Tolworth Showtrain Nov 10th & 11th

jonhall

November 10th & 11th
 Tolworth Recreation Centre
Fullers Way North, Tolworth, Surrey, KT6 7LQ.

Saturday 10th November 10.00am - 5.30pm
Sunday 11th November 10.00am - 5.00pm

Adults £7

Children £3 

Family (2+2) £15

SUNDAY SPECIAL one child free with every paying adult

Hampton Court Model Railway Society proudly presents annual show, Tolworth Showtrain on the 10th and 11th November 2018.

As is customary there will be a layout which our younger visitors can operate.

Large layouts are a feature of this Show, and we think that this years selection will not disappoint.

We also feature a large number of trade stands.

Exhibitors     Name Scale Gauge Location      

Bottle Kiln Lane 4mm 9 mm UK narrow gauge

Burshaw North Western 2mm 9mm BR LMR

Canada Street 4mm 18.2mm BR

Diano Marina 3.5mm 16.5mm Italian R

Edwards Junction & Thomas End 4mm 16.5mm Sodor

Foston Mills 7mm O NER

Friday Bridge 4mm 18mm Wisbeach & Upwell

Kirkmellington 4mm 18.2mm BR ScR

Lower Exbury 4mm 18.83mm BR SR

Mannin Middle 4mm 12mm IOM

Mers-les-Bains 1/32 32mm French NG

Newhurst 7mm O SR

Normandy Junction 7mm 32mm BR

Project Iraq 2003 1/35 16.5mm Iraq 2003

Pwllheli 4mm 18.2mm ATW

Roundtrees Sidings 4mm 18.2mm Tyne & Wear metro

St Mary's 7mm 16.5mm W & L GWR

St Merryn 4mm 18.83mm BR SR

The End of the Line 7mm O +NG Industrial

The Trench 4mm 9mm Western Front

Theobald's Yard 7mm 15.5/32mm British Industrial

Thorney Milk 7mm 32mm GWR

Trenches 4mm 9mm Western Front

Westcliff 4mm 18mm GWR 

Yewston Road 4mm 16.5mm BR LMR                

Demonstrators & Societies

Gauge O Guild   RCTS   Medway Queen Preservation Society   Geoff Ford Demonstration   Scenic Modelling   Soldering Tuition   Hampton Court Model Railway Society Club stand

Traders

Addlestone Model Centre Masterpiece Figures C&L Finescale Model Railway Developments Carriage & Wagon Models Models U Drive Ceynix Railway Trees Rail - Books.Co.uK Country Park Models Replica Railways Golden Arrow Productions Roxey Mouldings Harrison Brown Models Roxley Models [NEW]  Roy Allen Heritage In Motion   Steam Age JB's Model World [NEW] Sunningwell Command Control Ltd Kent Garden Railways Tools 2000 KS Laser Designs Ltd Videolines , Dingo Servo Mounts (a new exhibitor) and the South Western Circle.  

Edited by jonhall

• 2 weeks later...

Some additional news from TRC (that's the recreation centre used for Tolworth showtrain).

It appears that the cafe area has been cleared as part of a re-development of that part of site, and it's not instantly clear to me if there will be any full scale catering replacement in the new plan.

I understand for Showtrain weekend there will be a mobile catering van outside - I've no idea what sort of offering will be available, if you are fussy then bringing your own sandwiches might be a good idea. We will be putting as many chairs out around the centre as we can so there will be somewhere to sit, although I fear it probably won't be sitting at a table.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but forewarned is forearmed.

Jon 

Surbiton is on the mainline and is receiving a pretty reasonable service, our bus will connect with mainline trains there as usual, 

There is a page on the SouthWestern website that will show train times nearer the date, but based on next week there should be between 3 and 4 trains an hour stopping at Surbiton. https://www.southwesternrailway.com/plan-my-journey/rmt-industrial-action

he RMT have announced they are cancelling Industrial Action planned for Saturday 10 November, therefor a normal service will operate that day.

