Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

OT warning. I've long been given to understand that many things often termed "Americanisms" are actually closer to C17th English than is modern "English" English. I've also heard similar about the relationship between Afrikaans and Dutch but, speaking neither, I've had to take that one on faith. I wouldn't be particularly surprised if the principle applies to European and Latin American Spanish too.

I think I'd have have voted for the shunters' layout because of the theme park - as Steve Flint said if it goes to any exhibitions it'll be a massive hit. I couldn't say that Aberdeen didn't also deserve to win though - it seemed pretty obvious from early on that they would, and multicoloured water aside I couldn't fault it in any way, and it was probably the best executed overall.

All 3 were good this week.

• RMweb Gold

Great news about the 2nd series.  Will there be enough interest from Joe Public to warrant spin-offs like Bake Off - Another Slice,  Strictly - It Takes Two, The Apprentice - You're Fired.

I can't wait for:

GMRC - Another Grice

GMRC - It Takes Choo

GMRC - You're Flat Tyred.

And who would present it?  Louise Minchin from Breakfast TV always has a twinkle in her eye.  Or maybe Ann Hegarty from The Chase to give the losers some tough love?

from the comments here and my reading of the rules and watching the programme it does not look as though there is a level playing field here. Some teams have clearly started with a lot more built than others, which begs the question of a prebuilt item or not. a row of terraces could be one item as could six or seven trees on a sub base board. I could plead for clarity and , maybe, a bit more fairness? happy to have this clarified by one who knows.

That apart it's great to see the hobby get some coverage and to see some really good modelling on show.

Edited by robert17649
  • Like 1

I know the water in the Channel wasn't what was planned but I thought the tide-out effect was superb.

Yes the way it formed there was a causeway effect in the middle. The drying time was the killer because the filming space was massive. Our heat coincided with a break in the weather from the cracking flags heat. We had thounderstorms and high humidity with relatively cool nights making setting and curing times a problem

from the comments here and my reading of the rules and watching the programme it does not look as though there is a level playing field here. Some teams have clearly started with a lot more built than others, which begs the question of a prebuilt item or not. a row of terraces could be one item as could six or seven trees on a sub base board. I could plead for clarity and , maybe, a bit more fairness? happy to have this clarified by one who knows.

That apart it's great to see the hobby get some coverage and to see some really good modelling on show.

Although it's evident there was some evolution of the rules through the process it's probably fair to say that each of the teams taking part in any show would have been working to the same set of evolved rules. What may differ is the interpretation and exploitation of what was possible within that framework.

When Phil launched our cakebox challenge the first few days and weeks seem to be full of potential entrants looking if they could do x, y or z within the rules - and that was with the simplicity of a cakebox-sized 8" x 8" x 6" parameter. Imagine what it's like with a 10' x 5' layout with additional requirements.

If there was anything which materialised into a problem I am sure the production company will look at what rules and guidelines are set for a further series.

Really enjoyed last nights episode and looking forward to the final. Fantastic news about a second seies as well. I thought the best layout, for me at least, won. I also liked James Richardson's attempts at getting as many water puns in as possible, reminds me of when he used to do Football Italia!

Steve.

• RMweb Premium

I would guess the reason for jiggling the series order was to show the layouts getting better and better rather than keep them in true chronological order.

As has been mentioned I too thought the “drained channel” looked bloomin’ good, maybe not exactly English Channel but a good tide out representation, maybe it just looked a bit weirder close up?

Although it's evident there was some evolution of the rules through the process it's probably fair to say that each of the teams taking part in any show would have been working to the same set of evolved rules. What may differ is the interpretation and exploitation of what was possible within that framework.

When Phil launched our cakebox challenge the first few days and weeks seem to be full of potential entrants looking if they could do x, y or z within the rules - and that was with the simplicity of a cakebox-sized 8" x 8" x 6" parameter. Imagine what it's like with a 10' x 5' layout with additional requirements.

If there was anything which materialised into a problem I am sure the production company will look at what rules and guidelines are set for a further series.

I think the main issue is that they have a few teams of individuals getting together who cannot do any prework like the clubs can and that puts them at a big disadvantage. On the first episode I thought is was a one off as a team had dropped out but obviously not as there have been 3 teams like this I think.

Another slight issue is what constitutes a prebuild? Missenden got pulled up for rows of houses yet Fawley laid all the top board track which, in reality, was a lot more than 6 pieces. This is an anomaly that needs sorting out and clarifying for next time.

Regarding the comments about Fawleys layout for Fire and Ice theme I thought they could easily have put the scenic snow over the tracks and buildings to show a winter scene.

Garry

Can you imagine the arguments?   :jester:

Starting with.......DC or DCC !!!

I also enjoyed last night's programme and agreed that the best layout won, although the other two were both valiant efforts.

I also agree with the points regarding pre-builds; It would have been enlightening for the viewer if, right at the start of layout building, each team's pre-builds were displayed, so that the levelness of the playing field could be assessed......

• Like 3

Having just read some misogynistic bile on Facebook about the series in a group there was a lone, but sane, voice making a good point: "I am afraid that the perfectionists are what is destroying modelling as a hobby for the newcomers" and someone saying that younger teams evidently are enjoying the experience more than some of the traditional (and older) club teams. I chuckled to myself overhearing a conversation in a model shop the other day:

Grumpy old man - "Have you watched that TV programme? What do you think of it?"

