Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

I agree, Aberdeen were worthy winners. I am always impressed with their show at the uni, small but always worth a visit. ( Particularly as my daughter lives in Bridge of Don) Will the winning layout be at the SEC in February? Or are there greater things to come next week? The Shunter team Water ride was brilliant. It has captured many of my friends, who are not modellers.

• Like 1

it feels weird seeing myself on screen

Tim had to do a few takes on the "blow our judges away" and "ship hot" such a forgetting the "away". ive met luigi before but didnt realise it was the same person, he was a trader at this years Narrow Gauge north. it was clear that the cameras were more after drama and tension but as i was calm and quietly toiling away, they happily left me alone. weve got a unique layout to all the others, its not an oval and its got transition curves on the end. our scratchbuild challenge was just ridiculous, what the **** are you supposed to do with goggles, the whole team supported our captain's decision. we had setbacks with our 6 pre builds with team members being absent, having to away to work or holidays they already had booked before doing this. one of our members was absent for the first few weeks before hand because of work but hopeful to get to fawley but had to pull out and was replaced at the last minute so only 2 of our prebuilds were done, Malcom's shed and my staithe

my photos and video to come

You did very well considering the setbacks. Though I was a little surprised that the wiring and testing wasn't done while you were waiting for the plaster to dry.

As to having to do re-takes, when I was recording Eggheads, Barry mispronounced "World Chess Championships" as "World Chesh Championships" so many times they ended up keeping it in! (Between takes, I asked if 'chesh' was what Sean Connery played and Jeremy Vine 'borrowed' the joke for the programme!)

Pat Doyle won't mind me saying that he will be looking for new teams for the next series at Warley on Sat 24th. So go chat to him if you are interested.

I was emailing him today, as I may well turn up in my outfit on the Sat 24th too, (no layout - that's 2019) and I wanted to pre-warn him :-) But if I can help promote the show, and the hobby in my own little way, then all well and good.

If there are a few of us there from the show, then we can have a mini reunion. Sort of lol. Or is that llooll 

Steampunk Laurie 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pat Doyle won't mind me saying that he will be looking for new teams for the next series at Warley on Sat 24th. So go chat to him if you are interested.

I was emailing him today, as I may well turn up in my outfit on the Sat 24th too, (no layout - that's 2019) and I wanted to pre-warn him :-) But if I can help promote the show, and the hobby in my own little way, then all well and good.

If there are a few of us there from the show, then we can have a mini reunion. Sort of lol. Or is that llooll 

Steampunk Laurie

Announced at end of programme about applying for series two. Whether you do or don't want to particpate personally it is excellent news for the hobby that a 2nd series is on the cards.

Steampunk Laurie

Wakefield has a club stand at Warley, I doubt if they will have any trouble filling the spots next time!

And a bit of good news in the voiceover the credits!

They've obviously just had a second series commissioned by Ch 5, presumably since last Friday's transmission. That is good news and cannot do anything but good for the hobby. I thought the best layout won this week but it was tighter than some of the previous heats so congratulations to all three teams. Had Wakefield really not run anything before the judging or was there some extra drama introduced there?  

It was tense when Steve “ hard man “ flint slagged off Gary’s Chernobyl sea, i could see a punch up coming . But did Gary really think the channel is green with the tide out ?

Aberdeen’s layout was very good, a worthy winner.

Another interesting episode .

They've obviously just had a second series commissioned by Ch 5, presumably since last Friday's transmission. That is good news and cannot do anything but good for the hobby. I thought the best layout won this week but it was tighter than some of the previous heats so congratulations to all three teams. Had Wakefield really not run anything before the judging or was there some extra drama introduced there?

I can confirm that was the first time the train had run all the way round and into the shed that Malcolm had in 60 mins knocked up having never scratch built any thing ever before. There was a dead spot underneath Sam’s wonderful coal loader that was traced to glue on the rail literally a few minutes before the TV crew arrived to shoot the scene.

Sods Law was the smoke generator in the tug worked before filming but during the filming!

Oh boy, that c-section pun was laborious.  The most delayed punch-line of the series?