Jon

Edited by jonhall

Some additional news from TRC (that's the recreation centre used for Tolworth showtrain).

It appears that the cafe area has been cleared as part of a re-development of that part of site, and it's not instantly clear to me if there will be any full scale catering replacement in the new plan.

I understand for Showtrain weekend there will be a mobile catering van outside - I've no idea what sort of offering will be available, if you are fussy then bringing your own sandwiches might be a good idea. We will be putting as many chairs out around the centre as we can so there will be somewhere to sit, although I fear it probably won't be sitting at a table.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but forewarned is forearmed.

Jon

The owner's of the site seem to go out of their way to be uncooperative. How many other hires do they get apart from the MRS?

Actually very few (that need catering) I think that's part of the problem.

We were one of the first commercial weekend bookings and then over the last 20 odd years a regular antiques fair and computer fair have come and then gone again (and a couple of swapmeets that never really took off).

The way the recreation centre was originally funded the Girls School next door get exclusive use during the day, and its not quite in the right place for the evening gym bunnies to want a coffee afterwards. The hall do quite a good business doing large Indian weddings (or the receptions) but they are of course externally catered.

So its really a case of almost no business 51 weeks of the year, then more than  they know what to do with when we turn up.

Jon

The good news is that there is NO INDUSTRIAL ACTION on Saturday 10 November.

Bill

Beaten too it! he RMT have announced they are cancelling Industrial Action planned for Saturday 10 November, therefor a normal service will operate that day.

Jon

Bus link times 

BUS TIMETABLE 
                    SATURDAY                                   Surbiton Station Stop NN

d

09:45
10:10
10:40
11:10
11:40
12:10
12:40
  Tolworth Rec. Centre a
09:55
10:20
10:50
11:20
11:50
12:20
12:50
  d

10:25
10:55
11:25
11:55
12:25
12:55
Surbiton Station Stop NN a

10:35
11:05
11:35
12:05
12:35
13:05

Surbiton Station Stop NN

d

13:55
14:25
14:55
15:25
15:55
16:25

Tolworth Rec. Centre a
14:05
14:35
15:05
15:35
16:05
16:35

d
14:10
14:40
15:10
15:40
16:10
16:40
17:20
14:20
14:50
15:20
15:50
16:20
16:50
17:30

SUNDAY  

Surbiton Station Stop NN

d

09:55
10:25
10:55
11:25
11:55
12:25

Tolworth Rec. Centre a
10:05
10:35
11:05
11:35
12:05
12:35

d

11:10
11:40
12:10
12:40

11:20
11:50
12:20
12:50

Surbiton Station Stop NN

d

13:40
14:10
14:40
15:10
15:40
16:10

Tolworth Rec. Centre a
13:50
14:20
14:50
15:20
15:50
16:20

d
13:55
14:25
14:55
15:25
15:55
16:25
17:05
14:05
14:35
15:05
15:35
16:05
16:35
17:15

At Surbiton station, buses leave Bus Stop NN. Turn right from the Main Station Forecourt into St Marks Hill.

Note:-  Whilst every effort will be made to maintain this timetable, delays may be incurred due to traffic conditions which will affect timekeeping. In the case of extreme late running a service may be cancelled to restore the timetable.

hmm not sure what happened to the formatting - probably best to go to http://tolworthshowtrain.co.uk/showtrain/showtrain%202018.html and see it there!

Jon

We'll be packing up 'Trenches' tonight for it's journey from Helensburgh to Tolworth. A couple of little improvements finished off for this show. We're all looking forward to the weekend, see you there!

Scott

• Like 1

Oh, at least we won't have to eat our lunches outside the smelly toilets, as is normal at this show.

Terry

Terry, If you had used the cafe last year, you would not have had to either, because as I recall back then it was still  fully functional, however I have no idea what is available this year, because its being redeveloped.

