Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

• RMweb Premium

Starting with.......DC or DCC !!!

I also enjoyed last night's programme and agreed that the best layout won, although the other two were both valiant efforts.

I also agree with the points regarding pre-builds; It would have been enlightening for the viewer if, right at the start of layout building, each team's pre-builds were displayed, so that the levelness of the playing field could be assessed......

Absolutely. There should be a part early on in the programme where the pre-builds are revealed to the viewers, and the judges have the occasion to pass judgement on what complies with the rules or not (and therefore what can be used) and for this decision to be made BEFORE the build gets under way, to make it fair for all the teams.

• RMweb Gold

Or was it that Missenden's opponents objected and Fawley's didn't?

Perhaps, but as noted previously, this was the first episode filmed and possibly there was a re-think on the part of the producers?

Another point to consider though, was that at least Fawley did present a much more complete layout than Missenden did....

It’s all relative of course , what people regard as perfectionists may be standard to others. I’m absolutely not a perfectionist , just out to get enjoyment from the hobby, but I must admit initially being disappointed at the inclusion of dinosaurs and flying saucers. This is not railway modelling as I know it ,

Dinosaurs have a credible precedent:

http://miniaturearchitect.blogspot.com/2015/07/gorre-daphetids-13-engine-emma-organic.html?m=1

It even sparked me into finishing my own...:

post-6819-0-84221800-1541271150_thumb.jpg

I've also tried the Firebox LED trick, and want to build a barge from a pair of class 37 bodies, which are now like Hen's teeth....

Edited by 298
  • Like 5

• Administrators

Although it's evident there was some evolution of the rules through the process it's probably fair to say that each of the teams taking part in any show would have been working to the same set of evolved rules. What may differ is the interpretation and exploitation of what was possible within that framework.

When Phil launched our cakebox challenge the first few days and weeks seem to be full of potential entrants looking if they could do x, y or z within the rules - and that was with the simplicity of a cakebox-sized 8" x 8" x 6" parameter. Imagine what it's like with a 10' x 5' layout with additional requirements.

If there was anything which materialised into a problem I am sure the production company will look at what rules and guidelines are set for a further series.

Andy's right. If you look at the wrangling and questions for a competition with only 2 rules designed to encourage imagination, I could see the entire 3 days being taken up with endless niggly arguments for GMRC. Many in our hobby, for a variety of reasons, like absolutely EVERYTHING to be laid down in detail that would make the Formula 1 rulebook look like a pamphlet.

The whole point of the judges is that they weigh everything up and come to a decision. Someone has turned up with a pre-built layout in the car? It won't matter how good it is, it won't win because this isn't in the spirit of the competition. Slightly rough, but massively entertaining layout - a winner compared to a P4 branch line where the team insist they won't run a train because it's an afternoon and the next one isn't due for a couple of hours.

The judging isn't a digital process, it's analogue. The results won't satisfy everyone, but that generates discussion which keeps people watching. We all have our favourites and sometimes we agree with the judges, sometimes we don't. That's entertainment.

• Like 3

That sort of mispronunciation is very common. Get over it.

But it shouldn't be on an advertisement on prime time TV when it is so very easy to pronounce it correctly.  I wonder what the locals think?

And what have 'Americanisms' got to do with it?

• Administrators

Dinosaurs have a credible precedent:

http://miniaturearchitect.blogspot.com/2015/07/gorre-daphetids-13-engine-emma-organic.html?m=1

It even sparked me into finishing my own...:

attachicon.gifIMAG5045.jpg

I've also tried the Firebox LED trick, and want to build a barge from a pair of class 37 bodies, which are now like Hen's teeth....

That is an American prototype, and as we know, they can't even spell or say aluminium properly. For dinosaurs, there is, of course, a British precedent: 

MV5BMDcwMTgxZGMtNDczZi00MzcxLThlNzYtMjA4

• Like 8

One possible formula could be to supply a 'base pack' of materials, ie:-

An 8'x 4' flat pre-built board,

x RH, x LH, points, a slip and a diamond, x yards of flexitrack, pins, wire etc,

Assortment of scenic materials, flock, ballast, glues, etc,

Construction materials, cardboard, mod-rock, paper mache, e.g.

There would additionally be a general stores including paints, building kits, extra track and points etc.

There would be no pre-builds, each team brings their own tools and a developed track plan. Stock would also be supplied by the teams. There could be themes but they would be 'normal' subjects like, urban, country, industrial, harbour, etc.

The object being to pit skills and imagination between teams.

• Like 1

One possible formula could be to supply a 'base pack' of materials, ie:-

An 8'x 4' flat pre-built board,

x RH, x LH, points, a slip and a diamond, x yards of flexitrack, pins, wire etc,

Assortment of scenic materials, flock, ballast, glues, etc,

Construction materials, cardboard, mod-rock, paper mache, e.g.

There would additionally be a general stores including paints, building kits, extra track and points etc.

There would be no pre-builds, each team brings their own tools and a developed track plan. Stock would also be supplied by the teams. There could be themes but they would be 'normal' subjects like, urban, country, industrial, harbour, etc.

The object being to pit skills and imagination between teams.

