Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

20 hours seems a bit of an exaggeration as she produced over 50 in the 4 days .

I was quoting both the verbal words and the sub-titles, by the person,

and if I recall correctly the '20' was queried by the person asking the question.

I shall have to iplayer it later.

• RMweb Premium

Never been to Missenden so can't comment. However I have been, when they were running, to several Hobby Holidays workshop weekends and they were great. I was able to work with Tony Wright several times, (who has become a good & supportive friend since then); Norman Soloman (enabled me to become a track & point builder); Ian Rathbone, (who took some of the fear out of using Air Brushes), and Tim Shackleton who inspired me into weathering well as you might say! They may be termed mentors but they were also good buddies. The difference perhaps was that there was no single project that was required to be completed by a team, just individual projects to be tackled at one's own pace and level of ability. 

I can understand why some would not like to be involved in layout building such as was shown in the programme but I would encourage people to attend courses such as Missenden and the little known ones such as the Worsley Works Modelling weekends (I bet you have not heard of those?) that seem such a good opportunity to share skills and ideas.

Phil

• Like 2

I was quoting both the verbal words and the sub-titles, by the person,

and if I recall correctly the '20' was queried by the person asking the question.

I shall have to iplayer it later.

Yes, I know that, it was her claim of 20 hours I was questioning.

However long they took, having seen those trees in the flesh they were very good.

PARTIAL SPOILER ALERT - 20 hours seems a bit of an exaggeration as she produced over 50 in the 4 days of the final.

I missed the comment, but I guess she was talking about how long she usually takes to make a model tree, however if there is a need for more to be built within a shorter time, less detail can be put into each tree, added to the benefits of batch building, and having a workspace dedicated to modelling all, add up to building more within a shorter time

• RMweb Premium

PARTIAL SPOILER ALERT - 20 hours seems a bit of an exaggeration as she produced over 50 in the 4 days of the final.

IIRC the question was, "How long does it take to make a tree?" Answer 20 hours.

How long does it take to make say 5 trees - answer maybe 22 hours.

Remember she starts by boiling a pan scrubber for 2 hours (then presumably lets it cool before the next step) and a scrubber will do a number of trees, and if you have 50 trees you boil up a full pack of scrubbers at the same time.  Given the rules, which we have now seen, I think she will have been able to do a lot of the time consuming preparation before the competition and bring it as "own scenic materials".

Having built trees from scratch using wire, solder, plaster, paint, foliage mat, "leaves", hair spray and then final paint weathering.  I could well believe that it would take 20 hours to make one tree with all of the cooling, drying, painting etc. time where you are basically waiting before you can start the next step.  If you have a lot to make much of that waiting time can be used with the next trees to be made.

• RMweb Premium

Episode 3 (which I missed) seems to have gone walkabout from the Channel 5 catch-up site, though 1 and 2 are still there as well as 4.  Can anyone give me an alternative link please?

(From which you can tell that I'm enjoying watching it …….)

Many thanks

Chris

Hi everyone,

It’s Mark from the Diesel Dynamos very much a name for telly, I’m sure it was Rays suggestion so that’s what we went with. I’m really pleased with the many positive comments about our episode and glad that you saw how much we were enjoying ourselves. What you didn’t see happen although the footage and remark about running was picked up was the laptop crashed right at the point Tim said Start your engines! As you can see the layout worked pretty well before and after! That’s just Sod’s law. I’m proud of what we achieved in the time and it was a great experience. We met some great people Phil and Castle along with the rest of the Flyers were brilliant, showing us round the museum and organising a trip down through the Estate too. I enjoyed chatting with Armit and he brought in his wonderful O gauge 85 to show. They were a bunch of very talented Modellers. The Railway children even made me feel old at 38 and were a brilliant team - there story telling at judging was fantastic probably the best and funniest of the series and our team and flyers did try and help where we could as they had an ambitious plan. The production crew, presenters and judges were all friendly and interested in what was going on and probably slightly worried on day 2 if it was even possible we’d complete our layouts.