As I mentioned earlier, I was watching this in the company of Abigail, my 8-year old daughter. Her comment at this point.... "Dad, did he just make a joke about mothers giving birth to babies? If so, he shouldn't. Some people might find that offensive. No, really, they might."

• Like 2

Incidentally, my daughter watched it with me this week and wanted what she called "the log flume team" to win. Which is the first one she's failed to correctly predict. But I thought Steve Flint's comment on that were spot on, when he talked about children watching it at a model railway exhibition.

For me, that has to be "pre-build item of the series" - although it had appeared in the opening footage I'd just assumed that the 'logs' were placed at the top by hand and allowed to run down once. But today's footage showed that there was a lift built in to keep 'recycling' them. Quite a feat of engineering!

Again, the pre-build rule really needs to be firmed up one way of the other.

A lot of money was spent on some of those pre-build items tonight in Heat 5 for one team in particular. Both time and money spent on pre-builds throughout the series varied an awful lot. I do hope Knickerbocker read this thread. I will chat to Producer Pat about it too. We did hardly any pre-build wanting to actually fulfil the challenge as set. But knowing what I know now we would do a load more. Only the teams competing really know what happened in each heat. But we do talk to each other you know ;-) 

On a positive note, some wonderful layouts and ideas in Heat 5. Last minute running was exciting and I was rooting for that team to get going. Other teams had great animations and wonderful ideas. Very competitive heat I thought. 

They are doing this hobby proud. And so is the show. 

• Like 2

I still want to know what part of the Lake District incorporates 'Ravensclass' and 'Eggsdale'.

That sort of mispronunciation is very common. Get over it.

Think how the Americans pronounce aluminium and solder. And how some US Presidents (not the current one, I think) pronounce nuclear.

...R

Whenever there are rules, there will be those who will exploit any loophole, requiring changes to cover off situations the rule-makers never thought of.

In the 1970s, cricket's Law-makers had to insert a stipulation that cricket bats must be made of wood, after Dennis Lillee batted with one made out of aluminium....

Even an ancient game like chess is not immune. Some well-established rules were rewritten a few years ago after a chess puzzle setter came up with peculiar moves like promoting a pawn to a rook and on the next turn castling up the board, or promoting a pawn into one of the opponent's pieces!

• RMweb Gold

That sort of mispronunciation is very common. Get over it.

Think how the Americans pronounce aluminium and solder. And how some US Presidents (not the current one, I think) pronounce nuclear.

"Aluminum" / "aluminium" is actually rather interesting - although not necessarily for the reason some people might think.

I seem to recall reading something in "English English", from a couple of centuries back (possibly even pre- American War of Independence), in which "aluminum" appeared - so I wonder if this might actually be the original spelling of this word.

As far as I'm aware, English is a "living language" - so I'd expect a number of words (and their spellings and meanings) to "evolve" over time. This might well happen differently in different countries - quite possibly leading to some countries (where the same basic language is used) being described as "divided by a common language".

Of course, I should point out that I've never pretended to be a linguist (far from it - my HND is in Electrical & Electronic Engineering) - but I've never been fazed by stuff like this.

Huw.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

At the end of the show it was announced there would be a second  series and where asking for people to apply, we should have an Rmweb team?.

I thought there was an RMweb team that Clive Mortimore assembled?

I take it you mean the Diesel Dynamos?

When Clive put together the original version of this team, I don't think it was completely composed of people from RMweb.

By the time this team competed in the first heat to be filmed (the 4th to be shown!), the line-up had changed slightly.

I don't know how many of the team that appeared in the series are actually in RMweb - not that this aspect actually matters too much, anyway.

Of course, if a group of RMweb members were to decide to get together and form a new team for the next series, there would be nothing to stop this ... .

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

Well done to Aberdeen MRC - brilliant layout guys! Shunter Guys and Wakefield put in a great effort too - we looked at doing resin water and sacked it off due to the time for drying, so to have it as the main focus of your theme must have been a big challenge. All the layouts came out brilliantly, though I do think my favourite thing was the Class 37 boat, absolutely amazing piece! I couldn't even tell they were 37s until it was pointed out!

On another note, Max has produced another video, this time mainly focusing on our antics off-camera during filming consisting of some funny moments and a look at behind the scenes.

• Like 3