Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

Can I suggest that we try to avoid spoilers for those watching on catchup, recording for later etc.

As for the time limit, it's amazing what I could achieve if I didn't piddle away all the time spent browsing RMWeb,.... :)

Or simply dont look at the thread until you have seen the program, as I do with the F1 thread, it isnt difficult.

• RMweb Gold

I liked it a lot; it seemed to hit all the right spots and I thought Steve Flint and Kathy Millatt made up a good judging team, they were relaxed on camera and not at all

afraid to take some of the modellers down a peg, if needed. The layout that won was a good achievement in the time available, I reckoned.

• Like 2

I also spotted the 1960's gas cooker dials attached to the crew seats. (From 1:30)

They reminded me of Baby Belling knobs, and the co-ax/connector boom mic made another appearance on the pilots desk.

• Like 1

I agree... I certainly won't bother attending a Missenden course on ballasting and ground cover :jester:

I did find that strange, it would only take 10 minutes to sprinkle some ballast over the affected areas by the station.

I did like their approach to the houses and the forced perspective which was a nice idea. The thing that tripped them up on the prebuilds was they made each of the different scale terraces as individual rows, if I recall there were 5 rows? Whatever could be said about the "over confidence" of the Missenden crew, they were the first to congratulate the winners.

• Like 3

Watched it just now (seriously, the channel 5 player is terrible - my Xbox app doesn’t have it at all, my phone has it but won’t play it and I needed to jump through ten spelling hoops to get the kindle stick app to find it).

Think the overall vitriol towards missenden is a bit over the top - lest we forget than unless we were there we are seeing an extremely edited version of what happened. Maybe we should all give them the benefit of the doubt.

Not as bad as feared, may even join up for be next series if there is one...

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

One thing I thought strange was the pitting of, presumably, two teams of amateurs against Missenden who, as they run courses on the subject, should be considered professionals - it would be like an amateur cooking competition allowing catering college trainers on an equal footing.

I thought the best team won in the end and wonder whether Missenden put themselves forward as (or allowed themselves to be) the pantomime villain in the piece - if so it might have backfired as I don't think it did their reputation any favours. Whatever, I think as a 'pro' team they should not have been included in the context of competitors, but as teachers could have been given a weekly short spot highlighting and explaining in more detail one of the techniques being used.

The Missenden team were not tutors, but participants in the modelling courses.

Tim

Newbie here! Well I rather enjoyed it, but was a bit confused as to who it was aimed at. If it was the general public, then much of what the modellers were doing must have seemed like 'dark arts'. Possibly a few one-minute videos interspersed to explain baseboards, wiring, ballasting, static grass, DC versus DCC etc might have helped?

• RMweb Gold

Depending on your device Channel 5 can stream past programmes to your computer, phone or tablet - I watched through My5 - their free iPhone app.

Not if you are outside the UK. Luckily it was on youtube as well

• Like 1

Have now watched it. Thoroughly enjoyed it will watch the rest of the series and hopefully there will be a second series. Well done to all 3 teams in yesterday's episode, you all showed the hobby in a great light. Whatever the politics they all showed great skills and imagination. My personal favourite concept was the winner of last nights heat, however being from North Hampshire I am of course rooting for the Basingstoke Bodgers.

• Like 2

Let's not forget that without key ingredients of some drama and controversy, a show of this kind probably wouldn't hold much appeal to the mass audiences for which it's intended. The production company (Knickerbockerglory) have some good pedigree and a good ethos, by all accounts:
https://www.knickerbockerglory.tv/about

Did we expect that everybody gets along, everything works out as planned and then tootles off home for a cup of tea? That doesn't sell. Production companies are experts at editing footage to portray individuals or organisations in a particular light for maximum viewing impact, regardless of how much/little substance may be there. We all love a good story - overcoming adversity, a pantomime villan - whatever (God knows the Railtec story has a few of the latter!). It's what gets us talking; it's what gets the viewing figures; it's what makes TV. May be worth keeping in mind when figuring out what we think of what the editors decide to show us.

