Hornby Magazine Issue 137 November 2018

AireValley1962

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, thanks, I will take another look. It might be hidden somewhere.

The Signal box kit outer skin layer is printed on A4 pages bound into the magazine itself after page 42 - 4 pages. Needs card behind etc to complete. 

Regards

Basil Stephens

Agree....

There isn't a download, so you do actually have to get hold of a copy of the magazine....and extract the printed pages which are not at one end of the magazine.....I have had a look!

I wonder if there will be a download code for non-paper subscribers? ;)

Edited by Sarahagain

Hornby Magazine Issue 137 November 2018

post-12119-0-22634600-1539369649.jpg

https://hornbymagazine.keypublishing.com/the-magazine/view-issue/?issueID=7588

WE SHOW YOU HOW

WORKBENCH
Tim Shackleton looks to the East Coast route’s heavy freight 2-8-0s as he demonstrates how to model some of the more unusual prototypes.

TRACKWORK
Nigel Burkin shows you how to construct strong and reliable hand-built turnouts, with plenty of hints and tips along the way.

CONSTRUCTION
Ever wondered how to make your layout appear bigger? Tim Shackleton believes it’s all a matter of perspective.

DIGITAL CONTROL
Mike Wild installs digital sound in Hornby’s Class 67 using the manufacturer’s Twin Track Sound (TTS) decoder with an improved speaker for optimum audio performance.

FIRST REVIEWS

Heljan’S ‘O’ GAUGE GWR ‘61XX’ 2-6-2T

Bachmann’S BR MK2F RFB FOR ‘OO’

Bachmann’S ‘OO’ FGA/FFA FREIGHTLINER FLATS

Hornby TWIN TRACK SOUND HST POWER CARS

NEW RELEASES FROM ...
Bachmann, Hatton’s, Heljan, Hornby and more.

ALSO INSIDE …

BUILDING YOUR FREE KIT
Scalescenes’ John Wiffen shows you how to build your free ‘OO’ gauge 1940s Air Raid Precaution (ARP) signalbox kit.

EDITORIAL
Mike Wild introduces the latest issue of Hornby Magazine.

UPDATE
All the latest news from Hornby HQ, new announcements from Dapol and Revolution Trains, we preview Spalding Model Railway Exhibition and much more. Plus you could win a Hornby Class 67 with custom-fitted Twin Track Sound, worth more than £200.

BEWDLEY
A visit to the Severn Valley Railway spurred Graham Heald into turning the clock back and modelling Bewdley in the 1960s to stunning effect. Alisdair Macdonald explains all.

Hornby POST
Your views, opinions and comments from the Hornby Magazine postbag.

WEST COAST – SOUTHERN SECTION
Built mostly for watching the trains go by, Andrew Armitage’s busy ‘N’ gauge West Coast Main Line scene is set in the 1970s, inspired by his formative railway career during this era.

REALITY CHECK
Evan Green-Hughes recalls the Great Western Railway’s ‘61XX’ 2-6-2Ts to mark the arrival of Heljan’s new ‘O’ gauge model.

WOOD’S WHARF
Wood’s Wharf depicts a picturesque canal side operation in ‘O’ gauge, demonstrating just what can be achieved in the scale as Peter Bailey explains.

RAILWAY REALISM
Once connecting the length and breadth of the country, Evan Green-Hughes looks back at the final years of mail by rail.

SHOW GUIDE
Hornby Magazine’s comprehensive guide to forthcoming events.

Edited by Sarahagain

Agree....

There isn't a download, so you do actually have to get hold of a copy of the magazine....and extract the printed pages which are not at one end of the magazine.....I have had a look!

I wonder if there will be a download code for non-paper subscribers? ;)

I suppose it might, but then it’s simple enough to print it off the screen, to either paper or a pdf file.

On another matter, the competition for a Hornby 67 is not on the magazine website. (https://hornbymagazine.keypublishing.com/competitions/)

Any idea when it will be there?

• RMweb Premium

I bought the magazine because I was interested in Tim Shackleton's article on altering Hornby's O1 2-8-0, and changing Bachmann's Robinson GCR O4 2-8-0 to a Thompson 04/8 with straight boiler.

The latter is fascinating, as Tim Shackleton found a Bachmann B1 boiler and cab was more or less a straight fit on to the O4 (apart from building up (down?) the lower part of the boiler with styrene sheet and filler). I was surprised the B1 boiler is long enough - I'd have assumed it would be necessary to extend the boiler, which would have complicated the conversion substantially..

So a fascinating article but, alas, spoilt by squeezing 19 excellent photographs on to 2 pages - the photographs of the conversion process are all much too small.

I hope the editorial team note this for future articles. Please don't spoil a good article, especially a' show you how'', by squeezing good photographs down to tiny size.

John Storey

I bought the magazine because I was interested in Tim Shackleton's article on altering Hornby's O1 2-8-0, and changing Bachmann's Robinson GCR O4 2-8-0 to a Thompson 04/8 with straight boiler.

The latter is fascinating, as Tim Shackleton found a Bachmann B1 boiler and cab was more or less a straight fit on to the O4 (apart from building up (down?) the lower part of the boiler with styrene sheet and filler). I was surprised the B1 boiler is long enough - I'd have assumed it would be necessary to extend the boiler, which would have complicated the conversion substantially..

So a fascinating article but, alas, spoilt by squeezing 19 excellent photographs on to 2 pages - the photographs of the conversion process are all much too small.

I hope the editorial team note this for future articles. Please don't spoil a good article, especially a' show you how'', by squeezing good photographs down to tiny size.

John Storey

That means I'll have to buy it then. :)

I've already got most of the bits to do this conversion. Unfortunately it seems that Replica is out of B1 bodies for those that need them.

Jason

• Like 1

I bought the magazine mainly because of the kit. I was looking for something that size to help me design an ARP signal box for my own layout(not OO and I am actually not that keen on card kits). It is a nice looking design(considering its brutish austerity look), but it is not an LMS design, more a mixture of LMS and GWR.

The windows are wrong, the roof is wrong for starters, but I still could use it to help me with my own design. Most of the LMS ARP signal boxes were bigger, a least 5 front windows, but I have found one, not actually installed untill1949, at Town Green station on the Ormskirk to Liverpool line. This is about same size as the kit one, so maybe there were others.

Pity, especially as Ratio are bringing out a proper LMS ARP signal box(5 window), but I do now have my own design for a smaller version.