Killin Junction - The elusive west signal box

Argos

• RMweb Gold

I posted this question on the Caledonian Railway Association forum a couple of weeks ago and have had no response.

Let's see if RMWebers can provide some detail!

In the not too distant future I am intending to build a 2mm Finescale model of Killin Junction (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137795-modelling-the-co-killin-junction/&do=findComment&comment=3310385) set in the period immediately before the first world war.

All the main structures have been well documented in a series of drawings in the True Line Journal, most of which were also published in Modellers Backtrack.

The one structure that remains elusive is the West Signal box.
This was removed in alterations carried out in 1935 under the LMS so was not very long lived, and, being at the less photogenic end of the station does not appear in any photographs I have seen.

I have most of the published books and magazine articles of the line so have trawled through quite a few pictures!

The 1900 25" OS map shows the structure and the size could be scaled, however, these map are not 100% accurate. The track plan for the junction is missing a cross over in the Killin bay and further down the Killin line a signal box is shown at Loch Tay where it seems to be accept fact one did not exist (only an open ground frame).
I have seen it speculated that the Killin Junction West Box was similarly only a ground frame, but there seems to be convincing evidence the box existed.

Is anyone aware of the details of the box?

http://www.oban-line.info     records the signal diagram and the fact that there were twenty levers.

I am also supposing it wouldn't be like the other boxes on the C&O as these were originally built as open ground frames but quickly enclosed, hence the quirky nature of some of the structures. 

Killin Junction was not built concurrently with the line but opened at a later date to accommodate the Killin Railway.
By that stage I am presuming a purpose built box would have been constructed, especially as someone else was paying.

All information and speculation gratefully received!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks both,

I had seen the photo  posted on the Railscot site but it doesn't really help any.

I did visit the site a couple of years ago when on holiday, we were staying by Loch Earn so I cycled up and over Glen Ogle and down to Killin.

It was absolutely persisting down when I got the Killin Junction site so I didn't hang around long, a return visit is long overdue.

The footprint of the West Box on the 1900 25" OS map is similar to the of the East, which shouldn't be a surprise really as they housed a similar number of levers so I would suppose they would be similar in size.

I would guess the Wast box was not as tall through.

post-13616-0-15338700-1539108242_thumb.jpg

Given that it must have still be a sizable structure I do find it odd that it hasn't appeared in any photos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Given that it must have still be a sizable structure I do find it odd that it hasn't appeared in any photos.

Off topic.

I've got photos of signal boxes that closed around 1900 - but trying to get decent photos of other boxes which lasted into the 1960s / 70s is nigh on impossible - it depends if anyone was interested enough to photograph it, or at least have it in the photo - and then finding that photo. All down to luck.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for sharing that excellent photo Argos.

kind regards,

Robert

Corrour, Thanks I should add it is not mine.

I'm not sure where I found it but if it was attributed to someone I normally make a note.

There are many more of the C& O line here if you are interested:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/sets/72157688374962505/with/36765633072/

A real tresure trove of late 50s early 60s colour photos.

Whilst wading through the collection I did spot this:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/36765633072/in/album-72157688374962505/

The PWay hut on the left of the picture by the signal is in the same approximate location as the West box as indicated on the 25" OS map.

This begs a couple of questions.

Is the chimney stack in the photo on the Railscot site highlighted by 27016 above the remains of this structure?

Was the Pway hut built on the foundations of the signal box utilising the chimney stack from the demolished box?

It looks a rather large hut although the chimney looks too short for a signal box.

• 2 months later...

I'm late coming in to this topic but have done some digging to see if I can help here.

I cannot source any photos just now but can give you the following information that might be helpful :

My source is the Signalbox Register Vol 6 Scotland published by the Signalling Record Society

Killin West was a 22 lever 'box and brick built.

It's style is described as N1 - Killin West was also described as N1. Further examples of N1s are Callander East & West and Throsk. In the absence of further information I would personally use Throsk as the style you need for your project...

Best wishes,

Graham.