Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

Hi Phil,

I find more interesting as I know what didn't make the final cut....

To get a true perspective of it all - you had to participate.

Those that did participate have been struggling not to reveal all since the filming!

Roll on the next episode.....

I spent most of last Saturday with a member of 'Strangers on a Model Train' and he let very little slip!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Enjoyed it. Pendon it was not, but couldn't be, like TimeTeam done on three days as it adds a bit of jeopardy.

It's the sort of thing that may well attract newbies hoverers of any age and possibly some kids to have a go. I know my daughter has recorded it for my young grandsons to watch. If I have a crit it is the scheduling at 8pm not 7, as too late in the evening for youngish kids and hopefully it will get a repeat at some time in an earlier time slot.

• Like 2

As per the comments of many others here I found it enjoyable and entertaining

Not sure if I missed it but was wondering how the members of the winning team met (as they were strangers)?

I imagine it was a bit like the spice girls - the production company put them together for the purposes of the show.

Quite an enjoyable programme. Lots of advertising for Peco Setrack! I assume that Setrack was used pretty exclusively for its speed of construction, although one of the judging criteria was for quality of running, which I don’t equate with Setrack.

I dare not let the Mrs watch it as she will then question why it has taken me three years to produce less than these guys apparently produced in 3 days! However, I suspect it took the Missenden team a long time to building their “six” pre-build items.

• Like 1

Just watched it on catch up, I thought it was light hearted entertainment and the best layout won. The time constraints clearly restricted the quality but actually in doing so made it more appealing to the wider population and demonstrates some grass roots modelling that the masses could relate to.

Good program and enjoyed it, very entertaining. what concerns me is the deleting of posts. One I just read was not negative at all, it was just stating a fact. What has happened to freedom of speech

Edited by Andymsa

Fawley Hill www.fawleyhill.co.uk

It's the McAlpine's Estate.

I was a bit surprised to see all that empty space in the Museum, though I think I read somewhere that 'Holiday Haunts' is no more. I'm trying to think what else was in the space - I know some of it was road vehicles (easily shifted, and one of them put in an appearance in the programme).

As per the comments of many others here I found it enjoyable and entertaining

Not sure if I missed it but was wondering how the members of the winning team met (as they were strangers)?

They had submitted individual applications and were put together by the production company.

One of the team members had tried to get me on a team with him but I had to decline with regret owing to an agreement I had signed when doing some other filming earlier in the year.

Good program and enjoyed it, very entertaining. what concerns me is the deleting of posts. One I just read was not negative at all, it was just stating a fact. What has happened to freedom of speech

I think you will find those who pay for this forum are also the moderators. All things considered I reckon the moderators here allow quite a lot that wranckles them to stay.

As one of the teams involved in next week's heat, we were very interested to what the responce would be to the first episode, and on a whole it seems very positive. Lots to get the general public interested, plus a good look at some modelling too (that otherwise would never make it onto the box). :)

Hopefully this will encourage some new blood into the hobby, which is what it's all about :)

• Like 17

I think you will find those who pay for this forum are also the moderators. All things considered I reckon the moderators here allow quite a lot that wranckles them to stay.

As long as a post is not offensive or being personal, an opinion should be allowed. Even if that post gives a negative view or positive view.

• RMweb Gold

I dare not let the Mrs watch it as she will then question why it has taken me three years to produce less than these guys apparently produced in 3 days! However, I suspect it took the Missenden team a long time to building their “six” pre-build items.

So, let's think what the six pre-builds might have been:

1. The complete backscene.
  2. The complete station.
  3. The complete town.
  4. ...
  5. ... ...
  6. ... ... ...

Joking aside, different modellers (and groups of them) probably have their own ideas of how to build models, layouts etc - and what constitutes a "scenic item" - and this would probably have been reflected here.

I could also imagine some layout builders building large chunks of their own layouts as prefabricated sections - to be fitted together at a late stage - with "finishing off" of stuff like roads only happening right at the end. I suspect this could be the approach the Missenden team might be likely to apply - as reflected by a lot of high quality "prebuilds" and a solid framework, unfinished in places.

As far as I'm concerned, the rules are the same for all the teams in a given heat - and it's for the judges to decide how far rules can be stretched before they've been deemed to have been broken.

Personally, I think the judges probably got this about right here.

As for any stuff about "freedom of speech", I trust that most people here are aware of the wisdom of keeping comments within reasonable bounds.

Let's face it, the people who moderate sites like this are aware of the potential consequences if things were to be allowed to get out of hand.

I think it's only right that none of us make things harder for them ... please.

Huw.

• Like 6

I thoroughly enjoyed the program and thought it was a good advert for the hobby. It is nice to see the creative take on the layout themes - e.g. film theme, next week's based on tv programs. I think the best team won, their creativity in the scratch built challenge deserved it alone.

I must admit I found the attitude of the captain of the Missenden team to be arrogant and condescending. Railway modelling is a diverse hobby from the track mat train set modellers to the "serious" modellers who model everything accurately to the last rivet. All are valuable and a hobby should be enjoyable without looking down on others. I am glad that they did not win.

I am looking forward to next week.

• Like 4

I quite enjoyed the programme. My wife instantly recognised the metcalfe warehouses as she has been tasked with cutting the windows out on several occasions!

Not sure of the scratchbuild challenge, but i really did like the bomb.

The guy in charge of the team who 'cheated' seemed to have far to much confidence in the chances of them winning and came accross as a bit arrogant to me, possibly was edited that way. Im sure hes a decent bloke. Im the same when im in a singing competition - you can guess what I sing from my username!

I think the best layout won.

Looking forward to next week.

• Like 2

I'm planning to enter the competition next year. I'm going to import the whole of 'Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg', cut into 6 pieces as my pre-made models. Then, over the 3 days, add a few trees and eat loads of cake and see who comes out the winner.

Edited by gazwire
  • Like 2

Haven't posted on RMweb for a while but have been observing. The reason I have not participated much is because there seem to be some who do nkt respect what others do, and criticise for doing something different. Our hobbies are ro be enjoyed and we should be allowed to do so without being pilloried. If I want to run a of in a freightliner with a coach on the back as a brakevan then I will, nobody else should feel tbe need to critique, if you don't like what I am doing then look at something else. If you don't like what you see on TV then try the off button ans let everybody else get on and enjoy thier hobby. The ritual of putting people down bas put me off clubs and also from contributing to RMweb even, and you will put off other potential modellers. Just for one moment listen to yourselves, get over yourselves and go back to enjoying this great hobby. BTW havent watched the programme yet, so I reserve judgement. If I don't like what I see I will stop the recording just like I do about any other TV programme and will do something else instead. Which will not include moaning on the internet.

In this day and age with our younger generation playing on computers etc, we should all be trying to get on as bickering only makes our hobby weaker as we will lose rather than gain members. While there's nothing wrong with having differing opinions at all; lets just be amiable and most importantly, respect others' interpretation of their world of model railways.

• Like 5