Bit like "The great British bakeoff" but worth watching - certainly a different angle for our hobby.

As Andy said if it gets more people joining in the hobby that's a good thing.

I look forward to next programme.

Brit15

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As much as we can carp and moan about the time allowed, or the themes, or the madness of the scratchbuild challenge, but just like the Big Little Railway - this program isn't really aimed at us here.

I await the verdict from my non-railway modelling friends.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

Indeed.  They need at least 5 days to make a reasonable attempt with baseboards of that size.

'Strangers on a Model Train' didn't! So we will be 'Missing' den hubristic modellers - not a lot.

I though this would be crap tv but actually it was not as dire as anticipated. Only criticisms are too many cutaways to the setting at the expense of watching the modellers at work and total plagiarism of the GBBO format - thank goodness the presenters were not as irritating.

• Administrators

Why the big rush to build a "layout" so fast?

Because TV needs an element of jeopardy. And how many teams would be willing to take more than 3 days off for a heat? There's also the issue of cost, more days filming means a lot more expense.

• RMweb Premium

I enjoyed that. I have mate who has no interest in model railways who watched it and whatsapp'd me most of the way through, and I guess that is half the point of the program to gain the wider audience 

• Like 2

What I am fed up with already is the urgent need of some to display their negativity here - despite my cautionary first post. Just leave it out of the topic please.

If you are incapable of curbing your negativity please go and do it somewhere else.

• Like 3

I watched a bit - not my cup of tea, but I don't like Bake Off either.

However, I wish it well and hope it does do a little stereotype busting, gets some more folk interested in the hobby and maybe give the people who feel that their talent ends with Metcalfe the confidence/inspiration to try something more.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

What I am fed up with already is the urgent need of some to display their negativity here - despite my cautionary first post. Just leave it out of the topic please.

If you are incapable of curbing your negativity please go and do it somewhere else.

Are people not allowed an opinion then?

Mike.

(Haven't watched it, won't watch it, won't comment.)

• Like 1

• Administrators

For me, it worked within the constraints of the format, and that is basically a version of Bake Off. Mind you, that show took 3 series to evolve to its final format.

I'd be interested to know from a participant how the time pressures worked out. They got a LOT done in 3 days.

I thought it was quite light-hearted and relatively entertaining without being demeaning and taking the ..... It certainly didn't stoop down to stereotyping and still managed to provide an interesting take. I guess the focus on competitive modelling won't please everyone but it does help give an edge and purpose.

G.

• Like 3

Hi,

What I thought was missing was showing what the 'top' railway modellers can achieve when they dont have a tight deadline. The show filmed participants layouts but little appeared in the first episode but then again it would contrast with the results of brave attempts to stick to the rules finishing the layouts away from home workshops.

Admittedly the BBC one off documentary The Joy of Train Sets covered some top modelling.

Regards

Nick

• Like 5