Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

The format of taking a more realistic period to build an entire layout has been tried, as a TV format. I am thinking of the series "The Garden Railway", presented by the very funny and personable Mark Found. This series took each stage of the build, in each episode, using the formula of an enthusiastic near-idiot, with a sceptic spouse, being shown what to do by an expert or two, as their small back garden became a horrible mess, until, butterfly-like, a charming layout emerged and order was restored. In between the concrete pouring and track laying, there would be visits to other garden railways around the country (including of course Bob Syme's fantastic wonderland - shows how long ago this was). It was rivetting and compulsive viewing, even though the gauge, scale and power source he was using, was not one of my choice, largely because it was so entertaining.

But it was only on one of the Sky Discovery channels, although you can still see every episode on YouTube. But it did get some reasonable viewing numbers I believe, for that kind of channel, so one wonders what such a series would obtain on a main channel. But it proved that the right presenter(s) and format, are everything.

The last model railway layout programme aimed more at modellers was Model Town also shown on Discovery Shed channel a few years back it has not been repeated nor has it ever come out on DVD. It showed several techniques from track laying and ballasting to building construction and weathering. If I recall it was built in one of the buildings on the Bluebell line and displayed there for a while. It also had an entertainment aspect to attract the occasional channel hopper with a back story based on a murder, spies and a radio-active tin mine.

Richard

But it was only on one of the Sky Discovery channels, although you can still see every episode on YouTube. But it did get some reasonable viewing numbers I believe, for that kind of channel, so one wonders what such a series would obtain on a main channel. But it proved that the right presenter(s) and format, are everything.

Hi Mike

I think that will always be the case for programmes that aim to show you how to do something; they're simply not mainstream programmes for a mass audience that basically wants to be entertained.  Country File looks at issues relating to farming but it doesn't include detailed explanations of how to organise your crop rotation, gain organic status, or choose the best tractor. Julia Bradbury didn't devote large chunks of Wainright or Railway Walks to  explaining how to read an OS  map or what sort of wet weather gear to take though both may have been referenced and would be important if you were seriously taking up long distance walking . Niche channels are another matter and have tackled in some detail everything from building an aeroplane to a house; there's even a whole channel (Horse and Country) devoted to everything about riding and keeping horses. Even then the presenters and production values have to be right and the programmes still have to be entertaining as well as informative.

What mainstream programmes can do is to kindle interest in something, as hopefully GMRC is doing, but it'll then be up to the rest of us to help that interest develop. It might be worth looking at what (if anything) other craft based hobbies and even sports do to reach out to anyone whose interest has been aroused. Exhibitions seem an obvious channel for this but it might require some new thinking and what else could clubs do?

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

I think that will always be the case for programmes that aim to show you how to do something; they're simply not mainstream programmes for a mass audience that basically wants to be entertained.  Country File looks at issues relating to farming but it doesn't include detailed explanations of how to organise your crop rotation, gain organic status, or choose the best tractor. Julia Bradbury didn't devote large chunks of Wainright or Railway Walks to  explaining how to read an OS  map or what sort of wet weather gear to take though both may have been referenced and would be important if you were seriously taking up long distance walking . Niche channels are another matter and have tackled in some detail everything from building an aeroplane to a house; there's even a whole channel (Horse and Country) devoted to everything about riding and keeping horses. Even then the presenters and production values have to be right and the programmes still have to be entertaining as well as informative.

What mainstream programmes can do is to kindle interest in something, as hopefully GMRC is doing, but it'll then be up to the rest of us to help that interest develop. It might be worth looking at what (if anything) other craft based hobbies and even sports do to reach out to anyone whose interest has been aroused. Exhibitions seem an obvious channel for this but it might require some new thinking and what else could clubs do?

They could always do a special program on another channel straight after the main show for those interested in a more detailed version of what went on........they seem to do that with programs like "big bother" and "I'm an unknown mediocre so called celebrity, get me out of here"

Edited by chuffinghell

• Administrators

Dave Rowe article.jpg

If anyone needs further advice or inspiration for building animated scenes, the December issue of Engineering in Miniature magazine has the latest article by Dave Rowe on his automata. This time it's a working playground in 4mm scale. 

• Administrators

Maybe the 'slow' TV movement of burning/splitting logs etc. has passed you by? People may find it theraputic watching a layout slowly come to life, like adult colouring.

No. We've even been working on something along these lines for BRM. The big difference is that to film them, you can plonk a camera in front of a fire etc. and shoot the lot in a day. The slow bus rides, for example, were filmed over 4 hours I think. 

