Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

A video of the final running session on our Blackadder Themed - Great Model Railway Challenge Layout - "Go Forth".

Featuring a wide variety of Period WW1 Rolling Stock, as featured on the show, plus a number of new additions, including my recently completed WW1 Armored Train, we give "Go Forth" a fitting send-off before it's sold onto a new home.

Hope you enjoy!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just got round to commenting, for what it's worth, and I actually managed to pick out the winner well before it was announced as by the final the judging criteria were somewhat clearer in my mind so Aberdeen's effort was to my mind a dead cert provided it worked as intended, and it did.   Bit of a job to pick out the second place and to avoid controversy I won't mention my choice.

Overall I think the series has been pretty good.  It seemed to hit the right level for 'a general audience' and Mrs Stationmaster usually watched it with me and seems to have enjoyed it.  And there wasn't too much in my view to upset a modeller of railways plus it introduced some modelling methods albeit often in little more than briefly passing by.  So overall an idea and format which worked and held a good audience level.  Way ahead of 'Bake Off' in my view but that is a personal feeling as I went off that programme some years back.  The scrap box challenge was I think an essential part of the mix particularly for those who moan about the cost of our hobby and after all isn't it exactly what many of us have done over the years?  And it added a bit of fun and more understandable creativity for the non-modellers in the audience with some great results (well done Drew, loved it).

There were one or two things I didn't like about the overall concept and without a doubt the worst was the voiceover in the accompanying 'themed' ad who couldn't pronounce Eskdale properly,  just a shame that he didn't compound it by telling us how near to the nukular storage facility the R&ER is.  Which of course amounts to no criticism at all of the programme content, and I haven't really got any apart from the various helicopter etc shots of Fawley Hill estate which, in my mind, weren't really essential to the extent they were used - but then I know the site fairly well as it's 'just down the road' from me (almost).

I would add is the show doesn't take itself too seriously. There isn't the sense of too much manufactured drama like American reality TV. If it tried the ultra serious approach, it would have been a disaster.

By the way Stationmaster, when are you sending in your application?

• RMweb Premium

Although I regard myself as more of a "serious" modeller, I do like to think that I take the modelling seriously but never myself.

Many times I have been to shows and one thing I remember afterwards is the "gimmick" on a layout. A working swing bridge, a boat that moves along, a working wagon hoist or suchlike.

So good "gimmicks" done well and realistically can really add something extra to the appeal of a layout.

A poorly modelled, unrealistic (unless it is supposed to be a "fantasy" model) poorly running layout with loads of "gimmicks" on the other hand, does nothing for me.

I agree about MPD layouts. In reality, most were very dull places operationally. Locos would be prepared and go off shed in the morning and come back later to be disposed. During the day there might be a few arrivals and departures but in general they didn't have a lot going on. Model MPD layouts usually just consist of locos being shuffled aimlessly about. I would much rather see trains shunting, being assembled and broken down. Much more entertaining for me than even seeing expresses whizz by.

To me, sometimes they are simply "how many expensive locos can I shove into a layout".

• RMweb Gold

To me, sometimes they are simply "how many expensive locos can I shove into a layout".

Are you sure that isn't: "How many scarily expensive locos with DCC and sound can I shove into a layout?"

OK - I'm sure the theme must sometimes have been done well - without a "sound and light show" - but the temptation certainly exists for this sort of showing off.

Of course, other opinions are also available - and I'd have no problem with anyone expressing them.

Huw.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Are you sure that isn't: "How many scarily expensive locos with DCC and sound can I shove into a layout?"

OK - I'm sure the theme must sometimes have been done well - without a "sound and light show" - but the temptation certainly exists for this sort of showing off.

Of course, other opinions are also available - and I'd have no problem with anyone expressing them.

Huw.

AND showing how loud I can turn the sound up to over-scale levels because I can, thus meaning that the steam layout you are looking at next door (in the worst cases several stands away) appears to operating Class 66s at full whine..

Edited by john new
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Spent the morning rebuilding "Go Forth" at its new home! Got to admit it's held up very well, during its storage and travels :)
The new owner is a 9 year-old, who was a massive fan of the show, and best of all, doesn't know it's now his! 
Can't wait to see the look on his face! :D
For me and the team, this is what the "Great Model Railway Challenge" was all about :)

IMG_20190514_133944.jpg

IMG_20190514_133513.jpg

IMG_20190514_133843.jpg

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Moderators

An excellent 'next chapter' in the story Callum. Would love to see the kid's reaction to a bit of stardom in his garage.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes indeed, good luck to this year's teams. Enjoy yourselves, and take lots of photos while there to keep as momentos. We put all our team's photos together as a photo-book, one copy each, and it is good to look back on.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well the museum was shut at the weekend ( went to the antiques fair at Fawley Hill, and rode the train cause it would have been rude not too) but plenty of signs of knickerbocker productions for the site amenities and so on.

• Informative/Useful 2

The final chapter in the story of our Great Model Railway Challenge - Blackadder Themed Heat Layout - "Go Forth". 
Since the show, me and the team having be trying to find a permanent home for the layout, and back in May 2019 we found one. It was decided that we would give the layout away, to an unsuspecting young fan of the show, called Tommy, and best of all he knew nothing about it! 
The layout was carefully transported to it's new home, before being rebuilt in secret. Once the rebuild was complete, Tommy's parents keep the layout under wraps, before revealing "Go Forth" after watching the Episode in which the layout featured. As you can image, Tommy's reaction on seeing the layout for the first time was priceless! 
For me and the team, this is what the "Great Model Railway Challenge" was all about, inspiring the next generation into building Model Railways. We really couldn't think of a better home for the layout!   
In this episode, we see "Go Forth" being resembled at it's new home, in complete secret, before the grand reveal! 
I would like to say a massive Thanks You to Tommy and his Parents for letting me use their footage of his reaction, and we hope the "Go Forth" will bring him many years of enjoyment! 
Hope you enjoy!

2019-06-05_17-04-23.jpg

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Kathy sent out a Facebook post yesterday indicating that they are in the process of making a NEW series for this programme.

I’ve been quiet posting recently as I’m back filming the Great Model Railway Challenge. I can’t show you pictures of the layouts but this is what the hangar looked like earlier today before the heat 4 teams came in.

#fawleyhill #greatmodelrailwaychallenge #gmrc #filming

• Like 2

As you might of seen in our recent video of the Grand Reveal, Tommy was over the moon with the layout! Of course, he needs a proper engine to run on it, so I renumbered a second Bachmann O4 to the same ROD number we had on the show :)

IMG_20190611_125722-01.jpeg

IMG_20190611_125654-01.jpeg

IMG_20190611_130209-01.jpeg

• Like 7