Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

• RMweb Gold

Well, yes.

And, actually, possibly a little lost among the noise, was a very brief comment about the team captain reshuffling his team and putting that member "back on huts". So, in fact, he wasn't working on them solid for all three days. It's just that that's the only thing we saw him doing.

The joy of editing...

• RMweb Gold

I think if they do a second series they could have a celebrity judge thrown in. Who would you choose? If you fancy the idea that is lol.

I'm afraid this isn't an idea I'd personally favour.

I'd definitely prefer what we've got in the current series - judges chosen on the basis of subject knowledge / expertise - and I happen to like the judges we've already got.

Huw.

• Like 1

Also, celebrities would need to be paid, which would come out of the budget. But if they do have a bigger budget next time, I'd prefer them to spend it on the models or the production. A bigger venue, with each team having their own room so as not to cause problems with audio spill when recording, has already been mentioned by participants. That's an obvious upgrade if a future series does get made.

• Like 1

Not a spoiler as such, so I think I can get away with mentioning it, but one of the youngsters on the "Railway Children" team was just asked what got him into railway modelling, and he replied "Thomas".

Which, I think, does make a very important point. People don't, on the whole, go straight from being newcomers to finescale modellers. It's a progression. And this show is, obviously, at the coarser end of that spectrum. But it's the sort of thing that is a feeder into the more skilled and high-fidelity end of the hobby.

• Like 1

And the winners of episode 4 are....

...well, you'll have to watch the show for that. But all three layouts this week were absolutely brilliant. Any of them would be a worthy addition to the exhibition circuit.

• Like 2

By far the Best layout appearing in the programmes to date for me, OK maybe I am probably biased ( GWR ) but it certainly shows what can be done by quality modellers who set their minds to the challenge.

Very well done to Drew and the team !

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I enjoyed that.

It wasn't presented in a way that made it clear which one they were going to pick this time.

I think the Railway Children's entry was the most impressive given their experience compared to the others, and I thought their commentary on the layout was by far the best. If I was judging I would have been tempted to choose them.

(Mind you the comedy lorry crash was also entertaining).

Interesting choices on product placement, or the lack of it, like the de-labelled Pepsi bottles and the "crisp box" for the scratchbuild challenge with the logos covered up Blue Peter style, only for one of the contestants later to be shown with a Pringles box.

The other thing that got me thinking is that it seems that Hornby and Bachmann can't afford adverts in the programmes (maybe they're saving up for one in the final?)...but thanks to the competition the Ravenglass and Eskdale get two adverts per programme...

• Like 4

First time commenting but the Fawley Flyers layout looked very impressive for three days work.  Ballasting, point rodding, signals, it was just a shame that the Kerosine Castle didn't get a run.

But fair play to everyone who has competed, it can't be easiy getting a layout together in 24 hours whilst under the scrutiny of the television cameras.

• Like 1

I have enjoyed all the episodes so far. Even Mrs Rivercider looked up from her kindle several times and correctly called the winners of episodes 2 and 3.

As far as judging goes, it must be a bit like comparing apples with oranges, (and how much importance is given by the judges to keeping to the brief).

cheers

• Like 1

Can't argue with the winner, though it wasn't my favourite of the three.

Seemed like a very difficult theme to interpret into a layout, to be honest.

Thought my earlier suggestion for the theme would have been a winner!

However, the winning layout was pretty good, I'm slightly surprised that it won when one of the judges commented that it didn't pay much attention to the "theme"!  It also had a dearth of pointless animations/gadgets too.

The best thing about the programme was that everyone seemed to be having a good time!

• Like 4