Connecting monitor to PC

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold

I hope this question is in the correct part of the Forum.

I purchased a refurbished pc and screen for use in my railway shed. No manuals were supplied hence asking the question here.

The pc has an HDMI port but there is no HDMI port on the monitor. However there is a port that is described as a "display port" and looks similar to but not quite the same as an HDMI port. An HDMI cable will not fit as the design is slightly different.

I have purchased an "HDMI to Display port" cable but I am apprehensive about connecting everything up with it in case I do damage.

Can any of you IT savy members advise please?

Thanks

Colin

"Display port" is one of those odd lets-see-if-we-can-add-ANOTHER-different-connector-when-we-already-have-sufficient-useful-designs!!!

My laptop has a "Display port" and the simple adapter you can get, I use one with a short 8" cable between the two styles, works just fine to connect the laptop to an HDMI monitor. The reverse will also work.

Edited by Ian Abel

• 4 weeks later...

I hope this question is in the correct part of the Forum.

I purchased a refurbished pc and screen for use in my railway shed. No manuals were supplied hence asking the question here.

The pc has an HDMI port but there is no HDMI port on the monitor. However there is a port that is described as a "display port" and looks similar to but not quite the same as an HDMI port. An HDMI cable will not fit as the design is slightly different.

I have purchased an "HDMI to Display port" cable but I am apprehensive about connecting everything up with it in case I do damage.

Can any of you IT savy members advise please?

Thanks

Colin

DisplayPort is compatible with HDMI so a lead with the appropriate plugs at either end will be OK. Displayport is far from being just another standard imposed on PC users, it is the ideal way to display on several screens from a single PC.

Richard