Lifecolor Paints

halsey

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I'm just starting to play with weathering and have bought a selection of old Hornby wagons and a selection of materials - powders from Langley Models, Humbrol enamel wash, and lifecolor rail weathering set - the first two behave as expected BUT the Lifecolor isn't painting on to the "raw" plastic of the wagons does it need a primer?? If so why don't they say so!

I've read a few reviews of this product and not noticed the need for primer so am I doing something wrong?? Also it doesn't seem very thick in the jar even though they talk about diluting

Yes I've stirred it well - is it possible I've got a duff lot??

Hand brush not airbrush

HELP/advice please.

Edited by halsey

Hi,

I'm just starting to play with weathering and have bought a selection of old Hornby wagons and a selection of materials - powders from Langley Models, Humbrol enamel wash, and lifecolor rail weathering set - the first two behave as expected BUT the Lifecolor isn't painting on to the "raw" plastic of the wagons does it need a primer?? If so why don't they say so!

I've read a few reviews of this product and not noticed the need for primer so am I doing something wrong?? Also it doesn't seem very thick in the jar even though they talk about diluting

Yes I've stirred it well - is it possible I've got a duff lot??

Hand brush not airbrush

HELP/advice please.

Acrylics don't often 'stick' to RTR paint finishes on the first coat(s). It's worth putting a couple of thin washes of paint (ie diluted with water) first to allow the following coats to 'grip'. This also helps with weathering powders as they suffer from the same problem - or you can mix with water to increase 'grip'.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for this reply the problem it has now been picked up under another topic and I have realized that it needs a primer (matt varnish).

It is badly sold/labelled as it clearly won't stick to rails or Loco running gear so is very limited needs supporting products so is very expensive and I wouldn't have bought it had I know this.

Lesson learned avoid acrylics unless you can afford to grey prime everything first without harm/issues!

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

I use Liecolour acrylics all the time on Hornby/Bachmann locos and coaches. I've never had any issues. I never dilute them as they are designed to be sprayed through an airbrush. Acrylics do dry faster than enamels and in hot weather can be almost dry before hitting the model so maybe something to do with the climate? What type of airbrush are you using? At what pressure?

• RMweb Gold

I use Liecolour acrylics all the time on Hornby/Bachmann locos and coaches. I've never had any issues. I never dilute them as they are designed to be sprayed through an airbrush. Acrylics do dry faster than enamels and in hot weather can be almost dry before hitting the model so maybe something to do with the climate? What type of airbrush are you using? At what pressure?

Hi I'm hand brushing not airbrushing