Albannach

• 3 weeks later...

They are finished and the garage (playroom :)) is nearly back to normal again.

Unfortunately the original information was incorrect as they told me the cast pipe coming up through the garage floor would need to be removed as the new plastic pipe would not pass through so I dismantled part of the layout to give them room and fitted dust covers over everything as concrete dust gets everywhere, as it happened it was not an elbow but a swept bend and the new pipe went it without any problems, still better safe than sorry I suppose.

Having been totally unsuccessful in locating numbers for a couple of ex LMS coaches I have to build that were allocated to the Scottish region I purchased the two publications dedicated to all pre-nationalisation coaching stock taken over by British Railways.

They are certainly very large comprehensive books and I found my coach numbers no problem, unfortunately I had wrongly numbered my ex LNER coach (genuine enough number but wrong regional allocation) so I changed that to an ScR number appropriate for a late build with an angle iron underframe.

P9090002.JPG.467ed79628554cb2bf3a9fd1737b6496.JPG

Contrary to how it must sound I am not really that bad, I just believe that when making something myself it's worth trying to try and get it right if possible, and once I knew for sure that the number was wrong I felt the need to correct it. :rolleyes:

Stay safe.

regards

Stewart

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Late 50s again, DMUs just introduced on the line but whiskers not yet applied by the allocated shed, still plenty of unfitted goods stock in use.

(the J36 currently under construction for this period was an unfitted loco, in use until 1961)

Porter considering loading parcels after a comment from the Station Master regarding the time and the wee dug is ready to go but its owners are enjoying the fresh air so not thinking about boarding just yet.

Photos can be terrible sometimes, that lamp post looks at an angle but it's not (honest :)), perhaps I need new specs!!

PA140018.JPG.26265fe8e58dc264d42a8013c03bb386.JPG

Stay safe.

Regards

Stewart

Edited by 45157
incomplete information
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely lovely layout; you have captured the atmosphere of the out of the way station beautifully.

And by the way, I get totally why you renumbered the coach (your post from Sept 26). One of the reasons the hobby is important to me is that I can go at my own speed, to the level of detail that I want to go to and (unlike the rest of life) there is no pressure to cut corners to get it done...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hope AY doesn't mind this self promotion. Just a quick note. If you were reasonably happy with the GNSR van, I also produce the North British 6 wheel van, both in its rigid and its earlier flexible wheelbase version, although due to family health problems and a house move from Derby to Porthmadog I've rather run down my stocks (which were never great!) of everything I produce but am slowly getting back up to speed. There are 8 Scottish vehicles on my Standard Gauge list of 9 vehicles, I just need to restock on my out sourced parts, buffers and axleguard/axle boxes, for them and they should all be available again over the next month or two. 

Phil Traxson

Port Wynnstay Models

• Informative/Useful 1

On 06/11/2020 at 17:16, Phil Traxson said:

Hope AY doesn't mind this self promotion. Just a quick note. If you were reasonably happy with the GNSR van, I also produce the North British 6 wheel van, both in its rigid and its earlier flexible wheelbase version, although due to family health problems and a house move from Derby to Porthmadog I've rather run down my stocks (which were never great!) of everything I produce but am slowly getting back up to speed. There are 8 Scottish vehicles on my Standard Gauge list of 9 vehicles, I just need to restock on my out sourced parts, buffers and axleguard/axle boxes, for them and they should all be available again over the next month or two. 

Phil Traxson

Port Wynnstay Models

Hi Phil

Yes I was indeed happy with the van, and I have two of them, which I purchased from you at an exhibition many years ago, one running (at the time I could only find one photo in BR livery) and one grounded in the goods yard.

I don't think I have ever built a kit without making some additions/changes which is not normally a reflection on the kit, just personal choice as my "layout" is so small I can indulge myself in the little details on rolling stock.

I sort of guessed this something like this would come up as earlier this year I finished a scratch build of the NB 6 wheel van to a drawing and photo of one in the excellent LNER Scottish Area wagons book by Peter Tatlow, again the only photo of one in BR livery. :rolleyes:

NB-6wheel.jpg.41dcb0f66d826c2afb63488044e80eb4.jpg

I will be very interested in hearing about your full range of wagons when you get yourself settled and restocked.

