• 3 weeks later...

I have had a re think on the next job to do. I had intended to do the ballast next, but the other day I was at Roger Sunderland’s (of Bournemouth West fame). He is building a new layout at home and is now concentrating on the buildings at the back of the layout and he was saying that he wished he had done this before having to lean over completed track work and platforms etc. So taking a leaf from a layout master, I am now concentrating on the back scene first.

91AD9169-724F-4AB7-8C9B-AC0B26DEDC9B.jpeg

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, Melangoose said:

Nick, Do you remember the NZG Heavy Forklift? (blast from 20 years ago). Trailer is recycled from RB.

Yes, thats the first thing I noticed. I was going to mention it but couldn't remember who made it.

On 25/01/2020 at 11:24, Melangoose said:

With the track now painted I am turning my attention to the infrastructure that needs to be in place before ballasting can commence. 
Not the most interesting of pictures but shows the production line of my homemade trackside ducting. These are strips of plasticard which I mark with a pen (to depict the 2ft covers).  I then paint them with Plastikote Suede and then dry brush concrete paint (making sure you can still, just see the pen marking).

Great layout.  I like your idea for Cable Trough using a pen to depict the joints.  I too was not happy with any of the manufactured offerings and have gone down the route of DIY using plasticard sections.  How are you sticking yours down to the basebaord?

Just one obs, cable troughs are normally 1000mm long.  The C/1/9 or C/1/8 being the common trough size along plain line (1000 h x 280 w x 170 d plus 40mm for lid)  see https://www.powerandcables.com/product/cable-trough/concrete-cable-trough/

Like you I need to laying all the cable trough on my layout as it is holding up my ballasting too!

What I have observed in the real world along plain line is that the cable trough acts as a clear divide between the ballast  shoulder and the lineside grass/vegitation. see example of my efforts https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106602-family-8x4-oo-layout-trains-running-again/&do=findComment&comment=2898300

Edited by Jaggzuk
  • Like 1

The plan is for the Foundry siding and reception line to be in a disused state. Dad wanted to put one of those automatic shuttles in so we could have a preserved loco and brake van.
Definitely not !!!!

The picture of the Janus on the reception line is just for show.

Edited by Melangoose
Typo
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Melangoose said:

The plan is for the Foundry siding and reception line to be in a disused state. Dad wanted to put on of those automatic shuttles in so we could have a preserved loco and brake van. Definitely not !!!!

I like that idea, how about one of the new Bachmann sound Thomass?

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

Added a few more details to the SBA Engineering (Foundry) yard, yellow hazard markings on the concrete near the workshop roller doors, protective covering on the metal coils, some H beams ready for transportation, scattered pallets and some stileages (which need some weathering). All in all quite happy with how the scene is beginning to look.

9F117BCF-E420-4AF0-B3C3-8E3ED24697A9.jpeg

27592458-6530-4DD6-B567-3EFF78997F7C.jpeg

• Like 15

With me being generally happy with the Foundry now (have weathered the stilages since the last photo). My attention has turned to the TNT Depot which sits to the right of the Foundry, see picture below (sorry about the quality it was screenshot from a video clip). The thing is with the Foundry Steel Warehouse being a kind of old British Steel Blue colour now and there being another blue industrial unit further to the right again. It was time to get the paints out.

4D4EB8FA-ED0F-4363-AD9C-CFE41C142CF5.png

• Craftsmanship/clever 1