Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this weeks episode. I'm past the hiding behind the sofa in case we are all shown up as weirdos. I'm only sorry that there won't be dinosaurs this week. I think all layouts need dinosaurs. 

All joking apart, there was a dinosaur (as a wagon load) on what is considered to be possibly the best American HO layout ever built - the G&D by the late John Allan.

From memory it was a stegosaurus - on a flat car!

• Like 2

Trouble is any viewer is entitled to rank what they see on some scale, say 1 to 5. I agree that there are RMweb users whose default is negative: 'cancel my subscription'; 'cancel my preorder'; never buy from 'X' again'; 'anything that X does is rubbish'. 

This is RMWeb bingo.  Get all 4 in one post and shout "HOUSE!".  You get a special prize - the Oxford Rail Book of Colours

Our three and four-year old grandchildren love it. They have also seen the trailers and a request flooded in for a dinosaur to visit Cwm Bach. Since Peppa Pig's younger brother George has a toy dinosaur I think it can be arranged, but a Welsh dragon may be more appropriate, especially as there is a good stock of rations at the loco depot and colliery. Obviously, the visit will have to take place on a day when no scary curmudgeons are around.  Stay tuned.

CK

The Peppa Pig family reminds me of a layout that was in Model Railway Constructor in the mid 1970s which was populated with Magic Roundabout characters.

It wasn't the Magic Roundabout train, but a narrow gauge railway.

Found a photo of it near the bottom of this page. It was called the Pendonkin and Tuppensoff Railway and it was December 1974 issue.

https://sidetracked2017blog.wordpress.com/2017/07/28/first-blog-post/

Jason

• Like 1

True a lot of negatively has come by the way the shows Made eg like bake off but even though there are faults with it we should be great full some one has desided to make a TV show about our great hobby

It's bound to be like Bake Off. It's the same company that's made it. The initial letter that came round introduced themselves as the company that makes Bake Off. (CJL)

But a healthy social media community needs to be a broad church - even if it is actively policed to deter the space-wasters.

Remarkeable. It took 507 posts before someone mentioned "broad church". As it is usually a euphemism for "anything goes" I shall look forward to seeing the show when I get back to the UK next week.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

All joking apart, there was a dinosaur (as a wagon load) on what is considered to be possibly the best American HO layout ever built - the G&D by the late John Allan.

From memory it was a stegosaurus - on a flat car!

Given the stegosaurus's armour, it should be a plate wagon. 

But a stegosaurus would be out of gauge in the UK. :jester:

I got 2 "funny's", 1 from Andy Y, 1 from Phil Parker. 1 is is like being blessed by the Pope, 2 means I can now die happy.

Funny in what way though. Hopefully not in a Goodfellas way.... :triniti:

Apparently last week was the Film episode, this weeks is a TV one. I'm pretty sure you could build a gangster themed layout if that was your interest.

Haven't watched it yet as I want to watch a couple together.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

As I had the layout up for some work I have conducted investigations in the interests of the future of the hobby.

A triceratops fits quite nicely on a conflat while the stegosaurus prefers the warwell as he has a fear of heights.

post-6968-0-37942300-1539370808_thumb.png

The small print:

Please note these dinosaurs are approximately two years old and due to their extinction 64 million years ago we cannot confirm or deny the final size as we aren't sure we've found the biggest specimens of these particular species. Due to the genetic recovery being in my personal laboratory it is possible the DNA may have been contaminated with cake so they may contain excess fat and not be suitable as part of a balanced diet. No dinosaurs were harmed in this research . . . well we appear to have mislaid the Tyrannosaur so we will qualify that with . . . yet.

post-6968-0-37942300-1539370808_thumb.png

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As I had the layout up for some work I have conducted investigations in the interests of the future of the hobby.

A triceratops fits quite nicely on a conflat while the stegosaurus prefers the warwell as he has a fear of heights.

attachicon.gifIMG_8801.JPG

The small print:

Please note these dinosaurs are approximately two years old and due to their extinction 64 million years ago we cannot confirm or deny the final size as we aren't sure we've found the biggest specimens of these particular species. Due to the genetic recovery being in my personal laboratory it is possible the DNA may have been contaminated with cake so they may contain excess fat and not be suitable as part of a balanced diet. No dinosaurs were harmed in this research . . . well we appear to have mislaid the Tyrannosaur so we will qualify that with . . . yet.

Oh look!......

It's a post from down under!

• Like 1

I'm pleased to see railway modelling on TV, I'd long wound up swmbo that Bake Off et al were tedious and that we could do with a model railway challenge type programme, to which I got a 'that would be boring' to which I replied 'so is bake off, its only cake making why get so stressed and excited over it, not all of us like watching baking, dancing, talent shows and railway modelling is a fair sized hobby in the western world, yet angling etc gets better coverage'.

With TGMC it would be nice to have a short cut away segment to a superb well crafted layout to show what can really be done with time, effort, skill and research/historical knowledge.

As it stands the 'false jeopardy', compressed timescales and challenges I feel, detracts from the more hard won elements of the hobby and may not put the hobby in it's best light? Please note the '?' My caveat being we don't know how it's been edited post filming away from the experts.

There is some good modelling (in the programme), under pressure,which will hopefully shine through and if it gets a second series commissioned let's hope continuous improvement takes place too.

At episode 2 I'd give the programme 6.5 out of 10.

Always interesting to see railway modelling/model making on TV though, fond memories of the Blue Peter layout and, IIRC, Model World.

Atvb

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

I enjoy watching the programme, but the presenters (Channel 5 bods) actually get on my nerves. Mock delight, false jeopardy and smug expressions actually detract from the format. Repetitive inserts and the cheesy music were also a p@&££ take! Peco’s input is evident, but they could have found some better presenters. Stick to car sos Tim!

• Like 2

• Administrators

I enjoy watching the programme, but the presenters (Channel 5 bods) actually get on my nerves. Mock delight, false jeopardy and smug expressions actually detract from the format. Repetitive inserts and the cheesy music were also a p@&££ take! Peco’s input is evident, but they could have found some better presenters. Stick to car sos Tim!

Mock delight, false jeopardy ARE the format, see also Repetitive inserts and the cheesy music. To be honest, there's far less of this than in Car SOS...

Anyway, I enjoyed that. No pantomime villains this week and some pretty good modelling, especially considering the timescale. That Walford layout had so much going on! You've got to feel for the guys whose animations didn't work, but then that's also part of the challenge.

Nice to see some explanations of the Faller, sorry "RTR bus" and static grass too. OK, not much depth, but better than nothing. 

And next week - more dinosaurs! They are listening to us after all :onthequiet:

Although I enjoyed last weeks episode I thought tonight's was better.

Think the judges summary was spot on. Not sure i would have spent time installing a third rail for a time limited competition! Shame the Watford one had running issues as it looked the best layout visually and that may have made the difference.

Spot on Terry it a model railway not a train set. My wife laughed at that as she has heard me say the same often enough.

A good advert for our hobby, well done to all involved.

• Like 1