There was a general store in this series. We were supposed to be able to “ buy” materials against our budget but the concept fell foul of the legal team. It would have had to be like Blue Peter where all product names etc were blanked out. In the end it was not used in the series.

No , you'd only be up to your armpits in mud if you were lucky , or I'm sure you can work out the

worst case scenario , even all these years after your jaunt we still get people trying to do the same ,

they usually have to get rescued by the coastguards and hovercraft crews .

We did actually have the sense to turn back so no rescue was required.

• Like 2

But it shouldn't be on an advertisement on prime time TV when it is so very easy to pronounce it correctly. 

I agree completely.

But it is not a sufficiently important error to justify mentioning it on this Forum.

...R

• Administrators

In your opinion.

One opinion amongst many.

True. But we can bang on about it as much as we like and you know what difference it will make? None at all. It's been pointed out. It's wrong. It's not going to be fixed.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That is an American prototype, and as we know, they can't even spell or say aluminium properly. For dinosaurs, there is, of course, a British precedent:

Was that the one that "vanished" in the 1975 film "One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing"?

Joking aside, that film takes me back a bit.

Huw.

Although it's evident there was some evolution of the rules through the process it's probably fair to say that each of the teams taking part in any show would have been working to the same set of evolved rules. What may differ is the interpretation and exploitation of what was possible within that framework.

When Phil launched our cakebox challenge the first few days and weeks seem to be full of potential entrants looking if they could do x, y or z within the rules - and that was with the simplicity of a cakebox-sized 8" x 8" x 6" parameter. Imagine what it's like with a 10' x 5' layout with additional requirements.

If there was anything which materialised into a problem I am sure the production company will look at what rules and guidelines are set for a further series.

I think like other shows both the production teams and new competitors will learn from the first series, its in both interests for each team to have a working layout at the end of the time frame. I would imaging in certain areas more work would be done prior to filming, but purely to limit the size of pre-builds may exclude things like the excellent bridge structure on Friday nights show

I don't think much advertising will be required for teams to the next series, the difficulty will be in choosing which ones to pick,

I also think standards will improve mainly down to the benefit of seeing what works on TV, knowledge what the judges look for (not down to the quality of entrants modeling ability), amount of both pre planning and building, seeing what type of animations worked best on TV. Also I guess a longer lead time

However hats off to all those who participated in the first series, a new format of program without anything to guide them on what works and what standards were required, a big well done to one and all

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

True. But we can bang on about it as much as we like and you know what difference it will make? None at all. It's been pointed out. It's wrong. It's not going to be fixed.

Oh yes, that's certainly true, Phil and at the end of the day, I know that no one is going to do anything about that pronunciation.

But I do rail against unnecessarily abrasive and disrespectful statements such as 'get over it'. I know I'm not alone in wishing and end to such discourtesy.

Back to the scratchbult challenge and the goggles been puzzling why no one did anything with the frame as chopped up it would make a good wagon load of scrap metal.

Perhaps this is a measure of the resourcefulness of the contestants and their ability to 'think on their feet'.

I know I'd never have come up with your idea!

Back to the scratchbult challenge and the goggles been puzzling why no one did anything with the frame as chopped up it would make a good wagon load of scrap metal.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that they were swimming goggles,

and therefore they were elastic straps.

Good idea though!

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes, that's certainly true, Phil and at the end of the day, I know that no one is going to do anything about that pronunciation.

But I do rail against unnecessarily abrasive and disrespectful statements such as 'get over it'. I know I'm not alone in wishing and end to such discourtesy.

The trend to tell someone with whom you disagree to "get over it", or much, much worse, is a sad reflection of falling standards of respect for others and their lives. It is usually not done face to face; I wonder why?

Phil   

• Like 1

No doubt many of you have been watching this programme.  It was interesting to see the different approaches used by the teams on the nominated themes.  Because they are time limited on the construction of the layout there are a  couple of questions I would ask.  They are:

1.  Why bother to waste time modifying points when they can be used straight out of the box?

2.  Why have point motors which require to be screwed to the baseboard (one team did not have the right size screws)?  They could have used Peco points & their simple solenoids which attach directly to the points.

An excellent programme which shows what can be done with a dedicated team of modellers working to a deadline. The final is this Friday.  What I want to know is, where will the winning layout be exhibited?

Andy,

My apologies.  I did not realise there was a separate forum for DVD/Video/TV!.

Peter

• Like 1

1.  Why bother to waste time modifying points when they can be used straight out of the box?

2.  Why have point motors which require to be screwed to the baseboard (one team did not have the right size screws)?  They could have used Peco points & their simple solenoids which attach directly to the 

When on TV, many would want to be seem to be doing the best job possible & consider relying on point blades to be a bodge, not wanting to be seen doing it.

• Like 1

Next year we shall have Strictly Come Modelrailroading. That will be such fun, especially when they get to Blackpool. The viewers must have the final vote and fake tans should be applied by Airbrush only.

Looking at :-

A/   How popular the show is

B/   The increase in participation in ballroom dancing since the program started

C/   How the celebrities love being on it and take it far more seriously

Would be wonderful if our hobby could become more popular due to the show and competitors  

• Like 1