Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

This is indeed spot on. However...

Watch a number of such programmes and you realise that the 1.2 Scottish teams on average becomes precisely one, with no statistical variation. You would expect there to be occasions when there are none, and occasions when there are two.

Come to that, look at the Walking Lost Railways programme - one Scottish, one Welsh and four English lines.

I have no particular agenda in wishing to see the number change in one direction or the other, but it does seem interesting.

Please don't make any suggestion about tokenism to broadcasters.  You know they would get quite excited at the thought of a "women only " team - will the women beat the men? - something that regrettably a lot of sections of the media do for cheap comments.  This series has had several females in teams and on the show the production has been very professional and not "what is a nice girl like you doing interested in toy trains?"   Indeed at least two teams have featured other diversity which always seems to send magazine editors and forum moderators into a censoring frenzy.

Indeed at least two teams have featured other diversity which always seems to send magazine editors and forum moderators into a censoring frenzy.

Evidence?

The only time we've ever intervened here is when see posters make inappropriate sexist/racist/discriminatory posts or the opposite, making accusations of biased positive discrimination.

• RMweb Premium

A. Fitting PL10 solenoids to the points requires a whacking great hole in the baseboard - much easier to just drill a 10mm hole that all the ballast does not fall through and fit the motors below.

Apologies for the OT.

Cut hole for Peco point motor.

Assemble point motor to point, trapping a piece of brown paper - larger than the hole - between motor and point. (The tabs of the motor and operating bar "punch" through the paper. Twist a couple of the tabs to hold the motor to the point base. Move the motor bar sideways to elongate the hole for the operating bar)

Lay point, glue down edges of paper. No ballast falls through.

Perfectly disguised hole, perfectly aligned point.

Far quicker and easier than trying to line up a separately mounted motor.

Helpful hint - prewire the motor before installation.

(EDIT - couple extra hints and typo)

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

Having just read some misogynistic bile on Facebook about the series

Did you really mean "misogynistic" - were they upset about Kathy being a judge, or the presence of (swoon) women of the female gender on some of the teams?

Another day, another reason not to bother looking at Facebook.  It's Twinsta'sapp for me from now on!  (<---- This is a lie.)

Did you really mean "misogynistic" - were they upset about Kathy being a judge, or the presence of (swoon) women of the female gender on some of the teams?

I did. Sadly, it was the former which I have no intention of repeating here.

Hi there, nice to see that someone from the showmakers is here :). Quick question - i sent in a brief email on Friday for an application - should I have heard anything by now? Or is it something where i will have to just be patient for a bit?

Hello there!

We are working through all the emails and will begin making phone calls in the next few weeks. We've had a lot of interest (which is fantastic!) so you will need to be patient whilst we go through them. But rest assured we will be in touch! 

Thanks, 

Bryher 

• Like 3

As above.  Thank you for making a show that is so 'cosy' to watch, with interest and humour in equal measure.  Never is a joke taken too far, never is it nasty, never has it been a lazy jab at 'anoraks'.  Its a great show, you should be really proud.  Is there any thought in a spin-off programme showing how some of these fabulous layouts were done, particularly some of the finer details?  I've seen several things done that i'd love to know more about - water, static grass, moving vehicles were all items that I would have loved to watch more about.

I would just like to say a big thanks for the program, like most there were some layouts I liked better than others, but for a new approach to the subject its been a job well done and I wish the production team all the best for the second and hopefully subsequent series

Most of us accept that the layouts must be working and finished at the end for the program to have a broad appeal to all viewers, plus have the odd characterful contestant to add to the enjoyment. Most realise a certain amount of pre assembly is a must. As s first series, I think you gave the impression of getting the balance about right for us enthusiasts.

I also found the programs were being respectful to the hobby, nothing wrong with a bit of light humor along with a bit of serious competitiveness,

Looking forward to Friday night

Thank you both for your kind words of encouragement and appreciation! It means a lot to us as a team that the programme is being so warmly received by the modelling community. We've also had plenty of lovely feedback from 'non-modellers' too, which is fantastic.

The intention was always to make a programme that had broad appeal and brought the hobby to a wider audience, which I think we've certainly achieved if I can say so myself...! 

Best, 

Bryher & Team 'GMRC' 

PS - I do hope you will both consider having a crack at the trophy for Series 2...!

Email: casting@knickerbockerglory.tv

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hello RMWeb,

Bryher here, Producer/Director of GMRC Series 1.

It's been great reading this forum and seeing the (sometimes lively!) debates and discussions about the show. Our team at Knickerbockerglory loved making Series 1 and we always wanted to make a show that celebrated this wonderful hobby, so it's great to hear that modellers have been enjoying watching the series so much.

As you may have seen at the end of last week's episode, we are now looking for teams for Series 2. We're looking for enthusiastic teams of 6 who are up for the CHALLENGE and can take the trophy in 2019!

We are beginning casting this week and would like to hear from as many potential teams as possible before Christmas! Interested team captains - please send your name, location and phone number to:

casting@knickerbockerglory.tv

Other useful info you could also send to us:

- Any ideas you might have for a layout for the competition

- Who are your team and how do you know each other

- Photos of layouts made my members of your team

Really looking forward to hearing from you and seeing what Series 2 will bring!

