Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

Come on now. Only one post has actually panned it. Generally this has been quite well received.

Tony

Apart from all the ones I've removed. Some very poor form comments to be honest.

• Administrators

So far I've watched 10 min and it's as dire as I thought it would be.

Who is the woman ? Is she the one on the Peter Snow farce ?

Bah humbug !

And over to the football !

Google is your friend. The woman in "Trainspotting Live" was Dr Hannah Fry, an Associate Professor in the Mathematics of Cities at the Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis at UCL.

Kathy Millatt can be found on her own website, where you will find some superb modelling, often dispensed as video tutorials and well worth a watch. She also writes extensively for Model Railroader.

• Like 2

When I heard about the scratchbuild challenge element, I felt like the guys interviewed, but it's better than expected. Lipstick into a bomb? Very neat.

I was wondering if anyone would use the mechanical element to transform a rotary motion into a linear one...? Probably not so in the timescale, but lots of possibilities there.

Interesting that Tim said the scratchbuilding items came from his great Granny's loft. I know they didn't come from Kathy's, it's full of layout...

• RMweb Gold

. The woman in "Trainspotting Live" was Dr Hannah Fry, an Associate Professor in the Mathematics of Cities at the Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis at UCL.

...and a brilliant brain and presenter. Fry and Rutherford on Radio 4 occasionally at lunchtimes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I quite enjoyed it, I found it entertaining and inspirational

Strangers on a model train were deserving winners in my opinion

The only negative was them having only three days and my better half is now expecting me to get my layout finished quicker

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1

Are people not allowed an opinion then?

Mike.

(Haven't watched it, won't watch it, won't comment.)

Of course you are... as long as it's positive! :nono:

I caught bits, mostly seemed ok, I did like the lipstick bomb... that was quite good. I'll probably tune in next week...

Are people not allowed an opinion then?

Mike.

(Haven't watched it, won't watch it, won't comment.)

It really is quite dispiriting to watch grown men wetting their pants to jump on their keyboards and display prejudices and make demeaning jibes. I also find it ignorant and disrespectful when I had asked for positive perspectives for a well-intentioned reason.

• Like 6

I fear the odious arrogance of the men from Missenden does not reflect well on our glorious hobby and  I hope it was simply a case of their having been put up to it by the TV Production company. Whilst the competitiveness might make good TV, railway modellers are generally a co-operative and supportive bunch, as I hope people realised by watching the teams participating - particularly the one which had never met before.  If the programme sparks  queues outside model shops at opening time tomorrow, that will be a very good thing! 

Chris G

• Like 1

Good show.Should help the hobby. Best team won, they had the right attitude, and adapted to meat the challenge.

Although it was mainly using well known modelling products, they were not being promoted as such. Would have expected a model railway advert though.

I enjoyed it. The winners were worthy. The amount achieved in three days by each team was quite something. I quite liked the way one team tried to break the rules and thought they were the dogs doo dahs but weren't. There are plenty like that in the hobby.

Series link is in place.

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Some one has a vested interest in " bigging this rubbish up" wonder why?

Partly because there are several RMwebbers who took part. They are proud of what they did, but presumably are restricted in what they can say until their episode has been shown, but it's hardly nice to rubbish something they are proud of.

Also, because we'd like to "big up" the hobby generally and if people land here because of the show, it would be nice to see some positive discussion rather than loads of people running around showing off by being offended. It's TV entertainment, NOT a documentary.

I'll stand by my comments that there was some interesting innovation shown here. Yes, the time limit was tight, but that partly focusses the mind. I can't be the only one who needs deadlines occasionally to get things done. I know plenty of people for whom an exhibition appearance is a motivating factor in making progress on a layout. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Well, I don't quite know what to make of it.

Prior to the airing of this first episode, I have been critical of the decision to put our hobby on TV in this kind of format. I'm not a fan of Bake Off et al.

