Barclay Class 06 - where to begin in 00

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Despite being convinced that I had seen something about this on here, and having done a variety of searches, I can't locate anything on where to begin to construct a Barclay class 06 shunter.  I like the look of them, and remember them just before the last were withdrawn.  I have considered adapting the Hornby model but don't know just how much work would be required.  A model of one of these would fit in nicely with something I would really like to do.

So, has anyone out there upgraded a Hornby 06, kit-built, or scratch-built one and would be happy to offer some advice or guidance as to where to begin.

Many thanks in advance for any help or pointers.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi everyone,

Despite being convinced that I had seen something about this on here, and having done a variety of searches, I can't locate anything on where to begin to construct a Barclay class 06 shunter.  I like the look of them, and remember them just before the last were withdrawn.  I have considered adapting the Hornby model but don't know just how much work would be required.  A model of one of these would fit in nicely with something I would really like to do.

So, has anyone out there upgraded a Hornby 06, kit-built, or scratch-built one and would be happy to offer some advice or guidance as to where to begin.

Many thanks in advance for any help or pointers.

Regards,

Alex.

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/catalogue/judithedge

About 2/3 of the way down the page.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike & Carl,

Thanks for that.

Having never built an etched kit before, would this be suitable for a complete beginner?  Do the instructions contain recommendations for wheels, gears, motor, etc?  Are any parts pre-formed, or are they all flat etches?

I tried to look at the kits in great detail, however I got the following error:

Unknown column 'SID' in 'where clause'

Again, thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,

Alex.

Edited by Alex TM

The Hornby model was redimensioned in almost every respect to enable it to fit a chassis. Altering it is possible but a huge amount of work, even though there is quite a reasonable replacement chassis kit available from Branchlines.

The Judith Edge kit is, as near as I can tell, accurate and not too difficult to build. Mike Edge, the kit designer, has a good reputation.

Some links:

https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/suppliers/40503-JudithEdgeKits

Judith edge kits are on the smaller suppliers section of RM web. Michael Edge, the propietor, is also a regular contributor to RM web. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/45248-judith-edge-kits/page-1

HTH,

Carl

I think this is the link you want.

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/catalogue/judithedge

I'm yet to build a JE kit yet, but I've seen them in the flesh and they look good.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike & Carl,

Thanks for that.

Having never built an etched kit before, would this be suitable for a complete beginner?  Do the instructions contain recommendations for wheels, gears, motor, etc?  Are any parts pre-formed, or are they all flat etches?

I tried to look at the kits in great detail, however I got the following error:

Unknown column 'SID' in 'where clause'

Again, thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,

Alex.

I'm building a JE one at the moment. There are one or two challenges - the bend over the cab roof to meet the cab sides was a bit tricky. But otherwise it's fairly straightforward, and I built a few of their kits early on in my etched-kit-building life, so nothing to be afraid of. 

The kit contains instructions for Gibson wheels, yes. You might be able to get a Romford substitute to make life easier but if you do please cover the awful centre nut. 

Re the motor, there are no instructions in the kit, but this link from the High Level website allows you to plan which gearbox will fit in the space available and Chris, the proprietor, is always very helpful: http://173.254.28.51/~highlev3/chris/Pages/gearboxplanningpage.html 

You will have a lot of choice for the gearbox, I imagine - there's lots of room in the 06 body. 

Edited by Daddyman

• RMweb Gold

I'm in agreement with the thumbs ups for the JE kits, whilst not a shake the box kit they are a well thought out and designed kit which go together as intended without any traumas of parts not fitting/needing fettling.

The Barclay is a good starter IMHO, only the bonnet top and cab roof need forming, the former having half etched lines to assist, and is intended to be assembled as a series of sub structures, so access with the hot spanner isn't too difficult.

The only "complaint" I would have is that the instructions are, as someone once famously said, terse, but Mike is available for advice, electronically or at exhibitions.

Follow Daddymans advice above also and I don't think you'll go far wrong.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Looks like the perceived wisdom is to go down the JE models route.  That said, has anyone done a full work over on the Hornby model?  Having been looking at Clive Mortimore's work on here, does  anybody know where I can find published scale drawings of one?

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

Edited by Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Looks like the perceived wisdom is to go down the JE models route.  That said, has anyone done a full work over on the Hornby model?  Having been looking at Clive Mortimore's work on here, does  anybody know where I can find published scale drawings of one?

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

Erm, inside the box of the Judith Edge kit...  :jester:

Hi again,

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

Scale drawings? I think there are some basic weight diagrams in The Diesel Shunter book by Colin Marsden. I doubt they would be much use to make a model with though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pictorial-Record-Diesel-Shunter-Marsden/dp/0860931080/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1539370494&sr=8-2&keywords=the+diesel+shunter

Jason

Hi again,

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

I have seen modified and detailed Hornby models but it involves a lot of cutting and shutting. The dimensions of the Hornby 06 are completely wrong, it was designed to fit around their 0-4-0 chassis but the body does have some nice detail on it. Doing an etched kit would seem easier.

Carl

• RMweb Premium

Tony Wood did a very good reworking of the Hornby shell, powered using the Branchlines chassis. He wrote the process up for the DEMU magazine Update (Issue 22) and possibly also for the EMGS magazine - talking about 15-20 years ago now.

The Hornby bonnet and cab are around 7mm too wide, so need a fair bit of cutting and shutting. Tony split the bonnet (having removed the front grille) lenthways and removed the 7mm from the middle while the cab needs 2 slices taking out lenthways (cut between the rear windows)

The relevant MRC issue thaddeus mentioned is November 1986. 

Edited by CloggyDog

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

I'll keep a look out for the MRC, etc.

It looks like the best way will be the etched kit, though as I haven't done anything like that before I may start with something a bit simpler (wagon?).

Again,  thanks for all the input.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Another option would be to scratchbuild a plasticard body for the Branchlines chassis - Clive of this parish has done one (which I now own for my Reading Signal works project) and I have previously built one in 7mm from plasticard - the MRC drawings will certainly help. Plasticard is a cheap option, so you could give it a go and see how you get on?

This may inspire: http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/project_class06-13.html

If you do go down the Hornby route, it's probably worth getting just the cab/bonnet/footplate moulding, rather than a complete loco.

Clive's scratchbuilt body on an MTK chassis

43619656382_bf16936d32_c.jpgDSC_0018 by Alan Monk, on Flickr

Edited by CloggyDog

• RMweb Premium

Oddly the MTK kit is quite good. Well that is until I held the soldering iron on for too long and melted one of the white metal castings which wreaked the body beyond repair. Hence the scratchbuilt one Alan now has......but the chassis is MTK but don't tell him, :secret:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

How did you form the cab roof?  To me, that's the bit that looks most difficult.

Thanks.

Alex.

Hi Alex

From memory the cab was cut out and made up with a 40 thou roof filed to shape, then a 10 thou overlay to give the overhang was stuck on curving down the sides. I filed the 10 thou on the edges that met the sides so they blended in. The rain strip helps hide the join. I don't have a photo of the 06 but I do have one of an 01 that was built at the same time, I hope you can see what I mean about making the roof.

post-16423-0-43177500-1539384634.jpg

Edit here is a front view of the 0-6-0 Barclay

post-16423-0-63661200-1539385223_thumb.jpg

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1