Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

• RMweb Premium

I don't know if its related but I see Pete Waterman has been trotted out again to talk about model railways on Chris Evans show. Unfortunately I couldn't listen to it , but it might be that wider exposure is coming through the media. Haven't had a chance to look at last weeks episode yet. Sounds good though , especially if no dinosaurs or Sci Fi

I know theres a final heat , but is there then another program where all winners get together?

Out of interest, will this be a longer programme, eg. 90 mins?

No, the schedules still show it as an hour.

But, presumably, the final won't require much focus on the build, as that will already have been done. So it can look more at the comparisons between the finalists.

Huh? I see no gulf, just a wide variety of styles. What do you see that makes you think there is a gulf?

I think it is the idea that a finely detailed layout needs only to be well built in order to be in with a chance of winning, and the rules can be interpreted as liberally as possible by the makers in those cases; whereas those who create all manner of crazy and totally fictional scenarios must adhere to "the theme" as strictly as they can, or have no chance of winning. 

As far as I could see, the Diesel Dynamos chances were lost simply because a lorry fell off the end of a wall, and yet there appeared to be far more effort to create entertainment value in both their layout (and The Railway Children's) than having two rotating water columns and red LEDs in loco fireboxes. 

But, they are just me thinking aloud. 

As far as I could see, the Diesel Dynamos chances were lost simply because a lorry fell off the end of a wall, and yet there appeared to be far more effort to create entertainment value in both their layout (and The Railway Children's) than having two rotating water columns and red LEDs in loco fireboxes. 

Their layout had a very unfortunate computer crash at the start of judging and nothing ran for most of the judging period.  The most important criteria that we have is that the layouts must run.  It's a shame as it was a lovely layout otherwise.

Kathy

• Like 1

I also give full marks to Basingstokes Santa train idea using multiple gauges, and creativity, even if it wasnt authentic, the rendition of both trains across gauges certainly was.

Unless you've seen Santa's train how do you know if it was authentic or not? You're surely not doubting Santa's existence are you?  :O

Edited by Pete Thorpe
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Unless you've seen Santa's train how do you know if it was authentic or not? You're surely not doubting Santa's existence are you?  :O

It had to be Santa's train. without Santa's magic I don't see how that locomotive stayed on those tight curves.

Andy

• Like 3

• Administrators

I think it is the idea that a finely detailed layout needs only to be well built in order to be in with a chance of winning, and the rules can be interpreted as liberally as possible by the makers in those cases; whereas those who create all manner of crazy and totally fictional scenarios must adhere to "the theme" as strictly as they can, or have no chance of winning. 

But, they are just me thinking aloud. 

But as Kathy (one of the judges) said earlier, in this episode, the winner was the one that worked. The others struggled to run trains. OK, it was the most "finescale" one, but that was coincidence. More to the point, this was the first show filmed. Watch them in the order of production and you see a different picture.

• RMweb Premium

It had to be Santa's train. without Santa's magic I don't see how that locomotive stayed on those tight curves.Andy

Andy

Is it Santa Magic Glue as produced in Marston Road Stafford ? Ho Ho Ho

Terry

• Like 1

I also give full marks to Basingstokes Santa train idea using multiple gauges, and creativity, even if it wasnt authentic, the rendition of both trains across gauges certainly was.

Whilst they were different gauges, the important aspect was that they were different scales to give forced perspective. I don't think the reason for doing that was really explained.

Their layout had a very unfortunate computer crash at the start of judging and nothing ran for most of the judging period.  The most important criteria that we have is that the layouts must run.  It's a shame as it was a lovely layout otherwise.

Kathy

Thanks Kathy for the explanation. I had not realised that. 

I may have to watch these shows more than once, because I seem to miss some of the vital clues (probably while gossiping to the wife about which we thought might win). 

• Like 1

But as Kathy (one of the judges) said earlier, in this episode, the winner was the one that worked. The others struggled to run trains. OK, it was the most "finescale" one, but that was coincidence. More to the point, this was the first show filmed. Watch them in the order of production and you see a different picture.

Yes, thanks Phil. I think my problem is more a lack of complete concentration on my part. 

Whilst they were different gauges, the important aspect was that they were different scales to give forced perspective. I don't think the reason for doing that was really explained.

Robin did say in the narrative when presenting the layout that it was to give the impression the trains were farther away in the distance.

Thanks Kathy for the explanation. I had not realised that. 

I may have to watch these shows more than once, because I seem to miss some of the vital clues (probably while gossiping to the wife about which we thought might win). 

I have the joy of watching them 3 times each plus I was there for all of them.  I watch them with friends on the Friday, with my Mum on the Saturday and again on the catch up...

You can tell if trains have been slow in getting going when Tim makes a comment asking if anything is going to run or words to that effect.  It's subtle, really subtle.

Kathy

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

The programmes have been edited down into such short clips that it is hard to catch everything. I have watched some episodes 3 or 4 times, and still catch some things I had missed before. For instance, in Heat 4, with the Chilli factory, there is a brief glimpse of some lit burners and chilli peppers on the roof - real flames. I wonder who did the risk analysis on that?