Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

Those are good figures all round in the multi channel age. I doubt they are all model railway fans or gricers either.

Now it's over to those on the exhibition circuit to get talking to the newbies who are visiting the shows and enthuse them even more.

Indeed - I know my dad is really looking forward to seeing the winning layout in person, and I'm looking forward to seeing all of them - they all looked impressive on the show but it's another thing to see a well made layout in person.

• Administrators

I'm unclear as to whether a second series has been announced - If so I am tempted to try and participate in some capacity.

It was announced a few weeks ago and discussed on this thread with participation by a couple of people from the production team.

• Like 1

Ah right - thanks Phil! Just need to have a chat with the other people who I'd be doing it with if we do go ahead. Does anyone have a link to the terms, conditions and rules of entry?

A potential other team member has asked whether the layouts have to be 00 and whether O-16.5 would be permitted, so I ask that now!

Another question asked was how big the budget for each team is, so I ask that as well!

• Like 1

I wrote an email to casting@knickerbockerglory.tv with an idea for a layout and got a nice response back from one of their researchers. She asked for some more information about me, things like my experience of model railways and any pics of layouts I had worked on and suggested the next step was a telephone interview or a meet up at Warley. That would suggest the process is still ongoing.

• Like 2

Search through this thread for more information, but speaking to KBG production is the best way to get up to date information. Expect there to be a bit of change before filming starts though.

Rough guidelines based on experience of series 1:-

Layout is 10' x 5' on a 3-part heavy MDF baseboard.

Budget is around £3000 spread over a handful of suppliers in discrete chunks.

At least some of the track has to be 16.5mm with a good loading gauge for the train mounted camera!

DC controller is provided but you can supply your own control system (DCC, Clockwork, etc.).

Track must be Peco and Peco static grass must be used.

You will supply your own stock (at least two running trains).

Get your team of six together and find out some interesting info about each team member, and get an interesting team name. Work out why you are doing this (telling production that you are the best modellers in the world should get you some screen time - but beware! Whatever you say can and will be used, and can be used out of context). Having some imaginative ideas of things you would like to include especially animations should help. If you want to be accepted don't be boring!

It is quite unlikely that you will be given a theme to work to and a definitive answer to whether you are actually accepted or not until shortly before filming starts, so use the time beforehand to work through a few ideas that will fit the space so you are prepared and can work something in to the theme in a couple of weeks. Plan where you will be able to set the layout up for the pre-build before filming.

What production ask for, and what the rulebook specifies, may be at variance to what the judges are looking for - so knowing who the judges are might help when choosing ideas to match the themes. 

• RMweb Premium

Ditto to what Signalist said.

Preparation and planning are key to what you can achieve on the day. The whole team must have a clear and consistent idea of what the end result should look like, and should be ready to step up and do anything necessary to reach that goal, without being told what to do.

Preparation includes research, identifying sources of materials/stock/figures that are required, and making sure they are in stock and can be delivered in time. Always lots of printing can be done beforehand, labels, building kits, backscene, posters, etc. Also, try and practice any techniques you intend to use, like synthetic water products, static grass, paint spraying, animations, etc., as the filming location is not the place to learn those skills.

Finally, make sure you have all the tools and materials you could possibly require, as you cannot just pop home or to a shop. Make lists. These are also useful during the scramble at the end to pack up and get off home.

KBG will be based on the Peco stand on the Saturday at Warley, but will probably roam about looking for volunteers.

I will be on the Peco stand with the Basingstoke Bodgers' "Santa's Globetrotting Holiday" layout. We have nearly finished repairing it.

I would add that designing a layout where the general idea (such as a fan of sidings) can be used in both heat and final and so reducing the planning time... Though from this series' experience that might not win you the prize no matter how good the modelling!

From what we've seen a simple oval (or two or three, maybe one of a different gauge/scale) seems to be the best way forward to ensure you meet the "something must run" requirement... It was noticable that the ones that won were, in the main, run as simple ovals, maybe with a bit of extra sidings though not always used...

• Like 1

Channel 5 link to appear on the show for Series 2. Same address as elsewhere on this thread. 

http://www.channel5.com/apply-to-be-on-the-show/ 

It says: 

Teams of modellers or individual modellers are welcome to apply.

Please send your name, location and contact details to casting@knickerbockerglory.tv

Edited by LocoLaurie

.......... From what we've seen a simple oval (or two or three, maybe one of a different gauge/scale) seems to be the best way forward to ensure you meet the "something must run" requirement... It was noticable that the ones that won were, in the main, run as simple ovals, maybe with a bit of extra sidings though not always used...

Basically, get something running a.s.a.p, and make sure it continues to run till the end  :O

.... and if you have a test track, DON'T leave it home.

Edited by Penlan

With talk of a second series, do people have ideas for possible themes for the heats?

Here are a couple of suggestions; holidays, anniversaries.

Regards

Nick

Industry

Old and new

Dereliction

Trains, Planes and Automobiles

Bridging the Gap

Research and Development

Night and Day

Tourist Attraction

Gradients

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Heat 1: 1,309,244

Heat 2: 1,094,578

Heat 3: 1,185,123

Heat 4: 1,101,837

Heat 5: 1,210,300

Final: 1,313,500

It was the 5th most watched programme on C5 that week, and the highest figures for the entire series. 

• Like 4

It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, I'd like have seen some filming of the design and pre-construction phases. Could have been very interesting seeing Missenden's thought process.

The Porthcawl layout was massively ambitious, be nice to see it finished.

The Longest Day one probay suited the format of the show rather well quite simple overall, so achievabke in the timescale, with some bits of 'sparkle' like the Spitfire.

I didn't get the Missenden layout, as they appeared to be mostly just plonking premade buildings on the baseboard, I'm not sure where their time went (did they need dcc, I'm sure it was mentioned) Also thought the Ealing concept was lacking in application other than the 'ship from Whisky Galore' and flying pig, I thought the shuttled goods train was crying out for a Ladykillers cameo with animated falling man.

Was this what you had in mind?

post-33301-0-18185200-1542662439_thumb.jpg

• Like 3