North London 4-4-0T 3D Build in P4

Added some more brass.  In order to allow the smoke box/chassis to be detachable from the body the large pipe going into the top right side of the smoke box just clips in like the original 3D one.  The two side handrails can also be pulled out of the knobs.  The exquisite three part smoke box darts come from Gibson.  Evident in the second picture are the brakes which have now been glued onto the 0,5mm pin/supports.  These are the original 3D ones so no shorting risk.

Next to be added will be the sand box lids and operating rods.

post-7723-0-92003000-1546575452_thumb.jpgpost-7723-0-30001000-1546575474_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Some further details added.  Actuation rod and connecting mechanism for sand release from both sand boxes from brass strip, wire and handrail knobs.  Sand box fillers from styrene.  Cab handrails - brass strip on top of cab sides with 20 thou wire soldered and trimmed.

First visit to the paint shop with two brushed coats of Badger Modelflex Weathered Black.  This is the colour I recently painted my GVT Baldwin in and I'm still not sure I like it, however it does provide a nice semi-gloss finish for transfer application.  Buffer beams in Humbrol acrylic and buffers in Testors Acryl Steel.  Cab interior Rail Brown from Modelflex.  Still a little ragged in some places but final coats will fix the edges.

The buffers gave me pause for thought as I came across a Gibson set of Collet parallel body spring buffers that would have suited.  However in keeping with my objective of utilizing as much of the original body as possible I decided to stick with them even though I had to repair one that had chipped.

My prototype is NLR No 24 (2nd of 1880) as it was apparently the only narrow cab to survive into the 1920s.  The only picture I have shows it in 1919 still with original cast number plates however it did get re-numbered into LMS service as 6493.  Unfortunately the LMS livery and lining was applied differently on several locos so for fidelity I suppose I ought to try to get some No 24 number plates.....anyone know of a source?

post-7723-0-72154300-1547156638_thumb.jpgpost-7723-0-58732900-1547156664_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I’ve had Narrow Planet make NLR numberplates for me in the past. You’ll have to email them as they aren’t on the standard list.

Thanks Gareth, I'll contact them. Do they have all the information or do they need a spec of some sort?

It's a shame all your hard work and skill is let down by a poor base material.

It was the better, and more expensive of the two available at the time. I didn't realize that cleaning the surfaces with a fibre glass brush would leave scratch marks that only show up when painted.

I have added some weight in the form of lengths of 1/8" lead free solid solder (as available in the US) - 5 per side in the top of the tanks.  So it was time for an assembly and test after a little lube of the gears and axles.  The front handrails are not fitted - this will be done and them painted after final assembly.  The roof is also a poor fit, probably due to paint - still may fit a thin brass one as roof thickness is very noticeable.

Anyway here she is on my imaginary GWR BLT doing a bit of running in and safely negotiating the B6 turnout.  It always amazes me how little movement there is of the bogie on this type of short wheelbase 4-4-0.  Have just noticed in posting these that the rear wheel has exposed part of the rail top so may be close to falling off....must check the B to B although it ran through a dozen or so times under power....

Final painting and glazing will be next then couplings and steam pipes.  Transfers may well be the (incorrect) BR red and grey as per my inside cylinder 4-4-0 plus ordering NLR number plates - unless I decide on an LMS scheme.....  Actually might not be able to do much for several months due to travel and then a probable house move.

post-7723-0-70010300-1547825245_thumb.jpgpost-7723-0-55390000-1547825277_thumb.jpg

And for comparison the rest of the motive power fleet.  Peter K and GEM/Branchlines kits.

post-7723-0-35363700-1547827239_thumb.jpgpost-7723-0-32334300-1547827373_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jeff Smith
  • Like 13

• 3 weeks later...

As mentioned above I will be away from actual modelling for the next two months at least, possibly longer if I move house and live in a caravan (trailer in the US) for the summer.  However I will be hanging around on RMweb.....

With regard to this thread I believe I can safely claim that the 3D/P4 conversion was generally a success.  The model, together with my O-16.5 Baldwin will get finished sometime.  The fact that pick up seems sound just on the four drivers whilst negotiating points is a testament to both compensation and P4 track tolerances.

• 1 year later...

Well finally moved house and organised my model/art room, including a shelf for the GWR BLT.

Applied the lining transfers, Modelmaster BR mixed freight - not accurate but matches the Peter K 4-4-0.  Also the number plates courtesy of Narrow Planet.

I have attempted to photograph the model from the same angle as the photo it's based on.

No 24.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 7 months later...