Edited by railtec-models
  • Like 2

as one of the participants in the first program i would like to give you all some insight as to  what went on  during the filming of the episode 

first some background 

our team consisted of 5 members only not 6 as the other teams were we were put in contact with each other by the production company and left to get on with it to create a team to fill a  gap that had arisen by another team having dropped out we had never met before,hence the name Strangers.

we were given a baseboard made up of 1/2 mdf in 3 parts totalling 10 x 5,we were allowed to work on two parts of the base board but one section need to be left blank. Ballasting and static grass had to be done during filming .

we were given budgets from Hornby Backman Pico  Metcalf  Guagemaster and Delux materials glue plus we could spend £200  petty cash  we could only buy certain things such as track from Pico oxford vehicles from Guagemaster this applied to all the participants .

we differed in that we had a lot less time than the other teams to conceive order materials and start work on the baseboards,we were not a club so had no club facilities and or participation by other club members   ( not allowed by rules but how to stop it? )

all of our team are good modellers and the layout which was meant to be in the base of a chalk quarry certainly looked as good as it could  given the conditions we worked under .The meadow blanket looked a lot more like down land i real life than it did on tv

Some of the critics on this forum have remarked on the standard of modelling .Our team followed the rules and did a good a job as possible under the conditions of filming and i am very proud of our efforts ,To those who disparage our efforts post a picture of your models that you created on baseboards in a garage transported to Fawley finished them in 2.5 working days and film the action all the time and see if they are finescale quality 

i will post more after the final

Well done Malcom, thought your layout was fantastic, looking forward to watching the final.

Steve.

• Like 2

I was sceptical, but pleasantly surprised, and yes, I quite enjoyed it. Part way through I was shouting "Lighting.........Lighting.........LIGHTING!" I thought it just might have been my worn out old TV but from the images posted earlier it seems the primary light sources were behind and not in front of the modelling. That was just enough to knock the edge off it for me. I hope they can sort it.

• Like 1

I did like their approach to the houses and the forced perspective which was a nice idea. The thing that tripped them up on the prebuilds was they made each of the different scale terraces as individual rows, if I recall there were 5 rows? 

Having visited Kathy Millatt's blog, she comments that the forced perspective technique is something new that she has taken away to apply in her own work. I'm not sure this would have been demonstrated so strongly in anything but a representation of an expansive urban environment. It will be interesting to see if any of the future episodes feature detailed townscapes built on-site, or whether the teams avoid the risk this poses to completing the whole, and play safe by sticking to open country settings.

The Nim.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having visited Kathy Millatt's blog, she comments that the forced perspective technique is something new that she has taken away to apply in her own work. I'm not sure this would have been demonstrated so strongly in anything but a representation of an expansive urban environment. It will be interesting to see if any of the future episodes feature detailed townscapes built on-site, or whether the teams avoid the risk this poses to completing the whole, and play safe by sticking to open country settings.

The Nim.

Surely If they had just glued the five terraces onto a single board at home they would have been ok...

• Like 1

Pleasantly surprised by the standard of the programme.

I think the best layout won. Looking at the helicopter view of Strangers on a Model Train's layout, I rather like it as a layout - yes there's no passing loop but there wasn't at a lot of wayside stations, and shunting a yard from one direction only is authentic and something we don't normally see. There would still be some operating potential with it. Glad to hear it's survived for the future

I would have counted a single terrace as a single unit , and Missenden still went well over the top. I think they might perhaps have dropped one of the terraces but kept the perspective effect, and possibly assembled one of the Metcalfe warehouses on site.

But the ships and the working derricks on the large one were superb pieces of modelling, even if I felt they didn't really have a film theme, except by slightly forced connection. The working Airfix dockside crane was rather good, and I hope we'll see it written up somewhere

In terms of the scratchbuild challenge - about which I had real doubts too when I saw the items - Missenden used them competently to a good build standard, but somehow not with any great flair. Whereas Strangers on a Model Train not only got a useful bomb out of it, but the extra nissen hut was very nice, and the shavings as coal dust dazzling improvisation. Not so convinced by the tank netting , but good thinking all the same, and 3/4 bullseyes isn't bad

I was also impressed by Strangers on a Model Train's reworking of Hornby Gresley coaches (Railroad or main range??) with an onsite respray  and roof markings. Their stock gelled with the layout whereas Missenden's didn't - Adams Radial pulling Hawksworth corridors through a station with ER blue nameboards named for a location on the GW main line - hmmm