HCMRS don't do toilets or catering, we organise a model railway show. Is TRC the best venue in the world? - no. is it the best venue in the area? well it might be in the top ten only because of lack of competition. Is it the best compromise between facilities we want, need and can afford? - Yes.

Jon

• Like 1

Just got back from the exhibition. The layouts are generally superb; really good, often enough outstanding. But on the other hand the trade is pretty poor with far too many tat shifters and not enough finescale traders. Pity really.

We have both the elusive C&L finescale, and Roxey selling the difficult to obtain direct Markits range, but the difficulty is most of the finescale trade are cutting back their exhibition attendance - not least because the internet will bring them sales without leaving the house, and we are usually in competition with Hull and Spalding who also want to attract top quality trade.

The catering with a Fish & Chip van outside and seating in the old cafe area worked surprisingly well - at least until the van ran out of gas so couldn't fry, then milk so couldn't do tea or coffee either - both were resolved quite quickly as I understand, but I guess it indicates demand was better then they expected, which is probably a good thing.

Jon

I attended yesterday.  The shuttle bus worked well and the new layby was a good investment by somebody.  I brought my own catering - rolls, filled with cheese'n'pickle and ham'n'pickle - but was grateful for the chip van dispensing tea.

It is hard to recall another show in which so many of my favourite layouts were gathered under one roof!   You're dying to know what they are, I can tell.   In strict programme order:

* The End of the Line - lots of action to enthrall the kids, which it did in spades, and a link with the Clarendon crew which I had not twigged previously

* Friday Bridge - Dave Tailby's exquisite take on the Wisbech and Upwell in its latter days

* Roundtrees Sidings - Tyne and Wear Metro themed essay.spawned by a DEMU challenge which surprisingly it did not win

* Canada Street - Peter Johnson's dockside project where the right-angled bend that I loathe on so many other layouts is absolutely right for the situation, and with other touches that are a bit more than nice

* St Merryn - Possibly the finest ambassador for P4 on the circuit, positively dripping North Cornwall

* Westcliff - Richard Butler's take on what Bridport West Bay might have become, with its hallmark cliffs and beach, the gentle curve that would never have occurred to many builders and on this occasion the GWR 4-4-2 inspired by the De Glehn compounds

* Pwllheli - Jonathan Buckie's interpretation of the Cambrian in modern times which looks better every time I see it.  You can't rush craftsmanship

* Lower Exbury - created by Jo Palmer, now in the care of Alison Barker and still featuring that genius touch, the landing craft

* Kirkmellington - Ayrshire coalfield brought back to life and worthy of a better pitch in the show than the one it was given

There were other good layouts there too, naturally, but those listed above are some of the many that I have come to know and admire over the years.

As for trade, I tend not to expect too much in the way of finescale supplies from this show.  What does it for me is the bric-a-brac stall hosted by Terry Cole of Steam Age.  I have found in the past that it is well worth paying more than one visit to this stand simply because some of the goodies only become visible when what is on top of them has been purchased and removed.  Sooner or later Terry will retire.   You won't know what you've got till it's gone.

Chris

• Like 4

Just come back from the exhibition- one of the best I've been to anywhere.  There was an excellent selection of layouts and a good selection of traders.  The biggest, and best, surprise was the substitution of the USA layouts in the end hall by a superb O-scale layout.  Well done Hampton Court Model Railway Society.

Peterfgf

• RMweb Premium

As for trade, I tend not to expect too much in the way of finescale supplies from this show.  What does it for me is the bric-a-brac stall hosted by Terry Cole of Steam Age.  I have found in the past that it is well worth paying more than one visit to this stand simply because some of the goodies only become visible when what is on top of them has been purchased and removed.  Sooner or later Terry will retire.   You won't know what you've got till it's gone.

Chris

Terry was supposedly retiring perhaps 18 months - 2 years ago.  Either he's finding it hard, or he has a lot of stocks to clear....