Best,

Bryher & all of Team GMRC at Knickerbockerglory

I desperately need a series 2 to keep me inspired and motivated, I've done more on my layout since the start of the series than I have in six months

I won't be considering entering though........my face is better suited for radio

Edited by chuffinghell

The shooting schedule is still TBC at this point. But filming would likely take place between end of May - start of July next year. Sorry we can't be more specific at this point. 

Teams would need to be available 3 consecutive days (likely weekdays) during that period and then 4 consecutive subsequent days for the final. 

Bryher,

I think it would be useful for prospective teams to have an idea of when the filming will take place for the next series,

Ian (Basingstoke Bodger)

• Like 1

As above.  Thank you for making a show that is so 'cosy' to watch, with interest and humour in equal measure.  Never is a joke taken too far, never is it nasty, never has it been a lazy jab at 'anoraks'.  Its a great show, you should be really proud.  Is there any thought in a spin-off programme showing how some of these fabulous layouts were done, particularly some of the finer details?  I've seen several things done that i'd love to know more about - water, static grass, moving vehicles were all items that I would have loved to watch more about.

Can give you info on water!

• Like 1

I desperately need a series 2 to keep me inspired and motivated, I've done more on my layout since the start of the series than I have in six months

I won't be considering entering though........my face is better suited for radio

I was told I had a radio face after a media session to do with the Charter Mark. Just get yourself sorted and then your partner can roll off the sofa laughing when you first appear on the screen

Hello chums,

Regarding Peco points and ballasting, if anyone is interested, here are a few photos from a couple of years ago showing the principle mentioned previously. I used thin card which was folded and glued along the shoulder of the formation prior to ballasting.

post-32476-0-72234500-1541524230_thumb.jpg

Hole cut to size for point motor

post-32476-0-62757300-1541524276_thumb.jpg

Card trapped between pre-wired motor and point

post-32476-0-45334100-1541524324_thumb.jpg

Voila! Waiting bending and then ballasting

(If considered too OT, I'll happily remove or post up elsewhere.)

Cheers,

Philip

Hello chums,

Regarding Peco points and ballasting, if anyone is interested, here are a few photos from a couple of years ago showing the principle mentioned previously. I used thin card which was folded and glued along the shoulder of the formation prior to ballasting.

attachicon.gifP1000754.JPG

Hole cut to size for point motor

attachicon.gifP1000752.JPG

Card trapped between pre-wired motor and point

attachicon.gifP1000755.JPG

Voila! Waiting bending and then ballasting

(If considered too OT, I'll happily remove or post up elsewhere.)

Cheers,

Philip

Very neat, but the size of hole required for a point-fitted point motor is humongous!

(However, it does solve the under-board alignment problem!)

Really good to see Bryher from Knickerbocker is glancing over this thread.

I doubt I can submit a team for series 2 due to personal issues but may I make some suggestions? 

1: I would like to see a general sponsor that can supply other types of modelling materials such as sci-fi models, and all sorts of other things. Someone like Hobbycraft for example. This is because I found for some strange reason Hornby, Bachmann, Peco, and all the others were devoid of sci-fi items :-) It restricted my build considerably in series 1 on the 'Time Travel Train'. 

2: The Pre-Build rule (if allowed, and it seems most teams need it to be) should be very clear, so they all do more or less the same amount in terms of time and money. 

3: How about a guest star viewing the models and giving opinions? Could be quiet entertaining or informative depending who it is. Just a thought. 

Cheers, Steampunk Laurie 

3: How about a guest star viewing the models and giving opinions? Could be quiet entertaining or informative depending who it is. Just a thought. 

Cheers, Steampunk Laurie 

I am not really keen on this, "stars" seem to think the public owe them a favour.

If you get one for FREE then he (or she) should be interested in it, the moment you start paying him (or her) then they are in it for the money.

This programme is supposed to be for the public not someone who wants to be the big I am.

Garry

... This is because I found for some strange reason Hornby, Bachmann, Peco, and all the others were devoid of sci-fi items :-) It restricted my build considerably in series 1 on the 'Time Travel Train'. 

If only the Time Travel Train could take you back to the 1970s. You could have had some things from the Battle Space range!

Really good to see Bryher from Knickerbocker is glancing over this thread.

I doubt I can submit a team for series 2 due to personal issues but may I make some suggestions? 

1: I would like to see a general sponsor that can supply other types of modelling materials such as sci-fi models, and all sorts of other things. Someone like Hobbycraft for example. This is because I found for some strange reason Hornby, Bachmann, Peco, and all the others were devoid of sci-fi items :-) It restricted my build considerably in series 1 on the 'Time Travel Train'. 

2: The Pre-Build rule (if allowed, and it seems most teams need it to be) should be very clear, so they all do more or less the same amount in terms of time and money. 

Cheers, Steampunk Laurie 

Hello everyone, does anyone know if under-18s are allowed on?

• Administrators

Cheers, Steampunk Laurie 

There's hardly enough time in the show as it is, a guest star would knock another 5 minutes off the screen time available for the teams. 

• Administrators

If only the Time Travel Train could take you back to the 1970s. You could have had some things from the Battle Space range!

Battle Space AND dinosaurs?

Now you are talking my kinda layout!!!!!

Turbo car to ramming speed!

• Like 4