Stay Safe

Stewart

A slight change in height for the backscene which, apart from the shadow of the tree (need to think about proper lighting now :mellow:) I think is a bit better.

The local Laird keeps a small herd of Unicorns and this young one is going to a show in Aberdeen later, so the family are parking the road vehicles before leading it round to the platform (young ones don't react well to strangers) and supervising the loading of the horse box.

Note how clean the cattle pen itself is, the junior Porter was tasked with the job and has even laid some fresh straw, but, has not yet moved the barrow of muck, so will get into trouble for that.

The horse box is in the area for a racing friend of the Laird so has been "borrowed" for the day.

PA300005.JPG.ed8453b36c9e9dcdb7f65b21bc77b510.JPG

Stay safe.

Stewart

• Like 11

Much as I try not to I often suffer from the very annoying "if all else fails read the instructions" syndrome and such was the case when I came to fix the new backscene.

I was obviously too keen to see what it looked like behind the layout and did not look carefully enough at the pictures because as soon as I tried to line up the two halves I realised I had them the wrong way round. :rolleyes:

As the saying goes (polite version) "No point in being a fool if nobody knows"

Anyway, the derelict out buildings are fairly typical of the era and it works better at the bridge end where the tree line now vanishes behind the hill and the road.

The trees and hedges are quite a good match with the layout so I might add a couple of slightly lighter patches of grass on the layout area to blend better with the backscene grass.

PA310001.JPG.85c7a543dbdbf958abf1bd41ee93a508.JPG

PA310002.JPG.2ff991179b0aee47d2c23856dde8f695.JPG

Stay safe.

Stewart

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

The J36 was having a potter round in etch primer to make sure everything was ok before top coats, numbering and adding all the finishing touches, plus the bits that make taking it apart again for adjustment a nuisance. (heat shrink crank pin "nuts" are very handy :))

The tender weather board and patch on the side are not part of the kit but are correct for the loco modelled in 1950s condition.

Nov-3.jpg.e9a3c71067464e4409d7f0e56214a7c7.jpg

Stay safe.

Stewart

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

J36 finished but not weathered.

The story ... :)

On a running in turn with a grain delivery to a nearby Distillery complete and waiting as the sun goes down for a clear road home with the brake van.

J36.JPG.2ec22a0b40ab2fcc95d5297339476460.JPG

Regards

Stewart

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

The J36 has been back on the workbench for a bit of weathering (used but not filthy) and since I have been so impressed with YouChoos and Zimo chips a Zimo sound card and stay alive.

Superb running and now that I am getting used to it and adjusting it to suit, superb sound which has improved the whole "driving" experience.

P1160007.JPG.d92a7b14de499b29095d72f87478b2f2.JPG

The additional 80s era begins with the long awaited arrival of my pre-ordered 37/4.

DC only at the moment and once I have stopped playing, it will visit the workbench for a sound card and be "customised" to become 37402 from Eastfield.

The Station Master is impressed as he has not seen anything that clean in a long time. :D

Next thing is to find some suitable stock and I am surprised how little seems to be available in 7mm for the 80s/90s era.

P2180004.JPG.dde796af88e1b4ae709c26b9302167f5.JPG

Regards

Stewart

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
On 09/03/2021 at 16:19, 45157 said:

The J36 has been back on the workbench for a bit of weathering (used but not filthy) and since I have been so impressed with YouChoos and Zimo chips a Zimo sound card and stay alive.

Superb running and now that I am getting used to it and adjusting it to suit, superb sound which has improved the whole "driving" experience.

P1160007.JPG.d92a7b14de499b29095d72f87478b2f2.JPG

The additional 80s era begins with the long awaited arrival of my pre-ordered 37/4.

DC only at the moment and once I have stopped playing, it will visit the workbench for a sound card and be "customised" to become 37402 from Eastfield.

The Station Master is impressed as he has not seen anything that clean in a long time. :D

Next thing is to find some suitable stock and I am surprised how little seems to be available in 7mm for the 80s/90s era.

P2180004.JPG.dde796af88e1b4ae709c26b9302167f5.JPG

Regards

Stewart

Loving that LL 37/4 :yes: Got one heading my way next month too...

Look forward to see this era on this superb layout.

Bring on the blue/grey stock! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well it's taken me long enough to get to this stage after a lot of internet searching and a few new books of my own.