In fact, I never thought that they could make it work with railway modelling, as it's difficult to film good modelling sufficiently close-up, so that you can see what the modeller is actually doing. I suspect it would also not make for 'good TV', because of the time this kind of thing generally takes.

But, I've come to the conclusion that you can make an argument to the effect that good modellers will be able to achieve some kind of a result against the clock, even if it isn't as good in quality terms as something that same person could produce, given (say) a week, or a month, or a year.

As such, I think this show has some validity after all.

I'm not persuaded by the 'scratchbuilding challenge' and I loved the initial reaction to the chap leading the 'Strangers of a Train' team. Good for him, I thought, although his chaps eventually did produce some good stuff from the shoe and the lipstick. But that's not how almost all of us generally go about our modelling, is it? We usually choose our materials with rather more care, based on our experience but this programme has already, perhaps, suggested (to the general TV viewing public) that using old shoes or lipstick tubes is something that railway modellers do more often than is actually the case (and anyway, I actually preferred what the Missenden team did with their shoe and lipstick).

I thought that Kathy Millatt was American, as she has featured in Model Railroader, but her accent seemed British?

I found myself laughing out loud at some of the antics and I do concede that much of the show was entertaining. I was always going to watch the whole lot, anyway.

I also thought that the best team won and found the 'assertions of confidence' on the part of the Missenden team leader rather odd and certainly unexpected. Perhaps (as someone else suggested), he was encouraged to say that stuff.

All in all, though, not a bad advert for the hobby.

And yes, where are the Hornby and Bachmann etc. adverts during the breaks?

• Like 9

• Administrators

I'm not persuaded by the 'scratchbuilding challenge' and I loved the initial reaction to the chap leading the 'Strangers of a Train' team. Good for him, I thought, although his chaps eventually did produce some good stuff from the shoe and the lipstick.

I thought it was interesting that the producers put those comments in the show.

Hi Guys.....

I quite like the programme really, never knew what to expect from the trailers and media reports....

Sure to be pointers and inspiration along the series for blokes such as myself....so will keep watching.......

As guy approaching 60 returning to the hobby of railway modelling after a gap of 45 years, ........found it harmless entertainment and if that all it proves to be in the end... then brilliant job done!

Regards always guys....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I thought it was interesting that the producers put those comments in the show.

Hi Phil,

I find more interesting as I know what didn't make the final cut....

To get a true perspective of it all - you had to participate.

Those that did participate have been struggling not to reveal all since the filming!

Roll on the next episode.....

• Like 4

I was a bit sceptical when I first heard about the show, but I enjoyed it.

I think it would be hard to get people to be able to commit to longer than three days at a time for filming, and the winning team showed that it was possible to come up with something very good in the timeframe. Some of what the team in last place were saying made me cringe at times, I wonder if on reflection they are a little embarresed or feel it was unfavourable editing by the production team.

Edited by jmg123
  • Like 1

It was never going to be a model makers "how to", its just a bit of light entertainment fluff, but a welcome change from a baking/cookery show. I watched it & will happily watch the next episode as well. The best team won which is always a happy outcome, & everyone seemed to enjoy being involved, which is obviously a good look, for the program & the hobby in general.

Edited by Harry2013
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I was a bit scheptical when I first heard about the show, but I enjoyed it.

I think it would be hard to get people to be able to commit to longer than three days at a time for filming, and the winning team showed that it was possible to come up with something very good in the timeframe. Some of what the team in last place were saying made me cringe at times, I wonder if on reflection they are a little embarresed or feel it was unfavourable editing by the production team.

Hi JMG,

If you were involved - you did make a commitment of more than 3 days.

1 day pre filming to get background

1 day travelling to be there

3 days working on it once there.

Plus we were allowed to pre-build some elements in the period between the pre-build filming and the actual event.

So, some teams did a lot of prebuilding and others didn't. That will become more obvious as the series progresses.

Thanks