One of the ideas that I had with the old level crossing now out of use to road traffic, was to put some of the decommissioned equipment up against the fence in the area next to the signal box.  Got this idea from Sherborne in Dorset where the old crossing gates are propped up to the boundary fence.  

82DA4F8C-6509-4573-95AA-73021075CBB0.jpeg

51CCF12C-311A-4378-AC80-AD145D878C94.jpeg

• Like 16

My Dad Dennis or Jim as he likes to to known as, shares Wyvern Road with me.  He has 4 tracks in the fiddle yard for his steam era trains. 

It was his Birthday yesterday (29th May), so he came over to run some of his trains.  We gave him a Hornby Brighton Belle (the 1934 model), to celebrate his 88th Birthday.   The 1934 version is very adapt as he was born the year before in 1933.  And grew up a stones throw from Clapham Junction, where his father (my grandad, Albert), was a guard.  On some days he remembers his father taking him to work where he spent the whole day in the Shunters cabin between the Windsor and Southwestern / Victoria running lines (just think how many numbers you would get in those days).

Happy Birthday for yesterday Dad.

4DF9CF79-5CA2-48AB-8C35-7522B0877D05.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 19

• 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Temeraire said:

Looks good so far Nigel, keep at it the ballasting brings it all to life. I quite enjoyed doing it over the he Christmas period!

You made an excellent job with the ballasting on Exford Park 2.  If mines half as good I will be very happy.

So far so good with the ballasting.  Decided to run some trains this evening.  DB Cargo  67013 (light engine) on a driver training trip from Cardiff to Holyhead, at a stand at signal WD1, under the watchful eye of the WR signaller.  
Note to self: to reattach the signal post telephone at some stage.  Lol….

DB994180-2D70-44FE-A399-BD8709CF48FA.jpeg

• Like 14

Not much to report this week apart from changing the x3 points at the end of the layout.  I tried to be clever and trim the Peco point mechanism, to try and make it look more realistic (went a bit too far with it), and just made the points less reliable.  So have changed them for new ones and limited the use of my modelling knife,  Just need to paint them and then next week continue with the ballasting.

241876D8-E168-4204-8A6B-701842149A40.jpeg

• Like 6

On 02/07/2021 at 10:59, Melangoose said:

Not much to report this week apart from changing the x3 points at the end of the layout.  I tried to be clever and trim the Peco point mechanism, to try and make it look more realistic (went a bit too far with it), and just made the points less reliable.  So have changed them for new ones and limited the use of my modelling knife,  Just need to paint them and then next week continue with the ballasting.

241876D8-E168-4204-8A6B-701842149A40.jpeg

That’s a great rendition of how the approach to Bristol looks right now !

4 hours ago, rob D2 said:

That’s a great rendition of how the approach to Bristol looks right now !

You are spot on with your observation.  I went to Temple Meads yesterday and like you say there is points and point kits everywhere as you approach the station.  
And I thought Peco points were in short supply at the moment.  Lol….

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

14 hours ago, RusselBridge2017 said:

Track look great, the variation in colours and condition look spot on!!!!

Love the weathering on the blue building too.

Thanks Steve

Slowly but surely the layout is progressing (all I need is more hours in the day to fit everything in).

2A01A046-CC82-4861-B56F-A8D6E77DCC9D.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Melangoose said:

Thanks Steve

Slowly but surely the layout is progressing (all I need is more hours in the day to fit everything in).

2A01A046-CC82-4861-B56F-A8D6E77DCC9D.jpeg

Retire.:D

O.K. Nigel,  I'm gone.:dancer:

• Funny 2