And we didn’t need to worry about what people think as the feedback I had during and after has been amazing.

A great experience all round and really hoping for a second series as The Dynamos will return.

Thanks

Mark

• Like 14

Another who thought it was the wrong result. Very nice layout but completely missed the theme.

I don't understand the point of having a theme and then ignoring it when judging. And no three white vans and some flickering fireboxes do not wash. As said had they done a snow scene and braziers it should win but as it was no.

Another vote for the railway children. You were robbed!

Edited by Hobby

I’d say that considering the winning team (name escapes me) ignored the theme is a bit harsh. They had added fire (forebodes) and ice (kit built refrigerated wagons) to their layout. Why is this being treated as inferior to the fridge and chilli sauce factories of the other team? Frankly, I didn’t see much of a link there either.

Was it a brilliant interpretation? No, but everything worked and everything looked damn good. The railway children easily had the best interpretation of the brief, but regrettably they just didn’t have enough time to finish things off properly.

No critisism directed at any participants of the show - you all did bettter than I would have, and you all did wonderfully. I just think that comments being made are a tad one-sided and I needed to compare to illustrate my point

Edited by Edge
  • Like 4

I’d say that considering the winning team (name escapes me) ignored the theme is a bit harsh. They had added fire (forebodes) and ice (kit built refrigerated wagons) to their layout. Why is this being treated as inferior to the fridge and chilli sauce factories of the other team? Frankly, I didn’t see much of a link there either.

But the opposite to my previous point is true here, too. The winning team clearly won the scratchbuild challenge. I don't know how much weighting that got in the final scores, but it obviously has to count for something. Yes, their interpretation of the theme was unimaginative, to say the least. But that's pretty much the only thing where they were obviously below par. The construction and operation of the layout was superb. 

I think, unlike previous episodes where one layout was clearly better - if only a little bit better - on most aspects of the competition, in this case we had three layouts that all got at least one thing badly wrong but also got others right. None of them ticked every box. So the final outcome was more of a balancing act, weighing up the different aspects of the scoring to find a winner.

And, of course, the fact that it's controversial enough to get argued about here is another indication of why it's good TV :)

The Railway Children did skip the scratchbuild challenge, though, and their layout was considerably less complete than the other two. Both of those will have counted against them in the scoring.

May as well not have a theme then. I don't feel that there vans and some bulbs represented it either. The key to the challenge was the theme emphasised at the outset of the programme. This result in my eyes makes a mockery of it.

I agree the modelling was of a high standard but do it should ve considering it was just a flat board mainly covered in track and static grass. Not imaginative at all.

The winning team definitely had the most accomplished layout, and it seemed to work the best. So no arguments there.

On the other hand, it also seemed as though their interpretation of the pre-build rule was at least as liberal as Missenden's who got slated for it by the judges - though perhaps that's editing giving me that impression, and the link to the theme was exactly what Steve Flint said it was - rubbish.

• Like 2

I know a celebrity special has been suggested but a Christmas special with say 3 of the main modelling magazines against each other could make interesting viewing. If they take up the idea I will claim a fee!

Mark

But then presumably they would need a different judge as Steve Flint would not be a neutral!

I can see there’s been some confusion about why Fawley won this week. It was very clear when you were there but not so much when you watch the programme.

Ignoring any merits of the layouts themselves, they have to run to win. That’s the number one criteria. The Diesel Dynamos were using a computer to run their layout that unfortunately crashed just as the judging started meaning that nothing ran for a long time. It was long enough to put them out of contention.

Fawley’s layout ran flawlessly so that outweighed any deficits in their interpretation of the theme.

Hope that clears it up.

Kathy

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I haven’t watched any of this, but accepted the wisdom that it was intended for a general viewing audience, rather than those of us a little closer to the hobby. But the fact of this thread is that a worthwhile cross-section of seasoned RMwebbers has clearly been engaged by the programme, to the extent of healthy debate here.

The programme-makers seem to have managed to please a lot of people. From their perspective - tick.

• Like 1