I think I am correct in saying that the Graffiti was done by hand by Steve Adcock. The building is the first to be permanently re sited from Steve’s Russell Bridge layout.

An older picture of the building on Russell Bridge (RB).  Can I just say that when RB was built (for the Exhibition circuit), the  location was based on urban Teesside.  It had the honour of being in the initial edition of Rail Express, and appeared at shows all over the country, However in its retirement years I have run stock based in its traditional surroundings and also South Wales and Bristol area’s.  The layouts urban backdrop making it ideal for most provincial towns that have heavy industrial area’s.  The picture was previously used on the layout thread 

A day out on the big layout for 50019 Ramillies (DCWA pool)

9988BF00-B000-42C3-B34D-40F8452058E4.jpeg

Edited by Melangoose
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, Melangoose said:

I think I am correct in saying that the Graffiti was done by hand by Steve Adcock. The building is the first to be permanently re sited from Steve’s Russell Bridge layout.

An older picture of the building on Russell Bridge (RB).  Can I just say that when RB was built (for the Exhibition circuit), the  location was based on urban Teesside.  It had the honour of being in the initial edition of Rail Express, and appeared at shows all over the country, However in its retirement years I have run stock based in its traditional surroundings and also South Wales and Bristol area’s.  The layouts urban backdrop making it ideal for most provincial towns that have heavy industrial area’s.  The picture was previously used on the layout thread 

A day out on the big layout for 50019 Ramillies (DCWA pool)

9988BF00-B000-42C3-B34D-40F8452058E4.jpeg

Thanks for the info there very interesting,im following this progress keep up good work...

On 11/04/2020 at 00:03, saxokid said:

Thanks for the info there very interesting,im following this progress keep up good work...

The original "art work" was on a wall located near the old GWR  Malvern Road loco shed, now a cycle path, sorry I have not been able to find the photo we had from the 1980s.

The original was reproduced on the brilliant layout Hayley Mills in the 1990s, see below.

I then updated it on Russell Bridge and now it has a further lift on the Wonderful Wyvern....

HMgraff.jpg

RBgraff.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A nice trip down memory lane Steve, thanks for that. I remember being in so inspired when I first saw Hayley Mills (think it was at the Kidlington Model Railway Exhibition, possibly in 1990-91)  The industrial and urban setting and all that lovely stock. Wow.

I seem to remember in those early days a bridge in the middle of the layout (with the tracks on), and a river below.

• Agree 2

On 22/04/2020 at 15:57, Melangoose said:

Thanks for the comments folks. The next section is a new build housing area. Lots to ponder to get the effect that I am looking for.

BD4A0060-AB04-41CC-90AC-8DAF5B000FC4.jpeg

Hi

Looks fantastic. Have you scratch built the houses of are they kit/resin. 

Enjoying the work going into the build

Cheers 

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Melangoose said:

A nice trip down memory lane Steve, thanks for that. I remember being in so inspired when I first saw Hayley Mills (think it was at the Kidlington Model Railway Exhibition, possibly in 1990-91)  The industrial and urban setting and all that lovely stock. Wow.

I seem to remember in those early days a bridge in the middle of the layout (with the tracks on), and a river below.

Me too...scarey...

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, GEOEng03 said:

Hi

Looks fantastic. Have you scratch built the houses of are they kit/resin. 

Enjoying the work going into the build

Cheers 

These houses are ready to plonk on the layout Bachmann Low Relief Townhouses. The idea is that these houses are “new builds”, so a couple of garages have been repainted but that’s about it. If I can get the surroundings to look alright then this might detract from them being out of the box models.

• Like 1

I had always planned for a traditional type of Signal Box at Wyvern Road. Indeed I purchased this Bachmann Scenecraft Model a couple of years ago (Which I think is based on a box from the West Somerset Railway), and changed the name (picture below).  My problem is the more I think about it that the 4 track section (before rationalisation in the 1960/70’s) would possibly been a larger signal box. 

89EA8B4F-68B2-4EF9-A5CC-9BA54DFBA799.jpeg

• Like 1

Another option I do have is to see I can suitability repair the RB signal box, this is a 1960’s style of build. It does fit the bill, in a such that it is a larger structure and maybe more suited for the location.  It was based on and heavily modified Peco product.  The framing over the glazing had some damage from a few years ago so I will have to raid my plastic cut offs box. Fingers crossed !!!!

97533D67-753B-408A-93F6-44E0DC6B05EE.jpeg

1 hour ago, Melangoose said:

I had always planned for a traditional type of Signal Box at Wyvern Road. Indeed I purchased this Bachmann Scenecraft Model a couple of years ago (Which I think is based on a box from the West Somerset Railway), and changed the name (picture below).  My problem is the more I think about it that the 4 track section (before rationalisation in the 1960/70’s) would possibly been a larger signal box. 

89EA8B4F-68B2-4EF9-A5CC-9BA54DFBA799.jpeg

Hi

Looking really good & progressing nicely......

As regards the above box could it have been a case of two boxes one at either end of the formation so an East/West or North /South Box & after rationalisation one was demolished with the other taking overall control.......

Just a thought as it seems a shame not to use the above model especially as you had wanted a traditional box.....

Cheers Bill

35 minutes ago, treggyman said:

Hi

Looking really good & progressing nicely......

As regards the above box could it have been a case of two boxes one at either end of the formation so an East/West or North /South Box & after rationalisation one was demolished with the other taking overall control.......

Just a thought as it seems a shame not to use the above model especially as you had wanted a traditional box.....

Cheers Bill

I see what you are saying Bill, and maybe makes sense, just keeping my options open at the moment.

38BA006F-2E35-4029-9643-F40604066E1B.jpeg

• Like 2