Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

Remove DC controllers.

Connect DCC to one of the previous DC inputs. Switch all sections to that controller input - job done.

(Although overheating wiring should be checked/replaced regardless of DC or DCC)

Overheated 1980's controllers. The wiring is fine. Thanks for the advice though. When I have a few thou spare I will probably invest in switching everything across.

You know you cannot understand my frustration here! Here you all are watching this program about our hobby. Some loving it, others less so and here is me unable to watch even on channel 5 reply via the internet!

Please channel 5, at least let us abroad see the program via the net. I will even promise to watch the adverts (especially if they are Bachmann and Hornby ones).

• RMweb Premium

You know what .....if it ain't broke don't fix it .  Why do we need to change anything for series 2?

Maybe there needs to be a clearer definition on what prebuilds are allowed . But while I initially didn't like the format , because it introduces an element of false competitiveness that really isn't there in model railways , it has to be said the format did work and was probably essential for the program.  Just like I believe there's no need for dinosaurs or sci fi to make model railways interesting, neither do we need celebrities .

It might be nice to see celebrities layouts , I've always wanted to see Rod Stewarts layout , but that's another program.

Lets stick with "Stern Steve Flint" and Kathy and avoid others muscling in. The judging seems to have been fair as most of us have agreed with the choices. Again why change it? 

BTW has anyone noticed that the track plans of the layouts shown at the beginning of each episode are all wrong? It's always the same layout that is displayed with the little crosses flashing randomly over it, regardless of which team's plans are being explained. There is always a wind turbine towards the bottom left. The track plans at the end, just before the demonstrations, seem to be correct. It's been bugging me since I first noticed it, and the same problem seems to crop up with every episode. I can't imagine why the production team would do that if it was not accidental, nor why it should keep repeating if it was? Apologies if this has already been spotted and commented on elsewhere ad nausiam - if so I missed that.

YES! We did notice this. I also noticed that at the end, on our layout anyway, they have used a still GoPro image (which was mounted on the lighting boom) and photoshopped (other programs are available!) into a "sketch" of the layout. You can see my MacBook and even the charge cable to it and from it to my iPhone! :) You can also see the Heljan Container Crane DCC Controller too!

I have two controllers on independent circuits with independent wiring to every baseboard so any track section can be switched across locally with a DPDT - but then I'm dc and it's all cheapo old stuff and regularly overheats. Not sure how this would be done if/when dcc.

Remove DC controllers.

Connect DCC to one of the previous DC inputs. Switch all sections to that controller input - job done.

(Although overheating wiring should be checked/replaced regardless of DC or DCC)

^^^ What he said... :)

Evidence?

The only time we've ever intervened here is when see posters make inappropriate sexist/racist/discriminatory posts or the opposite, making accusations of biased positive discrimination.

Examples

An online forum (not this current one)  which refused to show a request from an Afro-American railway modeller asking about numbers of british black/non white modellers participation

Letters which the above Afro-American sent to the main magazines with the same request - he was advised two were not received - fair enough - two were decided not to be suitable 

A representative of a scale-specific organisation who though it witty to make fun of Gay Joes.

A magazine who felt an article and photo feature of Jubilee class 45623 Palestine built by a muslim surgeon alongside LNWR 1325 Disraeli built by a Jewish pharmacist as "not appropriate content".

• RMweb Gold

You know what .....if it ain't broke don't fix it .  Why do we need to change anything for series 2?

I've been struggling to think of anything to change - except those flippin' annoying tannoy announcements.  By all means have something 'interesting' as time checks but please change this ;)

• RMweb Premium

I've been struggling to think of anything to change - except those flippin' annoying tannoy announcements.  By all means have something 'interesting' as time checks but please change this ;)

You're right . I forgot about them. They are a bit cringing!

I agree about not having children. It would make it a completely different programme, and greatly limit the scope of what could be achieved - pitching it as a train set programme rather than about model railways. How would one fairly judge a team of mostly children against one of mostly adults? The Railway Children team put up a really valiant effort and obviously had a great time but struggled due to inexperience - it was a relief to see theirs working at the end - and they were adults albeit young.

Whilst I understand the safeguarding and insurance issues for not having younger modellers on the programme - I do not agree with the above. In fact I suggest that the comments I have highlighted in bold are rather narrow minded and also are insulting to those youngsters who have a real interest in model railways. I find the term "train set" has been used as a degrading term, yet I am sure all modellers started with such - so what is wrong with that?

