Vintage Steam Railcar

A later L&NWR open-balcony saloon (a 6-wheeler) probably used by the Northampton district engineer survives - see http://www.preservation.kesr.org.uk/coaching-stock/l-nwr

That is the one produced as a 4mm kit by LRM. Four were built and one was also in Longmoor Military Railway ownership for a time, in blue livery. More details are on the LRM website.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That is the one produced as a 4mm kit by LRM. Four were built and one was also in Longmoor Military Railway ownership for a time, in blue livery. More details are on the LRM website.

The one survivor now on the K&ES is the one that was at Longmoor.

Depending upon direction of travel (i) streamlining to cut down wind resistance and (ii) a spoiler to provide vital down force when cornering at speed.

Or possibly it provides an aerofoil section to provide lift and reduce the axle loading at speed, Something Bulleid could have provided on one side of the "Leader" to offset the effect of the offset boiler?

Edited by DavidCBroad

post-7832-0-52344500-1539932789.jpgpost-7832-0-08699600-1539932821.jpgA couple more photos of the NBR No 312 Inspectors loco. Most of the build was done on my portable workshop while caravanning in the Queensland Outback and not many construction photos were taken. However if you are building one of these, note that the motor is mounted vertically inside the firebox., and you can use 4mm scale plunger pickups.

Kerry 

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Many thanks for the suggestions in identifying the inspection saloon in the photo at the beginning of this topic. I have spent some time following them up , searching UK bookshops internet sites and my own bookshelf. The result is....

post-7832-0-16920500-1540017645_thumb.jpg

I have looked for construction information on tackling the sloping smokebox. One suggestion is to make a dummy unit from card with a template made from stiff paper. Other suggestions are welcome.

I have no dimentions on the loco so hopefully I can work that out in Inkscape, knowing that the wheel base of the small unit is 21 ft and that of the large saloon is 30ft.

Beside Locomotion,other locos were used namely Crewe built No 1834 , and Columbine

Kerry

• Like 4

Many thanks for the suggestions in identifying the inspection saloon in the photo at the beginning of this topic. I have spent some time following them up , searching UK bookshops internet sites and my own bookshelf. The result is....

attachicon.gifLNWR Inspection saloons .jpg

I have looked for construction information on tackling the sloping smokebox. One suggestion is to make a dummy unit from card with a template made from stiff paper. Other suggestions are welcome.

I have no dimentions on the loco so hopefully I can work that out in Inkscape, knowing that the wheel base of the small unit is 21 ft and that of the large saloon is 30ft.

Beside Locomotion,other locos were used namely Crewe built No 1834 , and Columbine

Kerry

I think it would be only fair to include that the above drawings are from Oakwood Press's British Steam Railcars by R.W.Rush. Also that the dimensions given by Rattler appear to be the vehicle body lengths, the wheelbases are more like 13ft and 20ft respectively going by the scale given.

The earlier LNWR six wheel carriages were 32' long and had either 20' or 21' overall wheelbase. Form the drawing I would therefore suspect that the modified saloon had a 20' wheelbase underframe.

Later six wheel stock were 30' 1" long, again with 20' WB. Scaling the drawing (naughty!) would give 20' WB and a body length of about 30' 3", nearer to the 30' 1" standard size. Although that isn't guaranteed it is possible the LNWR used a standard 30'1" underframe for the extended saloon.

I was being nice. When I started off manufacturing wagons we used the Furness Rush book and it cost me a lost as the wagons were wrong and I had to start again. But there are people who swear by them and won't have anything bad said about them

Marc

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Identifying the loco should help. The nearest I could initially find is the GCR Parker E2. Outside frames on both loco and tender, but the E2 photos I found show only one loco front axle spring above the footplate and none above the tender platform. But a bit more digging showed up a GCR Sacre 2-4-0;

https://www.lner.info/locos/E/gcr_12A.php

Would the lining on the tender and the darck livery of the saloon match the GCR in late Victorian period?

• Like 1

Just found this, so sorry for the late posting.

I wonder if this one might be Irish broad gauge. Putting the W irons of coaching stock on the outside of the frames is typical of Irish practice. The loco's frames look a bit wide in relation to the cab and boiler too. Maybe a Beyer Peacock 2-4-0?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

mvrattler, the loco with the inspection saloon is a East Lancashire Railway No 640 Fire King. The engine was built by Walker Brothers of Bury in May 1849 and was rebuilt with a cab in 1870. The photograph was taken at Horwich during an inspirational inspection of the unfinished works.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 8 months later...

Having started this thread with my enquiry on the photo, I have risen to the challenge and scratchbuilt my first pre-grouping loco and only the second loco built from a drawing. Mind you the sloping smokebox was quite an exercise to achieve. But i am pleased with it. The salon sides have been cast in polyeurethene and , obtaining some suitable W irons will continue the build after I return from Telford

Inspection Crewe pic 2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6