The World's Wobbliest Spitfire was good low-tech fun, and the parachutist was superb - quite the best animation , and I'd love to see how it was done

Poor Porthcawl clearly underestimated their build time on the scenic side, and ended up considerably undercooked as a result. They didn't fulfil their aspirations, and the twisted circle plan had the least potential operational interest of the 3 layouts. Boot Hill with Dinosaur did look a bit like desperation

It is perhaps worth saying that inlaid track is always a laborious pig to do, and perhaps that wasn't a good strategic decision for Missenden given the constraints of the competition

Edited by Ravenser
  • Like 5

And there were the toothpaste caps used for rotary switches.  There were a fair number on the dashboard of FAB1, and Parkers boom mic was a piece of co-ax with an electrical connector on the end.

Of course, Anderson had the advantage of working to a larger scale, though I remember Allan Downes created a refinery consisting of parts of model kits and "everyday items", liberally coated in grey primer so anything is possible if you put your mind to it!

I was thinking more in terms of structures like the oil refinery that gets blown up in the opening credits to Thunderbirds.

And there were the toothpaste caps used for rotary switches.  There were a fair number on the dashboard of FAB1, and Parkers boom mic was a piece of co-ax with an electrical connector on the end.

Of course, Anderson had the advantage of working to a larger scale, though I remember Allan Downes created a refinery consisting of parts of model kits and "everyday items", liberally coated in grey primer so anything is possible if you put your mind to it!

I was thinking more in terms of structures like the oil refinery that gets blown up in the opening credits to Thunderbirds.

I enjoyed the program and I will certainly try to watch the others.

Everyone will have his/her views about how it could be done differently - there is no correct answer.

It seems to me that the theme running through Andy_Y's comments is "Whether you agree with the format or not, Channel 5 has provided a great opportunity to encourage newcomers to our hobby and how can we make the most of that?". If I have interpreted that correctly then I agree completely.

My suggestion is that Andy should start a separate thread for ideas about how to build upon this opportunity and he should ruthlessly moderate it to keep it tight and to the point. That way general discussion can continue here.

...R

Edited by Robin2

It was fun!

I do wonder whether it would benefit from a 'Bob Symes' type contribution. Someone with expert knowledge who could still nonetheless enthuse at the artificial - but fun -  tasks that are the heart of the programme. But who would that be in 2018? 

I hope that it is a foot in the door for other things.

• Like 2

as one of the participants in the first program i would like to give you all some insight as to  what went on  during the filming of the episode 

first some background 

our team consisted of 5 members only not 6 as the other teams were we were put in contact with each other by the production company and left to get on with it to create a team to fill a  gap that had arisen by another team having dropped out we had never met before,hence the name Strangers.

we were given a baseboard made up of 1/2 mdf in 3 parts totalling 10 x 5,we were allowed to work on two parts of the base board but one section need to be left blank. Ballasting and static grass had to be done during filming .

we were given budgets from Hornby Backman Pico  Metcalf  Guagemaster and Delux materials glue plus we could spend £200  petty cash  we could only buy certain things such as track from Pico oxford vehicles from Guagemaster this applied to all the participants .

we differed in that we had a lot less time than the other teams to conceive order materials and start work on the baseboards,we were not a club so had no club facilities and or participation by other club members   ( not allowed by rules but how to stop it? )

all of our team are good modellers and the layout which was meant to be in the base of a chalk quarry certainly looked as good as it could  given the conditions we worked under .The meadow blanket looked a lot more like down land i real life than it did on tv

Some of the critics on this forum have remarked on the standard of modelling .Our team followed the rules and did a good a job as possible under the conditions of filming and i am very proud of our efforts ,To those who disparage our efforts post a picture of your models that you created on baseboards in a garage transported to Fawley finished them in 2.5 working days and film the action all the time and see if they are finescale quality 

i will post more after the final  

I thought the finished result of The Longest Day was excellent given the time restrictions, even before your informative post. It seemed to capture the essence of a wartime installation really well; and the constructive use of the scratch built items were inspired. 

Well done to all of you, and good luck for the later stages. 

• Like 2