Shopkeeper - "No, not yet; I've been at the club on those nights"

GOM - "I think it's rubbish"

Shopekeeper - "I don't know, I haven't seen it"

GOM - "I knew I was right; it's rubbish"

• Like 8

There were a few teams that were not able to fully exploit the rules due to mainly logistical and personnel problems (getting a tower block on the plane or not having a full set of modellers in the team for example), and very few cases of exceeding the rules (wrong configuration of baseboards, too many rows of terraces!) that were picked up by the judges, so in the main the rules as finalised worked quite well in the end - the rules were just a bit late getting finalised (more probably would have had fiddleyards if their designs had not been finalised before the rule change).

Everyone (modellers, viewers, judges, and especially the production team) want to see something that is approaching a finished model that works, so it is a key aspect that some structures can be pre-built to add a nice quality focus to key areas of the layout, and getting a working animation done in the 24 hours is really pushing it so encouraging those to be pre-built is also an excellent idea (as yesterday's heat showed - the animations were delightful). I am not convinced that there is any need to pre-lay some of the track, but if it allows better modelling then I guess it has to be a plus.

I am sure that anyone reading this thread (and some of the layout threads) will have a pretty good idea of what is involved if they want to take part, and anyone who has taken part will have a really good idea of what the judges are actually looking for, so series 2 will be absolutely superb!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think with the prebuilds it really needs some harder and fast limits.

For example:

Not more than 2 buildings, each no bigger footprint than 45x45cm (or equivalent surface area). Sounds large but the Watford tower block was awesome and I wouldn’t want that type of thing shut out.

1 piece of landscape, similar dimensions

3 scenic items , such as trees, coaling stages, boats, monuments, etc.

Hopefully the production company have some better insights from filming to give a fair playing field next series.

• Like 1

there was a lone, but sane, voice making a good point: "I am afraid that the perfectionists are what is destroying modelling as a hobby for the newcomers"

What utter poppy cock. The "perfectionists" - by whom the writer probably meant those that model in 2mmFS, EM, P4 or S7,  probably have very little, if any, regular interaction with newcomers. The people who do that are club members, either at their clubhouse or local show, the high street model shop (where they still exist), or more importantly forums, magazines and online retailers. 

I attend a number of shows each year and "newcomers" aren't veryl evident at Scaleforums or ExpoEMs (where the writer of that daft statement will probably believe the "perfectionists" congregate) but are much more in evidence at shows like the CMRA January show in Stevenage, the IRMA show in Ipswich, the L&WMRC show in Leamington or the WVMRC show in Southwold.

• Like 1

What utter poppy cock. The "perfectionists" - by whom the writer probably meant those that model in 2mmFS, EM, P4 or S7,  probably have very little, if any, regular interaction with newcomers. The people who do that are club members, either at their clubhouse or local show, the high street model shop (where they still exist), or more importantly forums, magazines and online retailers. 

I attend a number of shows each year and "newcomers" aren't veryl evident at Scaleforums or ExpoEMs (where the writer of that daft statement will probably believe the "perfectionists" congregate) but are much more in evidence at shows like the CMRA January show in Stevenage, the IRMA show in Ipswich, the L&WMRC show in Leamington or the WVMRC show in Southwold.

Each to their own. If it does not appeal to you then fine but to rubbish everyone else who has a go is going too far. Railway modelling is a broad church and there is room inside it for everyone. The fact that the series has exceeded its projected viewing figures shows there is a demand for such shows otherwise the figures would have tailed off by now. I volunteer on the NYMR and there are numerous people coming to see Piglet et al on the railway. At Wakefield we have set a target of at least 100 extra visitors and 2 new members as a result of being on the show at our exhibition 16/17/18 th Nov. If you want to come and be disgruntled of X fine by me, just pay your £7 at the door, free show guide included and I will even throw in a cup of tea. If you want to see elements of the layout and the other team members ( it was a team event even though the team captains tended to be shown) they will all be there.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That sort of mispronunciation is very common. Get over it.

No, why should we? I agree with Paul on that.

Are you this abrupt when conversing face-to-face, by the way?

Of course, I should point out that I've never pretended to be a linguist (far from it - my HND is in Electrical & Electronic Engineering) - but I've never been fazed by stuff like this.

Nothing against what you have said, Huw, but I do have a qualification in linguistics, and whilst Robin 2 seems to find that kind of mispronunciation acceptable, I think it's symptomatic of a lazy approach to language and is unacceptable.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 2

What utter poppy cock.

I'm afraid it isn't in my view. If a prospective newcomer/returnee who has been enthused by what they have seen on TV encounters some of these snide jibes from people who do include some who view themselves as being at the upper end of the hobby they could well think 'I'm not going to get far in this hobby'. I can point you to some examples within RMweb if you wish as it's not just Facebook/Twitter. It's a shame they can't offer a perspective of encouragement.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As has been mentioned I too thought the “drained channel” looked bloomin’ good, maybe not exactly English Channel but a good tide out representation, maybe it just looked a bit weirder close up?

Best model of the beach at Weston-super-Mare I've ever seen.

• Like 2

Those pondering the question of whether "the perfectionists" bear any responsibility for the state of the hobby, positive or negative, will find a rich seam of food for thought in this and all other GMRC threads, especially those not moderated quite so strictly. Whether there is a pattern to be found in those posters most negative about the GMRC and the type of modelling they espouse, I will leave to the individual researcher.

• Like 1