Weston Town N Gauge 5x2 Modern Image

toolongtoremember

So now I am painting the platforms to look better, will making the edges look better this way. 

Also laid some more green on the layout and patched any ballast holes where ballast did not stick today. 

I have also fillered some holes :D

IMG_20190215_150111.jpg

Edited by toolongtoremember
  • Like 2

Starting to look a little more tidy now, and dare I say it almost exhibition ready... A LONG LONG way to go before completion however!!!  

I have sorted that ugly baseboard joint on the top level of the layout with copious amounts of filler and paint, I have added a tonne of scatter/grass and I have reattached the wall on the top of the triple road tunnel entrance. 

IMG_20190217_003446.jpg

IMG_20190217_003454.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shanks522 said:

Nice video! also good to see the HST climbing without to much trouble, wa the power car at the front or rear of the train?

Graham.

At the rear, if it is on the front it looses its coaches when the train decides to split on the incline... Will be buying some different coupling mechanisms for my HSTs because they all do it L :'( 

1 hour ago, shanks522 said:

I have had similar problems with my Farish Mk2's, in the end i bought some coupling bars from Shapeways.

Means i have to run a fixed formation rake but saves on the uncoupling when you don't want it.

Graham.

I have looked in to those, I just can't find anybody willing to deliver them to Ireland :'(

1 hour ago, toolongtoremember said:

I have looked in to those, I just can't find anybody willing to deliver them to Ireland :'(

Thats a shame, Another option is to use the Dapol fixed knuckles that they supply with nearly all there stock.

I've done this to my Dapol MJA's, i didn't like the gap so i used a long and short fixed knuckle, simply glued to two together, should work with the Mk3's no problem.

1115797387_MJAclosercoupling.jpg.1afd75ffd04d6aafebeacd9f7759633c.jpg

Graham. 

• Informative/Useful 1

I was about half way through watching your video and I was thinking that a Voyager would be just the right length for the shorter platforms and lo and behold...

Also I've got a layout very similar in size and design to yours, but now I'm thinking that I should have designed it like yours with a big terminal station on the upper level. Is it too late to rebuild I wonder? :D

• Agree 1

On 17/02/2019 at 20:02, montyburns56 said:

I was about half way through watching your video and I was thinking that a Voyager would be just the right length for the shorter platforms and lo and behold...

Also I've got a layout very similar in size and design to yours, but now I'm thinking that I should have designed it like yours with a big terminal station on the upper level. Is it too late to rebuild I wonder? :D

And I have a layout like Shanks522, this a copy of Grahams layout, with an extra foot in length and some modifications on the top level and a dual mainline on the bottom...  :D

Got to love the voyager from Graham Farish there, my most reliable unit by far, mainly due to the couplings used. 

Agree it looks good in that platform, the rear platform is only for HSTs because it is the only platform long enough. And of course we have to have all the small DMUs in between in the other three platforms :D 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So today I had the best bargain find of my entire modelling life, at an exhibition today I picked up this catch for 140 euros the lot. Now, the Freightliner, Metronets GBRFs, and one class 73 are dummy units, but the 47 express parcels, GBRF 66 and the other GBRF 73 are all working locos, along with the selection of wagons, parcel coaches and buildings I think today I've come out on top. This is pretty much my smaller side project layout done for stock.  

IMG_20190421_181207.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/02/2019 at 17:59, shanks522 said:

Thats a shame, Another option is to use the Dapol fixed knuckles that they supply with nearly all there stock.

I've done this to my Dapol MJA's, i didn't like the gap so i used a long and short fixed knuckle, simply glued to two together, should work with the Mk3's no problem.

1115797387_MJAclosercoupling.jpg.1afd75ffd04d6aafebeacd9f7759633c.jpg

Graham. 

What length draw bars would take a Dapol mk3 over radius 1 and back to back st5 (the tightest ones) peco points do you reckon? I may design my own and get them printed you see. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For the big blank area on the top level, I've been struggling for ages to think of what might look good there, with no road access... 

A gasworks was suggested, but I could find no substantial kits that would look any good on there. 

So I went looking else where, and I found these; 

image.png.81a4f3e6e691788f418687696957e333.png

image.png.01a260c493ccd1b733cd3381b2ff173e.png

I am going to make this, along with the associated other kits PN182, PN183 and PN184 and make an abandoned factory complex on the blank area, where the once was a road, which has now been disused. 

Now I need to find some good graffiti transfers etc. 

Ordered the kits today, will leave some updates when they have been built and fitted :) 

image.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just an update there, sorry its been so long! Two of the three factory units have been built and installed. It really fills the layout with some life rather than the bleakness of before. Will get some photos taken soon, just have to replace two point motors I accidentally glued shut first!