Harvey’s Foundry

PAT JAYA 185

Hello,

My name is Pat and I am 32 years old. A married Chef with two young boys. After fiddling about with some airfix models about 6 years ago I decided to build a model railway. After starting out in 2mm, I discovering 009 gauge And change to 4mm narrow gauge modelling fairly quickly. I have been building my 009 gauge layout for a few years now, and have at least a few more years let in the build, but I have mostly been building 009 locomotives and stock. With a few locomotives completed I feel like I’ve now past the pain stackingly frustrating part of build a narrow gauge model railway.

I decided to try my hand at the cake box challenge to expand my modelling techniques and explore further possibilities for my main layout. Having decided my diarama would be based on the same setting as my main project I would benefit from the research I have already done, and benefit from any new techniques gained.

The diarama was heaverly influences on the Doxford ship yards in Sunderland. I already had a Backwoods miniatures kit of one of the four Crane tanks built for the ship yards by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn. I have altered this to narrow gauge to fit the 9mm gauge track. I’ve always adored the crane locomotives and the dirt and decay of them and their surroundings in pictures from the Doxford ship yards.

The oigin of my 009 layout was based on Hayle harbour on the north coast of Cornwall where Harvey and sons Foundry actually existed. The history of the layout is based on the copper and tin mines in the area continuing production until the mid 60’s. this is my example of could have been......

A substantial 2.6ft gauge line is built between a number of mining districts in the area linking them with the harbour and the Angarrack smelters. Therefore the harbour, foundry and the nearby smelters continued to flourish until the second would war when production almost ground to a halt. During the years after the war the mines slowly start to close and the smelters and foundry also followed. Reducing trade until the late 1950’s till full closure in 1963. The diarama is a slice of the of the foundry and apart of the crane loco sheds. The crane locomotives worked in and around the harbour and foundry. Although there was never a narrow gauge railway in this part of Cornwall there had been in other parts of Cornwall. They supported clay, granite, tin, copper and gravel industries, so I feel this is a perfectly reasonable representation of an industrial railway in this part of the world.

Here is the finished Backwoods miniatures crane tank. It’s taken many days sat fiddling with this thing to get to this stage. I will admit it almost got thrown across the room a couple times.

By far the biggest part of this diarama has been completing this old beastie.

post-34214-0-49761400-1539109377_thumb.jpeg

As I’m completely useless of taking pictures of my progress, I don’t have many pictures of the building process. ‍♂

The diarama

The diarama is made out of white form board (off cuts) with a raised section to the left. Obviously cut to the 8x8 sq base and 6” tall. Then adding clay to the raised section and carved brick work to create a stone wall. About half way down this section I broke the wall up by cutting some of the brick work out and adding in heavy ballast. The steps are spares from a Preiser H0 stone wall kit. The building is scratch built from Wills models scratch aids which were left overs from other builds. The doors are modified Dapol engine shed kit doors. The engine shed is made from plasticard and other odds and sods. The corrugated roof is made from the thin Wills models scratch aids corrugated sheets, and the buffer ballards in the shed are bits of balsa wood. For ballast I made a mix of different size and textured materials to break up the uniformity. I base coated the whole model in Matt black and then added a mist of Matt grey primer to highlight detail. Then after a lot of dry brushing I followed that up with a lot of weathering powders. I also use surgical spirit for adding detail and shape to some areas of the weathering. Then it is all fixed with Matt varnish. I didn’t purchase anything for the build, apart from some clear epoxy resin from the pound shop which I used for creating the puddles. I then added a touch of varnish to add ‘reflections’ from the light. Finally I added static grass to finish the model.

The stock

So the locomotive is a Backwoods miniatures kit of the Robert Stevenson and hawthorn crane tank, built to a 9mm gauge for narrow gauge prototypes. The kit has been modified with Roco H0e valve gears which are attached to the outside cranks. This is then painted, lined and then weathered. It has a seated driver in the cab which is a cut up Dapol 4mm figure. The name plates are from Narrow planet and read Trecrobenn which means Trencrom in Cornish. This is a Stone Age fort that looks down onto Hayle harbour.

The truck is a Dundas Models plastic kit.