Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

I see that the second episode of the programme is on tomorrow evening and it's the 'critics' choice' in the ST Culture magazine again. Where did that week go? Probably wasted much of it reading this forum thread.

G

I'm quite looking forward to watching a whole episode. Will see if Mrs Z wants to watch as well, she likes the "Great British _____ off" genre. And it was her who alerted me to this one.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I had thoughts about using Corgi 1:72 Vulcan but think the weight might be a problem? That and making it travel across the 10 foot layout at an appropriate speed?

Ever thought of putting it on a pendelum? arranged that it turns at the end of the swing so that its always nose first. :jester: The only problem I can see is that you will need a 30 foot high ceiling to accomodate it.

• RMweb Premium

Ever thought of putting it on a pendelum? arranged that it turns at the end of the swing so that its always nose first. :jester: The only problem I can see is that you will need a 30 foot high ceiling to accomodate it.

With DCC sounds... four Rolls Royce Olympus should put the frighteners on the opposition..

• RMweb Gold

Might just about fit in the hall at Warley (although I don't quite think my modelling is up to being shown there)

Would probably also need a van just for the drain pipe I would need to cobble together to support it?

• RMweb Premium

I noticed that it says "S1. Ep.1". That makes me think that there will be another series.

Knickerbockerglory TV sounded quite keen to make another series, but it all depends on viewer figures, and Channel 5 commissioning a second series. Time will tell.

• Like 2

I liked the show more than the new series of Doctor Who* - Team Porthcawl's monsters were more convincing. 

* Jodie Whittaker: good; writing: pants. 

I've still got the new Dr Who to watch, I've had much more fun finalising my Cakebox Challenge* this week!  Is there as much running about in the New Who as the trailer seemed to indicate?

* That has a "monster" too......

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

Channel 5 did contact me to participate if I could bring in some more modellers. Through three local model railway clubs I did contact over 100 people but no-one was interested. I told Channel 5 what I had done in a follow up call so I was unable to help them.

I was very impressed with the programme. I would like to invite them round to my flat to make the last railway joints and to ballast the track on my N gauge layout.

What was running on the layout seemed almost irrelevant compared with laying the track and building the scenery. I am pleased to see more model railway programs. It reminded me of Blue Peter with Christopher Trace and Valerie Singleton.

You would be surprised what you can make with a Fairy Liquid bottle, sticky back plastic and a pair of Val's Old Knickers....

She had left before my time, but that was a Little and Large catchphrase well into the 1980s.

Jason

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Knickerbockerglory TV sounded quite keen to make another series, but it all depends on viewer figures, and Channel 5 commissioning a second series. Time will tell.

Sometimes these things are picked up by the independent channels such as UK TV or Discovery.

S1.Ep1 isn't really any indication of whether there will be a second series.  As Alan Partridge found out!

Mark

Sometimes these things are picked up by the independent channels such as UK TV or Discovery.

S1.Ep1 isn't really any indication of whether there will be a second series.  As Alan Partridge found out!

Mark

Monkey Tennis?

I'm pretty sure that Youth Hostelling With Chris Eubank, Inner City Sumo and Cooking In Prison are on the horizon....

Actually not far off from some programmes already made. Who would have thought that competitive railway modelling would be a TV programme when they made that back in 1997?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0609596/quotes

Jason

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Certainly seems to be pulling in viewers from beyond the hobby based on office conversation this week (and my wife who is asking how come my layout is taking so long when this lot seem to be able to build a layout in a weekend!! )

• Like 1

Certainly seems to be pulling in viewers from beyond the hobby ....

And surely that is what it's meant to do.........

If they also read the November issue of Railway Modeler, plenty of good modelling there this month, 

what's not to like, as they say way down west 'Proper Job'. :sungum:

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

Finally caught it on catchup this evening, mixed views really, It was good to see the rules being upheld, the 'Captain' from Missenden came across as smug more than arrogant, thinking they had won it before it even started. In the time allowed both of those who stuck to the rules IMO did very well, Porthcawl probably failed due more to the quantity of things they tried to build in, whereas Strangers went for the effective "diorama" type layout.

For me it will remain a catch up program around modelling and other programs, but I expect I will watch the whole series.

• Like 1

Static grass over the top of it basically :)

the mat was laid over a foundation of lattice card board  and then i moulded it into the down land effect you get if you look at it from a distance 

the edges were blended into the chalk face using a plaster/paint mixture to take the sharp white colour away i then added  tufts of grass on a random basis also rubberised horse hair was used to make hedges at the end we sprayed shadows with an air brush to give a light/dark effect 

• RMweb Gold

the mat was laid over a foundation of lattice card board  and then i moulded it into the down land effect you get if you look at it from a distance 

the edges were blended into the chalk face using a plaster/paint mixture to take the sharp white colour away i then added  tufts of grass on a random basis also rubberised horse hair was used to make hedges at the end we sprayed shadows with an air brush to give a light/dark effect 

Thanks for clarifying this :)

the mat was laid over a foundation of lattice card board and then i moulded it into the down land effect you get if you look at it from a distance

the edges were blended into the chalk face using a plaster/paint mixture to take the sharp white colour away i then added tufts of grass on a random basis also rubberised horse hair was used to make hedges at the end we sprayed shadows with an air brush to give a light/dark effect

I thought it was a good use of a product that could easily be dismissed as toy like. Certain quicker than traditional methods, gaugemaster or woodland scenic?

And does it count as pre built :)

I doubt if it does, grassmat is a scenic aid, just like flock or static grass. Yes it's quicker to lay but you still need to "finish" it to make it look good. For the format of the programme I doubt there was any other way of doing the trackwork and the stock but to buy it ready made. Didn't see any Skaledale, though! ;)

I doubt if it does, grassmat is a scenic aid, just like flock or static grass. Yes it's quicker to lay but you still need to "finish" it to make it look good. For the format of the programme I doubt there was any other way of doing the trackwork and the stock but to buy it ready made. Didn't see any Skaledale, though! ;)

There are probably more useful things to spend a limited budget on than populating the landscape with Scaledale or Scenecraft buildings.... :locomotive: