O North American Product News & Videos

mdvle

• 3 weeks later...

Trainworld Virtual Train Show - Bachmann - details on website next Wednesday

- Williams Eggliner - $229 - Easter, Halloween, Christmas - basically 2 ends of observation car put together to make an egg shaped car when viewed from above.  Has previously been available in larger scales.

[edit]

link to the large scale version so people can get an idea of what it is:

https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=255_1068

Edited by mdvle

Trainworld Virtual Train Show - Atlas.

Arriving next month, not previously announced.  2 paint schemes on their 25,500 gallon tank cars

• both are real tank cars observed near Atlas
  • martial arts fighter - graffiti of martial arts characters - really well done graffiti, more like art - ADMX 28589
  • Louisiana hot sauce - TILX 263160

[edit]

haven't found pictures yet of the martial arts tank, but this is what the hot sauce tank car looks like

Louisiana Hot Sauce Tank Car

Edited by mdvle

2 updates from last weeks announcements.

Atlas has an arriving catalog and the last page (60) has photos of their 2 announced tank cars

http://download.atlasrr.com/Summer2020ArrivalsCatalog.pdf

Bachmann have posted a PDF with their announcement from last week (O is the last page):

https://resources.bachmanntrains.com/2020_New_Releases/2020_New_releases.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

Atlas September - Preorders due October 14th, eta 2Q 2021

Master - New Model - 40' Reefer Container - NYK LInes, K-Line, Maersk Sealand, ONE

Master - 33,000 Gallon Tank Car - GNLX, Transerv Systems, Genstar Chemicals, Pennsy, PC, NS Safety Train, Solar Gas, Petrolane

Trainman - Bay Window Caboose - Long Island, CGW, Chessie, EL (Bi-Centennial), NYSW, Southern, UP "Railroad Police", NS "Research"

http://download.atlasrr.com/0820MCPDF/AUG2020AMSCMSRPOnly.pdf

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Atlas November/December 2020 - preorders due January 13th 2021, eta 3Q2021

Master - 40' Rebuilt Wood Reefer - Lackawanna, PFE, Burlington, FGE, Roberts & Oake, Western Refrigerator Lines

Trainman - Bulkhead Flat Car - TTX, BNSF, General American, NS, Department of Defense

Operating Oil Pump - new paint schemes

http://download.atlasrr.com/1120MCPDF/2020NOVDECMSRPOnly1.pdf

• 2 months later...

Atlas January - pre-orders due February 17th

Master - 11,000 Gallon Tank Car - Allied Chemical, Atlantic Refining, Dow Canada, Polysar, Smith Douglass, Tidewater Associated, Warren

Master - PS-4427 Hopper - ADM, CMA, Gold KIST, Peavey Company, Tabor & Company, Indian Farm Bureau CO-OP, Scoutar, Valley Mills

http://download.atlasrr.com/0121MCPDF/0121ASMCMSRPOnly.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Atlas - March 2021 - preorders due April 14th - eta 4th Quarter 2021

Master - 17,360 Gallon Tank Car - GATX, HOKX, Kaiser Chemicals, Pennwalt, PPGX, SHPX, Hooker

Trainman - 70 Ton 3-Bay Open Hopper - B&O (ex-C&O), Burlington, Cambria & Indiana, Richmond Fredericksburg & Potomac, SCL, Southern

http://download.atlasrr.com/0321MCPDF/March2021ASMCMSRPOnly.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Atlas - first MTH tooling release 70' Madison Heavyweight Passenger Cars - full announcement to follow, estimated arrival of September 2021

Available in Boston & Maine, US Army, Southern, Pittsburgh & West Virginia, Reading Blue Mountain & Northern (Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway), Pennsy, B&O, Gulf Mobile & Ohio.

https://shop.atlasrr.com/b-atlas-reveals-first-mth-model.aspx?mc_cid=204564e75c&mc_eid=UNIQID

• 1 month later...

I'm happy to be told I'm wrong/easily disappointed/living in the past, but the announcement offers only 3-rail :scared:

The announcement is Atlas's quick, first response from buying at MTH's Closing Down - Traders' Sale, so there's a lot more that can come. 

2-railing 3-rail stock (not locos) isn't too difficult, but replacement 2-rail wheels and couplers should at least be mentioned and have been available already from Atlas...?  In the past, 2- and 3-rail versions of all Atlas rail-models have been available.

Many of you will know I used to be an Atlas dealer here in the UK and I have asked Atlas questions by email, but no response....  I'll stop now :senile:

Jason

• Friendly/supportive 1

So, I don't follow O closely, and I suspect there may be reason for concern, but I wouldn't base it just on the passenger car announcement - wait and see what next month brings.

That announcement seems to be specifically aimed at the matching MTH steam loco - and at a guess it has been designed to introduce the MTH faithful to Atlas by saying here is a loco you want and by the way the passenger cars are available from this new supplier.  So keep things nice and simple for the MTH faithful and don't panic them by suddenly being different, particularly when the new owner is possibly someone they have shunned in the past.

(I am basing the above on the discussions in the S scale community with ScaleTrains buying the MTH S line - where all the American Flyer fans, as few as they are, were insisting that everything in S must remain American Flyer compatible).

At a guess we will have a better idea of what plans Atlas have next month with the O only catalog - but it wouldn't surprise me if in O Atlas moves more to the MTH/Lionel 3-rail market.  My opinion, merely based on the O announcements from Atlas - or, more accurately how little O has been announced in the last couple of years - is that the 2-rail O market hasn't grown as Atlas hoped leaving them as the proverbial odd-man-out in the Lionel/MTH universe. 

Edited by mdvle
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Yes, you're right ... 20 years ago Atlas always brought smiles to us O-scalers faces - even us oldies.  MTH had all those Pacifics being wired up in China and Atlas may have been offered the tooling for the psgr cars really cheap.  A stand-alone catalogue is good news.

2-rail growth?  Yes, right again, in the last century InterMountain started with (nearly) shake-the-box O-scale 1930s frt cars.  Even I didn't want any of their chosen prototypes!

Anyway, Anoraks Anonymous will be making us all more cheerful soon.

Jason

4 hours ago, mdvle said:

how little O has been announced in the last couple of years - is that the 2-rail O market hasn't grown as Atlas hoped 

The thing is, they (Atlas) had issues with their Chinese suppliers even before Covid, and announcements and new 2-rail models dried up, so it's no surprise the sector hasn't grown.

Seems to me that a significant difference between 2- & 3-rail modellers is that 3-railers will stick to a Brand, and buy whatever they make, regardless of accuracy or Era. In contrast 2-railers are interested in a Prototype & want what they need to represent it, regardless of the manufacturer's name on the models. So they are less likely to buy something just because so-&-so makes it.

In short & sweeping terms, are most 3-railers really Collectors, and 2-railers Modellers?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I'm sure Atlas are just doing this run for ... er, oh yes ... children ...? 

Their 3-rail frt cars are usually just wheelsets and couplers away from being excellent for us 2-railers.

WARNING - 3-rail only  - would make a good sticker for so many US hobby shops.

Jason

15 hours ago, jasond said:

Yes, I'm sure Atlas are just doing this run for ... er, oh yes ... children ...? 

I think there is something of a market for this stuff among the Lionel and MTH crowd, I seem to recall seeing these sorts of special runs from both of them in the past.

That said, I could see them being popular on layouts at trains shows / club open houses at the appropriate time of year in addition to the child/grandchild wanting to run it on a parent/grandparents layout - or under the Christmas tree (or, thinking about it, a small Halloween layout setup on a front porch given how over the top some people take Halloween decorating...)

Their 3-rail frt cars are usually just wheelsets and couplers away from being excellent for us 2-railers.

I'm not into O so can't comment, except to point out this particular item appears to be from their MTH purchase - note is isn't Trainman or Master but Premier, and Atlas bought MTH's Premier line.

Whether that makes a difference for the 2-railers or not I don't know.

WARNING - 3-rail only  - would make a good sticker for so many US hobby shops.

In fairness to the hobby shops, they are simply stocking what the US O scale market wants.

7 hours ago, mdvle said:

note is isn't Trainman or Master but Premier, and Atlas bought MTH's Premier line.

Whether that makes a difference for the 2-railers or not I don't know.

It could well do. My 50ft Hi-cubes are MTH Premier, and they scrub up very well, albeit I fitted them with Atlas roller bearing trucks.

20210307_194706.jpg.838fddf82bb299502f438421cced1907.jpg

20200111_210717.jpg.78fe444d9589ad691704c10177c707f8.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For those willing to flirt with penury and divorce by goi g into American O Scale, the May  newsletter from Sunset makes good reading.  For me the two standouts are an Amtrak E60 and a Milwaukee EP 3, both with a choice of 2 rail and 3 rail.

https://gem.godaddy.com/s/39be511.

I'll stay safe for the time being but that EP 3 does look inviting.

Jamie

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Atlas - June 2021 - preorders due July 28th - eta 4Q2021

(note: items with * are limited quantity items)

This is the first real release with the ex-MTH tooling - Atlas is retaining the "Premier" branding for the MTH tooling and it remains 3-rail only.

Master - ALL NEW TOOLING - 2-rail and 3-rail available - Gunderson Multi-Max Auto Rack - BNSF, CP-Soo, KCS, NS, UP

* Premier - 44 Tonner - Burlington, EL, Maine Central, Napa Valley Wine Train, SF, US Steel

Premier - SD40-2 - BN, C&NW, CSX, Milwaukee Road, Pan Am, UP, Wisconsin & Southern (40th Anniversary)

* Premier - 40' PS-1 Boxcar - GTW, L&N, NYC, Rock Island, Seaboard Air Line, UP

* Premier - 2-Bay Offset Hopper - C&NW, D&H, GN, L&N, MP, N&W

Premier - 50' Gunderson High Cube Boxcar - Arkansas-Oklahoma, CP, GATX, International Bridge and Terminal (Boise Cascade), Southern Railway of British Columbia, TTX, TTX (On Track for a Cure - Pink/Black)

Premier - 50' Airslide Hopper - ADM Milling, BNSF (Buffer Car), Clinton Corn Processing, Corn Products, Denver & Rio Grande, Peavey

Premier - 8k Gallon Tank Car - Beer (Generic), Jax, Lone Star, Olympia, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Primo, Schlitz, Strohs

Atlas O Hillside Structure Kits

(dimensions in inches)

NEW - "Margie's Macchiatos" Coffee Shop kit (9.75 x 5.25 x 8)

NEW - "Steve's Music Store" Shop Building kit (9.75 x 5.25 x 8)

NEW - "Wilson's Gas & Go" Service Station kit (11.75 x 8.125 x 4.625)

https://download.atlasrr.com/0621MCPDF/JUNE2021OMSRPOnly.pdf?mc_cid=f65aaa7240&mc_eid=UNIQID

My first reactions to the rolling stock:

Autorack - had to wipe my chin then!  The Lionel ones are lovely too, but you don't have to change the wheels on the Atlas and they look like 28" wheels or they wouldn't have had to say 'new tooling'.  True 'up there' Atlas!

The MTH high ...(sorry had to wipe my chin again) cube 50ft boxcar and the Airslide hopper are nice, still got the MTH version of the hopper, the boxcar was eased, finger-by-finger, out of my grasp down the club up in Morecambe.  Trucks/couplers job.

Lionel's version of the PS-1 40ft boxcar is still my fav (the ends), the 2-bay hoppers?, need to see one and the beer tankers?  Well, they're promising a special price on a set of 8.  A bottle of each brand might have been better, but I suppose 3-rail is for kids :sarcastic:

The diesels are 3-rail.  If all us 2-railers shout loud enough Atlas may do the obvious upgrades, but not just a wheels/coupler fix.  They'll know....

Jason

• Like 1