This is one of the only OO layouts I follow. I like the era/location/stock etc. I'm quite impressed with what you've fitted in to "only" 19 feet in this scale. Sometimes I think this would hardly be enough for N! That's before I remember my layout is only 5' 5"...

What are the scenic plans for the layout? I do understand though that just running trains must be very tempting!

All the best.

Tim. 

On 29/11/2019 at 07:47, Timmy84 said:

This is one of the only OO layouts I follow. I like the era/location/stock etc. I'm quite impressed with what you've fitted in to "only" 19 feet in this scale. Sometimes I think this would hardly be enough for N! That's before I remember my layout is only 5' 5"...

What are the scenic plans for the layout? I do understand though that just running trains must be very tempting!

All the best.

Tim. 

Hi Tim,

it is a bit of a coincidence you saying that Wyvern Road is one of and only (OO) layout that you follow. Because although N Gauge is not my thing, but I was a huge fan of your (sadly missed) Powderham layout with the superb YouTube Videos that you did. I really considered buying it when it was listed in the classifieds (hope it went to a deserving new home).

The long term plan for Wyvern scenically is to re-use structures of another layout that was in the loft before we had all our building work done (Converted a Bungalow into a Chalet Bungalow with rooms in the roof space). The layout to be used as the donor is called Russell Bridge and would be too long (it’s 24 ft scenically) to convert into a roundy. My room hobby room is a little problematic as it is on 2 levels with some steps approx halfway along. So I have decided to build the layout in the well portion with more headheight (which gives me the 19 x 9 space).  Russell Bridge was built by my long term modelling friend Steve Adcock (RussellBridge2017). It was a regular on the exhibition circuit in the 1990’s (and went all over the country) I only hope that I can do It justice scenically. 
Some pictures of the layout in my ownership when I temporary moved the layout from its natively based Teesside to the Bristol area so I could use my Western Region Stock (lets keep this to ourselves and don’t tell Steve).

7B0389C4-A731-45E8-97E9-E9A87BADA55E.jpeg

F8228F78-3451-450A-9A92-DF88B1D53272.jpeg

9C135507-9CD8-4E46-A49D-5FFBC887546A.jpeg

Edited by Melangoose
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...

At times Model Railways can be so frustrating.  It has been a year since I started running trains (which I have thoroughly enjoyed).  I needed to address what signals I was to install before I started ballasting.  My local model shop in Bournemouth also manufacturer the Traintronics brand of colour light signals.  So a purchase was made as I wanted x2 3 aspect signal heads (as I wanted a gantry ) and a 3 aspect signal with a right hand junction indicator (or feather).  I plumped for the DCC signals as I had DCC point motors (with macro routing).  Now I don’t know if I am dumb but I could not get these signals to work with my handset, regardless of how many time’s I read the instructions.  So after a couple of weeks of frustration I decided after talking with Derek (from the Bournemouth Model Railway Centre), to go for the original DC version.  I have now installed these with the switches and I am now a “Happy Boy”.  Having x3 switches on

the layout is not a bad thing as it saves me remembering more address numbers.

A little video of this mornings running, I apologise for the close up quality (taken on

my phone).

• Like 7

Great progress and a fabulous 10minute read.  A couple of Q's if you don't mind

What is length/width of the layout

Do you have any more details on the entrance area you have built and how you achieved this

and finally, where did you get the signal gantry from?  Is this a kit.

Will continue to follow your work to date, given we are modelling similar periods, although mine being somewhat smaller in size.

Cheers

9 hours ago, GEOEng03 said:

Great progress and a fabulous 10minute read.  A couple of Q's if you don't mind

What is length/width of the layout

Do you have any more details on the entrance area you have built and how you achieved this

and finally, where did you get the signal gantry from?  Is this a kit.

Will continue to follow your work to date, given we are modelling similar periods, although mine being somewhat smaller in size.

Cheers

The size of the layout is 19 x 9

The signal gantry is built out of Brass section and the handrails are Albion Alloys Connecto shapes and tubing.

Photo of the lifting board (I presume this is what you mean by the entrance are).  The baseboards were all supplied by Model Railway Solutions, but they did make the lifting board in their workshops (which fits like a glove).

374B92D7-7106-47A6-93E4-453DD91BDA5A.jpeg

• Like 3

Have been having a play to see where the buildings will be placed on the layout. I Have a good idea where I want everything to go.

unfortunately this building is a little too deep, by a couple of inches. I can’t move it anymore to the right as there will be a wall (for the station over bridge) and excess for lorries to unload.

E2435F6B-4682-4E8A-85CB-846197D4CE42.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have been having a play with the corner in question, which is a bit of an awkward shape.  I did build a Pikestuff building, but when I put it in place “it didn’t look right”.  So I had a look and found this ready to plonk Skaledale building in my collection, put a Royal Mail sticker on it. I think it looks ok surrounded with a couple of vans and trucks.

17477105-7081-45D8-85B0-2B184346010B.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

With the track now painted I am turning my attention to the infrastructure that needs to be in place before ballasting can commence. 
Not the most interesting of pictures but shows the production line of my homemade trackside ducting. These are strips of plasticard which I mark with a pen (to depict the 2ft covers).  I then paint them with Plastikote Suede and then dry brush concrete paint (making sure you can still, just see the pen marking).

29BDA9FB-A610-45AC-832B-037EDF0A5BEA.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

The thing is with the trunking is trying to find the one that looks right for you. The Wills variant is 6mm wide,  and I have never seen trunking that works out at 18 inches wide (I think normally about one foot wide), and it’s 4 mm tall which is a scale foot on the baseboards. The trunking that I have looked at on running lines is normally buried in the ballast, so you normally just see the tops. You normally see more depth to the trunking at stations, were it is more accessible to be worked on. I did look into the Scale Model Scenery one to which is very good (and gives you lots of options), but that is 4 mm tall too. 
So I took a leaf out of Temeraire’s book and made my own (probably works out cheaper too).

Edited by Melangoose
Typo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Melangoose said:

So I took a leaf out of Temeraire’s book and made my own (probably works out cheaper too).

Mine was very cheap using scrap card!

Looking good Nigel, I'm not far behind in the shed now!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had a bit like f a re-think on the cable trunking.  If you look at the post on 27th Jan, the trunking on the outside of the curve looks a bit too far from the track. So I have re-done it a little closer and I am more pleased with the results.

94EE0478-0D14-4FB0-BE4F-28F244995DBD.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Agree 1