Dundas Coach Kits

wollastonblue

Just a quick question before I hurl myself into the realms of 009 modelling. I am looking at building a small rake (2) of Dundas freelance panelled coaches. After much searching I'm a little confused about the couplings to use. Dundas say bemo, but can I use peco couplings as they are cheaper and easier to get hold of?

The old Peco couplings are also supposed to be compatible although will require the buffing face filing slightly to work reliably - the new ones are better. Bemo probably refers to the type (i.e. with a hook and lifting wire loop) rather than specifically those manufactured by Bemo. Some 009 modellers use Microtrains or Rapido couplings rather than Bemo but the Bemo style is much more widely used, along with the similar Greenwich couplings. The Bemo type is also found on the vast majority of RTR stock.

• RMweb Premium

Ideally you want all your stock to have compatible couplings. Most 009 RTR stuff comes fitted with a 'Bemo' style coupling that work with other makes. The latest Peco version (GR-102 + GR-103) will do, as will the Greenwich coupling (which will give hands free magnetic uncoupling).

Yes, as the others have said, it's a bit of a generic term in 009 modelling. The actual Bemo couplings are getting pretty expensive these days and you'll find most of the other similar ones much cheaper. Like a lot of people I use the Greenwich type which are reasonably unobtrusive and much, much cheaper than Bemo. They are compatible with Bemo and Peco couplings and very easy to build for hands f free uncoupling. They do need folding up but once you've done a few it becomes quite a quick process.

Parkside Dundas (as Dundas Models became/was) also used to stock the actual Bemo couplings.

The Peco GR-101 can be made into good couplings, but it does take quite a bit of fiddling,filing and faffing about.

Apart from the problems with the front face that I mentioned before, threading the loop through the hole in the plastic bit can be frustrating, particularly if the glue fills the hole. I was tempted to give up on these but I feel I might be skilled enough to make them work now, which I wasn’t when I built a lot of my wagons that use them. Are they going to continue in production now the GR-102 has been introduced?

They are still listed on Peco's website.

Yes, I used to have that problem, but now I use just one moulding per coupling and use black styrene sheet (30 thou." I think) to build up the loophole  and front face. I also drill through the pivot hole once it's thoroughly set and add a little undercut behind the upright, adding a degree of tension lock which helps keep the loops coupled better.