This almost smacks of the sort of "model railway snobbery" that the Missenden team were portrayed as having in the edit (we are better than the rules etc). Whilst you have, in the past, adequately and eloquently explained how the editing was perhaps unkind to the team - you have done yourself no favours with the comments above.

In my local model club, who are regular customers of mine, and have applied for series 2 - there is a 14 year old member who has constructed the best layout in the club - a wonderful RAF based shunting layout. Whilst, from a safeguarding point of view, he would be unable to compete in their team. Would it be right to ignore him because he can't be a good modeller because he is 14??

• Like 4

You're right . I forgot about them. They are a bit cringing!

It's the 'jokey' nasal tone of voice that really grates.

I also find that the ######-tonk piano music gets pretty annoying after a while.

And the excruciating puns cease to be amusing as they get more and more tortuous and laboured.  I like a good pun as much as the next man, but most of them just aren't good.  "Ship hot" was particularly poor IMO (IIRC the presenter who delivered that one was the taller, vaguely sensible one rather than the shorter Ron Manager one who is the usual culprit).

It feels as if the production company can't quite resist inserting subliminal cues to suggest that these "grown men playing with toy trains" are actually a bit ridiculous.

EDIT: Good grief!  RMWeb apparently believes that the commonly used name for ragtime-influenced piano music which emphasises rhythm over melody or harmony is in some way offensive.  Note that the etymology section of that article makes zero reference to the derogatory term for white people being an element of the term.

Edited by ejstubbs

The same doesn't seem to apply to the Lego programme just starting.  Several well-under 18's there.

Just because one programme allows under-18s mean they all can, or will. Including under-18s brings with it a number of additional requirements, including a need for parental agreement, additional insurance, additional H&S regulations, safeguarding regulations and a need to ensure that recording doesn't impinge on full time education. All of which costs extra money and makes things more complicated.

In some cases that may be justified, particularly for a show where including children is particularly relevant. As, indeed, it probably is in the case of Lego. But it probably isn't when dealing with a subject where you expect most of the participants to be adults. Especially when you're doing it on a tight budget to begin with as you don't know how popular the programme will be!

My sincerest hope is the teams continue to be modellers (not necessarily railway) and there is something in place to filter out any wannabes that are only after their 15 mins of fame. (see also just about every other "reality" show) Worse still would be a contrived team of vacuous morons only there to provide comic relief or drama. *

Then again a team of totally unlikable, unwashed, sock&sandal, miserable, luddite, curmudgeons might make a good pantomime villain team.  :no:  

* something like Team Hipster. <tongue fully in cheek, don't take this seriously>

Gerrald is a barber and will be styling the static grass.

Bjorn works as a barista and once rode a train to Hackney Downs. 

Dixie is a tattoo artist in Shoreditch and she is in charge of painting and weathering

Adley is the team leader as he works in IT (well a call centre supervisor)

Orlando spent 10 mins once repairing his fixie bike so everything mechanical falls to him

Saffron is the vegan yoga chef. Her job will be to keep the team motivated and fed. She has a large shoe collection so is hoping for a repeat of the scratchbuild challenge but with a 9" stiletto. 

The same doesn't seem to apply to the Lego programme just starting.  Several well-under 18's there.

That might be because it is a different programme.  The producers of that programme could have, you know, chosen to make the necessary arrangements to ensure that under-18s would be appropriately safeguarded?

Or, no, wait...maybe it was just 'elf'n'safety gorn maaad!

But I doubt it.

Youtube have now removed them all because of copyright. However, they can still be found elsewhere, I believe.

I watched episode 5 just yesterday on YouTube. I've also watched one through four.

This may be a regional restriction. In the US I am unable to use the Channel 5 site.

Having watched this series, initially with some scepticism, I have found the format generally predictable but good. The out takes to Fawley are minimal and fine by me. I think season 2 should benefit from lessons learned by the production crew and by observation of this season's models by next season's contestants. The fact that there is drama, whether inadvertent or 'created' is part of the standard format of pre-recorded and heavily edited reality shows. The judges are very good but maybe a third could be added to create some different discussion angles.

Looking forward to the final and well done to all who took part.