Accurascale announce Rawie Buffer Stops in 4mm

• RMweb Premium
On 04/12/2019 at 20:31, Georgeconna said:

Despite the escalation in concern about single use plastic packaging there seems to be no end to companies using single use plastic. With Peco going non Eco switching from Carboard to fancy plastic cartons for a few sqaure of walling or tiles I am feeling very guitly of buying such items now.

Hi

My bold above. Just because its plastic doesn't mean its single use and non recyclable

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus
clarity
  • Agree 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Fran,

Just got an email to say your Rawie Buffer Stops with LED are low in stocks and about to sell out thus just wanted to know if you do sell out will Accurascale produce more of them in the future?

Do want to get a few of them but not at this point in time hence the question.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Hi Fran,

Just got an email to say your Rawie Buffer Stops with LED are low in stocks and about to sell out thus just wanted to know if you do sell out will Accurascale produce more of them in the future?

Do want to get a few of them but not at this point in time hence the question.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

We have more underway in the factory so we will keep these in stock. In the meantime they are likely to sell out for a couple of weeks before the new ones arrive. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 months later...

Quick question folks on the Rawie with coupler pocket. Out of interest would a loco with a standard NEM mini hook/hoop coupler foul the pocket on the buffer stop preventing the buffers from toughing the stops (or does the postion/height allow the coupler to pass under these (and so allowing loco buffers and stops to work as intended)? Thanks if anyone could confirm (hope my question is understood/makes sense).

My understanding is that under normal operation the buffers on a train are not supposed to come into contact with a buffer stop: if they do it is considered to be a collision.  I believe a driver is supposed to stop 2m away from the buffer stop.  Therefore, if you are driving your trains prototypically, it shouldn't matter.  However, if you are asking in relation to the event where you accidently drive your train into the buffer stop, then I'm sorry, I don't know the answer as I don't have any of these buffer stops.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dungrange said:

My understanding is that under normal operation the buffers on a train are not supposed to come into contact with a buffer stop: if they do it is considered to be a collision.  I believe a driver is supposed to stop 2m away from the buffer stop.  Therefore, if you are driving your trains prototypically, it shouldn't matter.  However, if you are asking in relation to the event where you accidently drive your train into the buffer stop, then I'm sorry, I don't know the answer as I don't have any of these buffer stops.

It will depend on where the buffers are installed and what the train is as to whether you can buffer up to them. A lit buffer in a bay platform, for example, is considered a fixed stop signal and I believe you are right, to make contact is considered a SPAD. 

If the buffer is in a yard, the rules will be different and buffering up against it may be required. 

I am not aware of there being a fixed 2m distance, and a quick Google shows locos stabled much closer than that. See this on Flickr for example: https://flic.kr/p/S5wpcq

Roy

5 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I am not aware of there being a fixed 2m distance

RSSB Guidance Note GI/GN7616 that provides "Guidance on Interface between Station Platforms, Track and Trains" states that "The distance between the front of a train at its intended stopping position and the face of a buffer stop should not be less than 2 m (paragraph G 7.1.5)".  

https://docplayer.net/30046939-Gi-gn7616-guidance-on-interface-between-station-platforms-track-and-trains-rail-industry-guidance-note-for-gi-rt7016.html

However, I understand that local instructions can override that, albeit my understanding is that a driver is still supposed to stop the train at least two metres from the buffer stop and then if necessary, move it closer (ie in some locations, it is necessary to reduce the distance between the buffers and the buffer stop to permit a train of a particular type to fit in a particular platform).

The same seems to be true for permissive working into an occupied platform: the driver is supposed to stop at least two metres from an existing unit and then once stopped, draw forward and couple up if required.

However, since I don't work in the rail industry, that is only my understanding from on-line research, so I'm happy to actually be corrected by someone who drives trains for a living and will therefore be much more knowledgeable than I am on the finer details.

• RMweb Gold
On 25/05/2021 at 19:00, 25901 said:

Better inform some DRS drivers, this one has left more than normal lol (York 25/04/21)WP_20210425_13_58_42_Pro.jpg.c4820b7e6950ee94cceebcc3e72c9052.jpg

Not lit so not a SPAD by my understanding.  As for the link to RSSB above that @Dungrangeposted, that only relates to buffers on platforms that are for passenger use. It does not apply to stabling points for locos or multiple units and specifically notes that " Walkways used for staff only are not considered to be platforms."

Edit: I do not know if it still the case (and I am sure some people on this forum will know the case now) but DRS drivers used to have to stop twice before moving to buffer up / stable. IIRC it was 5m short, 2m short and then buffer up. It could be checked on OTMR and there was action if this did not show to be the case.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo