Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

I think it is a valid point that you do not need to spend a lot of money to build a layout that is interesting for the viewing public.

The scrapheap challenge provided inspiration for people to make scenic items without spending lots of money on the scenic items you can buy from shops.

• Like 2

It may cost a tenner to manufacture, it will have cost a lot more to design. I worked in software, and one problem was that customers frequently didn't understand why their one off bespoke application cost a lot more than Microsoft's offerings that sold millions.

R&D is often a major factor with many low volume items.

Computer software is a very good example. They take as much development to get right & bug-fix as a popular program but, because they sell in small quantities, the cost of this has to be shared across far less customers.

• Administrators

It was mentioned earlier all teams were given a Gaugemaster DC 4 track controller, if they wanted DCC they had to provide it themselves so no knowledge was needed.

Garry

And more recently that for the final, everyone was provided with a TouchCab DCC system.

The final is DCC. I wrote a set of instructions for all teams to fit a bus to their layout. My business, www.KMSRailtech.co.uk , supplied all the parts and the Aberdeen team prefabricated the busses for all teams. It was then operated using Aberdeen's Lenz sets and TouchCab. As far as I know, all wanted to use DCC anyway.

R&D is often a major factor with many low volume items.

Basic DCC chips have been around long enough for the R+D to be paid off. And there is plenty of OpenSource code for DCC.

And another business option is to spend less on R+D and just make a simpler product.

If there is to be another series of GMRC programs there should be scope within it to encourage low-cost  modelling so that potential newbies are not put off by the high cost.

...R

Edited by Robin2

• RMweb Gold

I suggest that the posters on here who are unimpressed with the production style of GMRC watch at least one round of the latest Lego challenge prog' on Ch 4 to see how lucky we have been. I watched it today on catch-up. A poor show in comparison with things imported from other shows, such as the cringing long pause "Strictly" style to announce the winner/loser. The nearest comparison to GMRC, it also had a theme to the round to encourage creativity with a build of a flat floor level for a tower block. The designs were hardly orthodox flats.

I quite like doing Lego with the grandkids, and thought it might give me some ideas for next time they are here with the Lego box out: sadly this programme didn't inspire and I won't bother to watch the rest of the series. My point is that if this deters someone already having a passing interest in Lego it may not (won't?) grip others.

The GMRC appears to have kept its viewers in comparison, well done Knickerbocker Glory.

I suggest that the posters on here who are unimpressed with the production style of GMRC watch at least one round of the latest Lego challenge prog' on Ch 4 to see how lucky we have been. I watched it today on catch-up. A poor show in comparison 

I totally agree. I watched it just for the comparison to GMRC. The C4 programme was quite patronising in places - just the kind of thing that some here on RMweb had been worried about before GMRC was screened - just the kind of patronising attitude that Knickerbocker TV has avoided to their great credit.

• Like 4

Very well.

But how do I garner support for encouraging lower cost modelling in the next series of the GMRC?

...R

Sound and light from an existing member of the team is a quick win. There is a budget but all teams wanted to stretch it! Was interesting that a lot went for the faller system as another quick win and can be set up as a pre build. We considered the boat option for waterworld but went for cheaper option of smoke generator in the scratchbulit tug which of course worked ore filming but not when filming!

Basic DCC chips have been around long enough for the R+D to be paid off. And there is plenty of OpenSource code for DCC.

And another business option is to spend less on R+D and just make a simpler product.

If there is to be another series of GMRC programs there should be scope within it to encourage low-cost  modelling so that potential newbies are not put off by the high cost.

...R

A basic chip is £20 or so. If it costs a tenner to manufacture then distribution and retailers' costs will add a tenner more. But I thought we were talking of more sophisticated Loksound chips.

• RMweb Gold

Very well.

But how do I garner support for encouraging lower cost modelling in the next series of the GMRC?

...R

Be pro-active with Knickerbocker Glory. Example contact the Model Railways on a Budget YouTube channel people and try to put a team in. if accepted stick to your own £? low budget irrespective of what the upper budget is.

Edited by john new
  • Like 3

You can always drop them an email rather than hijacking this topic.

I did not realize I was Off Topic. thought you created this Topic specifically for input about the competition. And, no, I won't say any more about "cheap".

...R

• Like 1

I've said it couple of times already somewhere on the 70 odd pages here,

I think it's a good programme, and certainly has the general public chatting away about it,

I've not heard anybody (outside the hobby) say's it's crup (give or take a vowel),

so all's good, being mindful of my place within the hobby  :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

OK - Lets kill all this talk about cheap v expensive products in model railways and related items.

Why?

It isn't relevant to the GMRC at all.

All the teams had the same budget, the same product list and it was up to each team to decide how to spend that budget.

All of the product lists were priced at the current retail for each item.

Thanks

• Like 1

• Administrators

I'm quite happy to stop talking about DCC prices. However if I have a couple of good ideas for layout designs for a new series, how could I advance them?

Set up a team and enter the competition. My understanding is that the layout design wasn't imposed on the teams by the production company. They were approved beforehand, but I doubt anyone said, "Never mind what you want to build guys, here's something someone e-mailed me. Do that."

• Like 1