Oily look for steam loco oily bits ?

Now there are a couple gents on here who I've just stumbled across whilst researching Bachmann 9F's, Tim and Gordon S who both use an oil and powder method for the oily bits. So my question is, what type of oil and powder refered to as "steam" has been used?. Gordon S mentions it in his 9F section which was quite sometime ago so I'm only 8 years late!

Edited by w124bob

• RMweb Gold

Now there are a couple gents on here who I've just stumbled across whilst researching Bachmann 9F's, Tim and Gordon S who both use an oil and powder method for the oily bits. So my question is, what type of oil and powder refered to as "steam" has been used?. Gordon S mentions it in his 9F section which was quite sometime ago so I'm only 8 years late!

Rather than me having to search the whole of RMweb for the topic, can you provide a clue to the whereabouts of it? If Gordon S or Tim can't answer your question, then somebody else might be able to if they can find the original post(s).

Here is the link to the first oil reference www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/18339-eastwood-town-9f-gets-weatheredstage-3/ as Gordon s posted yesterday he's still here. He simply refers to dry brushing using lubricating oil, so I assume he's refering to oil intended for loco mechs.

• RMweb Premium

a bit of humbrol "leather" mixed with humbrol "gunmetal" applied then a wash of an ink/water/washing up liquid mix and a bit of a brown/black weathering powder dragged across the nearly dry ink mix?

post-7650-0-05399900-1539293972_thumb.jpg

Baz