Best power supply for Tortoise point motors

paulontheball

Hi,

I have a new layout which launched onto the exhibition circuit recently. The layout has 14 points plus a double slip and uses 16 Tortoise slow motion motors to switch those.

I've been using a secondhand psu previously used for charging some gadget (can't remember what to be honest) to power the motors and it's worked fine but at its initial outing I found the connection from psu to control panel to be a little intermittent.

Simple solution is to just cut off the original connector and replace that but it got me thinking that I need this to be reliable as it's an exhibition layout and I should really have a half decent psu (and connector!) rather than just using somthing that I had laying around at the time.

Can anybody recommend a decent psu that will be uber reliable and thinking about it, maybe even have a little extra capacity for expansion to possibly feed other accessories please?

Thank you in advance

Hi,

I use a regulated 12v DC power supply @ 1A. As I'm in NZ it is not useful to provide a local supplier but I did look at using a wall wart from some long lost / binned bit of electronics but found the voltage regulation was appalling (was nominally 9v but on my meter was reading 13 odd volts). I scrapped that idea and bought a proper regulated power supply. Rock solid 12v.

Thanks,

Edmund

For Tortoises I would use a regulated 12 volt DC power supply with around 1.0Amp (1000 milliamp) rating or greater current.  500ma PSU can be used but you can double the available current 500ma to 1000ma or even higher ma for about the same price and possibly use it then to feed other items as well?

For Cobalts (Analogue) older versions not ip I've found 9volts regulated power supply to be ideal. Newer ip versions should be happy on 12volt regulated. Again selecting 1.0Amp or greater output.  Using a 1.0Amp PSU gives plenty of scope for future expansion.

Note; the 'Regulated' in all recommendations.  This means the voltage is held constant regardless of loading (up to the maximum rated)

eBay is a good place to buy and I look for CCTV PSU for 12 volts and generally search for 9volt regulated for this lower voltage or use a version with variable regulated output 

Assuming the power supply has a 2.1mm DC plug fitted (Check spec information) then an in-line or panel mount connector is idea to use to save cutting off the moulded DC plug Examples ...  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-5mm-x-2-1mm-12V-DC-Power-DC-Female-Plug-Jack-Adapter-Connector-for-CCTV-Camera/152915998509?epid=1794454905&hash=item239a80f72d:m:m85xentr6rYg2eVhG0KVv1g   

Or  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-Power-Jack-Socket-Female-Panel-Mount-Connector-5-5-mm-x-2-1-mm/273170932486?hash=item3f9a41a306:m:mcufz__ZGaSFHrXWYzMJCvA

If 2.5mm then, examples...  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5MM-X-5-5MM-PANEL-CHASSIS-MOUNT-DC-SOCKET-CHARGER-POWER-JACK-PLUG-SMALL/321167655243?hash=item4ac715814b:m:m1CwYn61efNCNEA2H2sdK3Q

Or  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5mm-x-5-5mm-Power-Socket-DC-Connector/142123538134?hash=item21173916d6:m:mErSQNNiP4LA54-hZoL3jCg

These are examples and of course other suppliers sell them another example  https://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=225_232

Edited by Brian

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Premium

Cobalts also need a similar regulated smooth supply - don't ask me how I found out - and I settled on a wall mounted unit from Gaugemaster. I think it was their WM2

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GMC-WM2&style=&strType=&Mcode=Gaugemaster+GMC%2DWM2

They were noisy and unreliable? Devices like this definitely need a Regulated power supply. Only trouble without one.

Hi,

I use a regulated 12v DC power supply @ 1A. As I'm in NZ it is not useful to provide a local supplier but I did look at using a wall wart from some long lost / binned bit of electronics but found the voltage regulation was appalling (was nominally 9v but on my meter was reading 13 odd volts). I scrapped that idea and bought a proper regulated power supply. Rock solid 12v.

Thanks,

Edmund

I do exactly the same and it is reliable for exhibitions

John

• 2 weeks later...

Great, thanks for the useful advice Gents,

I hadn't realised the importance for a regulated and smoother PSU, I've just been using an old (and cheap) 12v charger supply! - wonder if that's my tortoise motors are quite noisy?!

Now have a good idea of what to look for

Thanks all,

Regards

Paul

Great, thanks for the useful advice Gents,

I hadn't realised the importance for a regulated and smoother PSU, I've just been using an old (and cheap) 12v charger supply! - wonder if that's my tortoise motors are quite noisy?!

Now have a good idea of what to look for

Thanks all,

Regards

Paul

Quite likely the power supply is an issue there. My Tortioses are screwed solidly to the underside of a 9mm baseboard top and when they move there is a whirring sound, but by no means would I call the sound noisy.

Have a look at CPC (a division of Farnell) for power supplies. A quick search found quite a range. https://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=plug%20supply%20plug%20in

Hope that helps

John

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I have a new layout which launched onto the exhibition circuit recently. The layout has 14 points plus a double slip and uses 16 Tortoise slow motion motors to switch those.

I've been using a secondhand psu previously used for charging some gadget (can't remember what to be honest) to power the motors and it's worked fine but at its initial outing I found the connection from psu to control panel to be a little intermittent.

Simple solution is to just cut off the original connector and replace that but it got me thinking that I need this to be reliable as it's an exhibition layout and I should really have a half decent psu (and connector!) rather than just using somthing that I had laying around at the time.

Can anybody recommend a decent psu that will be uber reliable and thinking about it, maybe even have a little extra capacity for expansion to possibly feed other accessories please?

Thank you in advance

Hi Paul - I too have a new layout building with Code 75 and Electro-frogs. I have followed DCC Concepts advice and removed the over-centre springs on all the normal turnouts but I am not sure what to do on the Double Slip. I have contacted Peco Technical Bureau but their "expert is away at the moment! Have you removed the springs from your turnouts?

Thanks in advance.