I have x4 Sprinters that I use on Wyvern Road:-

The London Midland 170 forms the Birmingham to Hereford service.

The Arriva Trains Wales 150 forms the Gloucester to Cardiff Central

The First Great Western 166 does the Oxford to Hereford.

and finally the SouthWest Trains 158 or 159 (on hire to FGW) Great Malvern to Brighton.

These add some colour to the stock rota.

In last weeks video 3 of the 4 sprinters are in action.

Edited by Melangoose
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Going slightly off topic a little. Yesterday before I started work I visited Fairwood Junction to the west of Westbury (this is where the station avoiding line joins with the line from Westbury towards Castle Cary and the Mendip Quarries). Being the last week of the mainline HST’s and only x3 diagrams in operation (which all pass within an hour). It is a very busy location with a great mix of trains to be seen (I was there for 90 minutes and have 9 minutes of filming), Result

Saturday is the last day of the HST’s into Paddington and along the mainline, but after that we will have the “Fun Size” sets between Penzance and Cardiff.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

No progress on the layout at the moment. Have been going Through my collection and selling the stock I no longer require. I did have this 1990’s Steel train doing a few laps (the wagons are 25 + years old) did bring back a few memories of that era

A586117A-D9BE-4B7B-8239-710FED41A17F.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Had our annual Rmwebber’s day out today, we got a GWR IEP to Hereford (to go to the Model Centre), then we moved onto Newport to sample a Fun Size GWR HST. At Cardiff we got on 37418 on a Loco Hauled to Caerphilly (for some Fish and Chips), and then back home on a 158. Great day out with great company. Roll on Next year.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

Looks like a good day out Nigel. Some nice video too. Newport has changed a bit since I was there looks like an extra platform. 

I bet the class 37/4 was a nice bit of thrash. Do they run round each end I noticed it wasn't a top and tail set up like out on the Norwich trains.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Pete,

Newport is very different these days, many more passenger trains than in the 1980’s/90’s. Shame that there is no longer the loco sidings at Godfrey Road. Still good with Freight, we were there for 45 minutes and saw x4 freight trains.

Of the x2 loco Hauled Rhymney Trains, one was top and tailed (but was used for crew  training earlier in the day). Great to sample and the noise is the best sound known to an enthusiast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just found this topic - it’s looking great. I have always thought Hereford would make a great model, especially in the 1980/90s when the yard was open and traffic from Bulmers, Pontrillas and MoD Moreton could be seen. You’ve really caught the essence of the modern scene in the area. 

• 2 months later...

It’s been nearly a year since the track work was completed on Wyvern Road, and being in a roof space I wanted to see how it fared in the hot summer weather. But I have to say that I have fallen into the trap of just running trains. It’s just so much fun to operate my stock and I can soon lose myself for a couple of hours.
I have tweaked the tracks in a couple of places, one such is the lifting board. HST’s would occasionally derail here (just a random coach), so I decided to splay the rails on the receiving joint. And I have to say that this has been a success, no more occasional derailments.

I don’t normally run my HST’s this fast, it was to test the joints for 20 minutes or so at this speed.

• Like 2

During the past few months I started to think about ballast and the type of scene that I wanted to create. I imagined that the ballast on the running lines (with the concrete sleepers), would be slightly newer than the freight loops and sidings (with the wooden sleepers). So I put some cut off bits of track on a couple of boards to have an experiment. This is what I came up with using John Lloyd’s Greenscene ballast.

i must admit that I am not the best with this kind of thing but it does have the look that I am after.

7519FD62-F0C4-43D7-B6E1-48D7A6041807.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

16 minutes ago, Melangoose said:

During the past few months I started to think about ballast and the type of scene that I wanted to create. I imagined that the ballast on the running lines (with the concrete sleepers), would be slightly newer than the freight loops and sidings (with the wooden sleepers). So I put some cut off bits of track on a couple of boards to have an experiment. This is what I came up with using John Lloyd’s Greenscene ballast.

i must admit that I am not the best with this kind of thing but it does have the look that I am after.

7519FD62-F0C4-43D7-B6E1-48D7A6041807.jpeg

Very very good, looking forward to seeing the whole of the layout like it....

If each loop is say 50 feet long that with my poor maths about a scale mile to ballast...  LOL