Where to go now Maplin has dissappeared

paulontheball

Any recommendations for a source of multi pin connectors now that Maplins have dissappeared?

The use is for signal control, powering uncouplers, powering building lighting, point motor power etc but not the main power feed to the track (that's direct from a separate DCC bus), basically everything else.

Reliability and quality are important as they will be used on an exhibition layout.

Thank you in advance

• RMweb Gold

Farnell. For Reliability, Quality and Service.

https://uk.farnell.com/

They are not more expensive once you have sorted out the tatt and rubbish that is offered up with (some) cheaper suppliers.

(No connection other than being a happy customer.)

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Reliability and quality are important as they will be used on an exhibition layout.

Can't be a club layout then. .  . 

This better be a GN* inspired layout, not another of your Midland ones. . . .(*Sandy & Potton are the exception to that rule)...

I know Maplins were more expensive than the like of RS, Farnell, etc but I did appreciate being able to pop in to my local shop for the odd thing or two and come out with much more stuff that I hadn’t realised I desparately needed.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

its no wonder maplins folded needed some bi colour leds got 100 off ebay  for  £3.61 free post 

i then realized i had ordered the wrong type 

ordered the right ones 100 £1.90 again free post 

how can anyone compete with those prices 

Don't know if or how this might affect the UK or ROW, but there is a UN treaty that allows developing nations to mail small packages at very low rates to developed nations. China is a developing nation for that treaty.

The current US administration is saying that China should now be excluded. I've no idea what this might mean in the longer term. It's just information (i.e, please don't shoot the messenger) :)

• RMweb Premium

I know Maplins were more expensive than the like of RS, Farnell, etc but I did appreciate being able to pop in to my local shop for the odd thing or two and come out with much more stuff that I hadn’t realised I desparately needed.

Rob

I do think that this is the biggest downside to online shopping. The loss of easy browsing around bits you might not have known existed until you saw them and realised what use they may be to you, perhaps not even for their main intended use. Shame they have gone, I found them very useful and certainly bought stuff I doubt I would have otherwise.

Izzy

I do think that this is the biggest downside to online shopping. The loss of easy browsing around bits you might not have known existed until you saw them and realised what use they may be to you, perhaps not even for their main intended use. Shame they have gone, I found them very useful and certainly bought stuff I doubt I would have otherwise.

Izzy

I found maplin largely useless and vastly overpriced. I can browse much faster on the internet anyway