Filming a layout being built would require regular trips by the camera crew to the builder, or that have to work in a studio for a long period of time. Either costs a huge amount of money as the process is likely to take months rather than hours. A good example would be the James May Reconstructor series, the format works but he can be pretty static making the filming easier. Layout photography requires a lot of different viewpoints. 

This all could be done, and it could be very interesting. Possibly even interesting to the general public with the right person fronting it, but it wouldn't be cheap, easy or quick to do.

• Like 2

Maybe the 'slow' TV movement of burning/splitting logs etc. has passed you by? People may find it theraputic watching a layout slowly come to life, like adult colouring.

I'm not sure how therapeutic it would be listening to my language when I burn my fingers, or discover I've soldered a headstock on upside down, or find that a tiny part has decided it would prefer to superglue itself to me rather than the model.

• Like 1

Hi Mike

Quite true David. However, The Garden Railway managed that balance very well - I would guess about a third was cracking jokes and amusing ( more than amusing, mostly very funny) banter, a third actually about doing something and a third about other people's railways. That's why it worked better than most. But you are right - it would be quite a gamble for mainstream telly producers, especially peak hours. Something for late night Channel 4 maybe, or in the mornings instead of the forty-ninth re-run of Frasier (good though that was)?

• RMweb Premium

Quite true David. However, The Garden Railway managed that balance very well - I would guess about a third was cracking jokes and amusing ( more than amusing, mostly very funny) banter, a third actually about doing something and a third about other people's railways. That's why it worked better than most. But you are right - it would be quite a gamble for mainstream telly producers, especially peak hours. Something for late night Channel 4 maybe, or in the mornings instead of the forty-ninth re-run of Frasier (good though that was)?

We're doomed, We're doomed!!! that's the only Frazer I know of...  Where's Cpl Jones when you need him..

They could always do a special program on another channel straight after the main show for those interested in a more detailed version of what went on........they seem to do that with programs like "big bother" and "I'm an unknown mediocre so called celebrity, get me out of here"

Errr...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/138126-great-model-railway-challenge-channel-5/?p=3343892

• RMweb Gold

When it takes three days for a modeller to airbrush 12 OO huts, you have to wonder if he has the right skills to do the job, or was he using the right paints !

Agree; that segment pushed my incredulity level to new heights.  Three hours ought to be nearer the mark for building and painting.

The first should be plenty to batch-assemble a dozen simple shed kits, leaving two for the painting and decorating.

I thought I was a leisurely modeller.... :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Counting down to the appearance of Diesel Dynamos in this night episode...….

Even the mother in Law will be watching!

Not sure which is most scary - being on the tv or the fact that mother in law will be watching.

She already promised a 'phone call with her critique on what we have done.

Don't forget - Tonight at 8pm on Channel 5

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I should know better than to post anything on here, I give up

Well I’m glad you’ve posted on this thread ... I like the rules in your signature and I clicked on the link to your own layout thread and am now a follower. I smiled when I read your update from 20th Oct where you said that GMRC has inspired you to get off your behind to progress your own layout - that for me is what GMRC is about, just like model magazines, RMWeb etc ... to inspire.

To inspire non-modellers to maybe talk about modelling, maybe even nip to a shop to buy a magazine or visit a show and that may lead to buying a train-set or get back into more specific/detailed modelling. Also to inspire existing modellers to maybe spend an extra hour or two per week than they would normally spend, or to get the ad-hoc modellers (like yourself) inspired again to progress your own layout. I’ve not updated my own layout thread for a bit .... too busy modelling as I’m extra inspired!

Great credit to all those involved in the creation of GMRC, to the teams and all those behind the scenes that’s created a show that’s showcasing the hobby in an entertaining and respectful manner.

• Like 3

On the way home from school today my son said one of his friends from class has told him that the model railway program was on at 8 and now my son wants to watch it so the programs doing something right lol

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Agree; that segment pushed my incredulity level to new heights.  Three hours ought to be nearer the mark for building and painting.

The first should be plenty to batch-assemble a dozen simple shed kits, leaving two for the painting and decorating.

I thought I was a leisurely modeller.... :jester:

Mmmm.

Is it possible that the way it was presented on the show might have been slightly misleading?

• Like 1

Mmmm.

Is it possible that the way it was presented on the show might have been slightly misleading?

Well, yes.

And, actually, possibly a little lost among the noise, was a very brief comment about the team captain reshuffling his team and putting that member "back on huts". So, in fact, he wasn't working on them solid for all three days. It's just that that's the only thing we saw him doing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd go for Robert Llewellyn.

Or failing that, Felicity Kendal, simply because... Felicity Kendal. 

I agree but I reckon also Julia Bradbury knows a fair bit about railways.....I'll get my anorak...

• Like 2