Class 15 - Pictures and details of train formations

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, iands said:

Wonder what the two notices say that are hanging from buffer beam. Also, painted on the yellow panel is No.1 HEAT ON, I wonder if the lower centre disc should be displayed to this effect?

ADB968001 sits in the sidings with its coaching stock near the newly erected office and mess blocks at Haymarket.

:)

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, iands said:

Wonder what the two notices say that are hanging from buffer beam. Also, painted on the yellow panel is No.1 HEAT ON, I wonder if the lower centre disc should be displayed to this effect?

Enlarging the following picture, the notice on the coupling says :

"These vehicles are being electrically preheated.

Locomotives or other vehicles must not be coupled to these vehicles.

This notice must only be removed by C&W electrical staff"

The other one is not distinct but :

"Danger <something>

1000 <something>

do not open"

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Is there any sound footage of them anywhere?  The sound that most models of them have is from the preserved one being ran up a few years back but unfortunately the engine had no load on it so its not at all representative of the real thing under load 

• Agree 1

Bought an incomplete Dave Alexander 4mm kit,  built very easily, and now painted it looks very well. 

However I made the mistake of fitting it with a power bogie from a Triang/Hornby Railcar R157,

that now runs pretty well,    but oh dear it now sits too high by about  4mmm and the buffers do not align with typical rolliing stock.  The obvious answer - to replace with smaller dia wheels will lead to lower bogie frame mouldings grounding on the rail head (these are the excellent Heljan mouldings

glued onto the ground down bogie side frames)  and I'm loath to start again in that area.  I think

I'll put overscale buffer discs on which will just about do, despite not being as per prototype.  Its

all a learning curve ....sigh ...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Interesting to see (a couple of postings back) that, by the 1979 repaint, ADB968000 (the former Haymarket loco) has lost its ETS jumpers, whilst ADB968002 (the former Bradford, Hammerton St. loco) retains them. It's something that I'd never noticed before.

The Hammerton St. and Hornsey heating units were the only ones that I ever saw at their original home depots. I had to wait for the Haymarket and Heaton ones to come south before I tracked them down.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 35A said:

Interesting to see (a couple of postings back) that, by the 1979 repaint, ADB968000 (the former Haymarket loco) has lost its ETS jumpers, whilst ADB968002 (the former Bradford, Hammerton St. loco) retains them. It's something that I'd never noticed before.

The Hammerton St. and Hornsey heating units were the only ones that I ever saw at their original home depots. I had to wait for the Haymarket and Heaton ones to come south before I tracked them down.

It looks to have jumpers on No1 end 

It seems to have gained an air train pipe and if its colour is to believed a distributor too

The main res pipe is white so whether this is a through pipe is anyone's guess and I'm at a loss as to why it retains regulating air pipes

15 hours ago, russ p said:

It looks to have jumpers on No1 end 

It seems to have gained an air train pipe and if its colour is to believed a distributor too

The main res pipe is white so whether this is a through pipe is anyone's guess and I'm at a loss as to why it retains regulating air pipes

You're right, Russ. Looking further into it, at other photographs and threads, it appears that no 2 was the only one that had ETS jumpers at both ends.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, 35A said:

You're right, Russ. Looking further into it, at other photographs and threads, it appears that no 2 was the only one that had ETS jumpers at both ends.

It must have really restricted how they were used

Talking to a mate today who remembers them in ETH use reckons they were very loud and had a scream.... not what the sound chips do 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

D8234 Liverpool St1969 by George Woods

D8234 Liverpool St. Stn. 25.2.69 D8234 Liverpool St. Stn. 25.2.69 D8234-D1778  Liverpool St. Stn. 25.2.69

A shame they never got blue that has just about everything a blue loco has except the colour. 

Never noticed black buffer beams.  No wonder that people thought there were blue ones as if you saw this in black and white you would probably think it was blue

Big mystery as to why non ever got blue

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, russ p said:

A shame they never got blue that has just about everything a blue loco has except the colour. 

Never noticed black buffer beams.  No wonder that people thought there were blue ones as if you saw this in black and white you would probably think it was blue

Big mystery as to why non ever got blue

Perhaps BR had already realised that they were superfluous to requirements and weren't long for this world.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Perhaps BR had already realised that they were superfluous to requirements and weren't long for this world.

Didn't stop them doing a D600, baby Deltic, CoBo and several NBL type 2s

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another (excellent) photo which shows the extra set of ETH gear (jumper and dummy on the left, socket on the right).

Does anyone know which stock this was used for as I'm not aware of any that had this reversed jumper layout?

It has come up before but there's never been an answer🤔

12 hours ago, keefer said:

Another (excellent) photo which shows the extra set of ETH gear (jumper and dummy on the left, socket on the right).

Does anyone know which stock this was used for as I'm not aware of any that had this reversed jumper layout?

It has come up before but there's never been an answer🤔

Could it be that it allowed the loco to supply power to coaches stabled on either side of it?