Being mainly a steam modeller of the 1950s and 1960s I had no idea how much the Class 37/4s differed (even the number of lamp irons vary) so accepting the basic Heljan model this is 37402 only in 1986 "ish"

Regarding weathering, I have "put the brush down" now and will leave the bodywork clean while I peruse more photos as I think it still needs a little more top and bottom of the sides.

As with the J36 I took advice from YouChoos regarding DCC sound (I removed one of the motors as I don't need the power) and am very pleased with the results, big, noisy and fun to drive plus I can now control the roof fan independently of loco movement and switch off the rear lights when pulling a train.

Some suitable stock next I think, so that I can pull a train or two.  :D

P4180009.JPG.63138da6a1859f5ca1e309c991b85f17.JPG

P4180006.JPG.755fe171970080174556ca1ee65aed65.JPG

P4180002.JPG.fd43563a50cf6c02ee4cce8bc254d9b6.JPG

Oor-Wullie.jpg.e472b3cb17db1ab0d2e81d1ad8067b37.jpg For those who don't know him "Oor Wullie" is a cartoon of a Glasgow boy in the Sunday Post Newspaper.

regards

Stewart

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Snap! I got mine two weeks ago :D

Lovely model indeed…and with sound even better.

They did get pretty grubby especially the roof so you can add a bit more all over - best to work from a pic as you say.

Tower Models have just got in a new batch of Dapol Mk I’s in blue/grey should you wish something suitable for it to couple up to Stewart.

Looks very at home on your superb layout :good:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bcnPete said:

Snap! I got mine two weeks ago :D

Lovely model indeed…and with sound even better.

They did get pretty grubby especially the roof so you can add a bit more all over - best to work from a pic as you say.

Tower Models have just got in a new batch of Dapol Mk I’s in blue/grey should you wish something suitable for it to couple up to Stewart.

Looks very at home on your superb layout :good:

Thanks for the comments, I do appreciate them.

I had intended to go for the Dapol Mk.1s but as far as I can see they are only doing the early version at the moment, before the window frames were added to help cure the rot, and wasn't sure if they would have made it into the Blue/Grey livery and still been usable by the mid 1980s unmodified, so doing a bit more research.

A bit fussy I know but with such a small layout everything is so close up and noticeable, probably have to go for a kit.

Regards

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 45157 said:

Thanks for the comments, I do appreciate them.

I had intended to go for the Dapol Mk.1s but as far as I can see they are only doing the early version at the moment, before the window frames were added to help cure the rot, and wasn't sure if they would have made it into the Blue/Grey livery and still been usable by the mid 1980s unmodified, so doing a bit more research.

A bit fussy I know but with such a small layout everything is so close up and noticeable, probably have to go for a kit.

Regards

Stewart

Blimey :O Didn’t think to even check that!

Am still a 7mm newbie so need time to adjust to things from 2mmFS where that level of detail not so scrutinised!

Need to reattach those pesky chains which seemed to have detached from the bogies - jewellers headset required for that…

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...

Last train leaving Albannach Station.

IMG_1171.JPG.afc35a927ad5605a8f67a818fc27cf9a.JPG

Building work required in the garage so layout and all content has had to be removed.

The layout was never intended to be moved around (too heavy and awkward) so it was decided to just dismantle it and start something new when builder is finished.

Bye for now.

IMG_1189.JPG.667f77fe178956fe907235cc17484153.JPG

regards

Stewart

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• 1 year later...

Railway modelling interest totally vanished after the garage work was completed, fortunately I also enjoy building 1:12 scale MotoGP Bikes and 1:20 scale pre 2000 F1 cars so the workbench has remained active.

I have recently had a bit of a revival in railway modelling interest but in 4mm, not 7mm and have decided to build a small representation of a loco shed to house a collection of locomotives I actually saw working in the 1950s and 60s and a small diarama in 7mm to house a halt I built (a reasonably accurate model of Bridgefoot Halt on the ex GNSR).

Five locos now in stock awating re naming/numbering and detailing, baseboards on order and the latest version of Templot loaded on the new laptop, just got to finish a 1:12 scale Honda RC166 250cc six cylinder racer from the 1960s first to clear the work bench.

regards

Stewart

• Like 6