On the layout there is two small sidings on the scenic area. Have decided that the nearest (and shortest siding), is to become a DMU Holding siding (think this will add a little operational interest and a chance to rotate my small sprinter fleet).

post-8832-0-42499900-1545343440_thumb.png

• Like 7

As I have mentioned before I am a big fan of the HST’s (especially the FGW/GWR one’s). So when Hornby announced the Class 800 IEP I was more interested in the GWR liveried HST pack. But when Hornby released the IEP with Sir Daniel Gooch at one end and Ismbard Kingdom Brunel at the other (two Great Western pioneers), I decided to get one for the layout.

post-8832-0-45974500-1545955211_thumb.png

I must say that I am very impressed with the model (I am aware that some modellers have had issues). Hornby have captured the modern character of the train, very well.

post-8832-0-19738000-1545956787_thumb.png

A comparison shot of the “Old Guard and the new Pretender”. I will be sticking with the idea of the HST’s being in service and my low numbered IEP (set Number 4) being on a Test / Gauging or Publicity run.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Stock Update

Have spent some time getting my other FGW HST rake ready for service, weathered under frames and roofs.

post-8832-0-20639800-1547547086_thumb.jpeg

With the layout being based on and Industrial town near the welsh border. I had to have a Welshman powercar.

post-8832-0-51762700-1547547214_thumb.jpeg

I am lucky that I have two friends that are experts with DCC installation (Kevin of Leaford and Roger from Bournemouth West). Roger kindly fitted the powercars with the Hornby TTS sound and a larger speakers, the sound is awesome (Thanks Roger).

post-8832-0-93184800-1547547537_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Melangoose
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Had a chance to run some trains last night and to stick the buffer beam bits on 66065. The loco looks superb, the weathering by Bachmann is very good, great reflection of the current railway.

post-8832-0-15536600-1548368264_thumb.jpeg

From next week I will turn my attention to Melangoose, getting ready for the Bournemouth Model Railway Exhibition next month.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Not much has been happening to the layout recently as my other layout (Melangoose), attended the Bournemouth Model Railway Exhibition last month.

One train that I have been tinkering with was my Freightliner Coal rake (which has to be one of my favourite trains). This train is formed of x10 wagons, a mixture of factory weathered and clean (although I have to say that Bachmann’s weathering on these isn’t their best).  I have used “Hampshire Hog’s” method of painting them all over (in this case weathered black on the bodies and a drab colour underneath), then wiping it all off. This changes the colour slightly to a more desired effect. The picture shows a factory weathered model with one coat (of paint on and wipe off), what was a clean model with x2 coats and an out of the box model.

7632D2AD-AF8F-428E-A527-4908A2415152.jpeg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Going off topic a little, we went to London at the weekend to meet up with some friends. We met at Paddington (by the Brunel statue) and walked along the canal to Portabello Road Market (which was a nice experience). The first time at Padd was all IEP’s, but on the return, a Penzance bound HST was at Platform 3.

There isn't much more time for enjoying the sight of HST’s at Paddington, so let’s enjoy them while we can.

177D709F-8865-4852-8984-F4ABE5414C71.png

6D4D834B-66BE-4C7A-B2E0-18CF7B6EFF3E.jpeg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

My good lady is currently laid up on the couch with a broken ankle. So while she was watching the latest “Game of Thrones” episode (for the second time). I sneaked upstairs to run some trains and thought that I would video it.

• Like 7